M!C's News Compilation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
sargunv
Site Admin

Re: M!C's News Compilation

Post by sargunv »

Stormweaver wrote:but being able to just select a configuration from a list would be a damned sight more convenient.
That's exactly what the patcher allows you to do.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

sargunster wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:but being able to just select a configuration from a list would be a damned sight more convenient.
That's exactly what the patcher allows you to do.
Yes, but it's not in the launcher, is it?

Do you really think people who have trouble installing mods in the first place know that the patcher can do it for them? I love the patcher personally (and I do use it) but for the community as a whole, it's the kind of functionality that should come with minecraft in the first place.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

For people who are still manually copying stuff, this is how the patcher works. I can easily add other mods to this list and if I change the checkboxes, it takes me about 3 seconds to change my mod configuration. You can save the patcher config file in multiple copies too, so you just rename the config file, run the patcher and get a completely different mod install.

Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Stormweaver wrote:Do you really think people who have trouble installing mods in the first place know that the patcher can do it for them? I love the patcher personally (and I do use it) but for the community as a whole, it's the kind of functionality that should come with minecraft in the first place.
Yes, I believe that the patcher can do it (though TBH with the number of mods I have it would probably take longer than copy-pasting!). Do you think everyone does? No. Do you think people who can't install mods are going to be browsing the off topic section of a forum specifically for a mod? That's why it would be a good idea for Notch to implement this.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

pi4t wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Do you really think people who have trouble installing mods in the first place know that the patcher can do it for them? I love the patcher personally (and I do use it) but for the community as a whole, it's the kind of functionality that should come with minecraft in the first place.
Yes, I believe that the patcher can do it (though TBH with the number of mods I have it would probably take longer than copy-pasting!). Do you think everyone does? No. Do you think people who can't install mods are going to be browsing the off topic section of a forum specifically for a mod? That's why it would be a good idea for Notch to implement this.
So...I...umm...

You know, when people quote what you say, and proceed to make more or less the same point you did in a tone that sounds like they're disagreeing, It's damned confusing :| Might just be because I'm a touch sleep deprived (trying to fix a sleep pattern that had gone a full 12 hours out of synch) but still :s
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Yeah, that's why I use Minecraft Profile Manager. It can't install the mods, but it makes it easier to switch between setups (while keeping them separate so you don't break your worlds by opening them with the wrong .jar acitve).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Stormweaver wrote:
pi4t wrote:
So...I...umm...

You know, when people quote what you say, and proceed to make more or less the same point you did in a tone that sounds like they're disagreeing, It's damned confusing :| Might just be because I'm a touch sleep deprived (trying to fix a sleep pattern that had gone a full 12 hours out of synch) but still :s
Sorry, completely my fault. I was in a rush, and I somehow missed the 'Do you really think that' and thought you'd said 'Do you know that the patcher...' I guess that'll teach me not to put up a post in response to something without reading it first. So yes, I completely got the wrong end of the stick. Please ignore me.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

pi4t wrote:Yes, I believe that the patcher can do it (though TBH with the number of mods I have it would probably take longer than copy-pasting!)
How can it take longer? That doesn't make sense. That's like saying "Yes, cars are faster, but with all the miles I'm doing, it's faster to just take my bike".
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Gilberreke wrote:
pi4t wrote:Yes, I believe that the patcher can do it (though TBH with the number of mods I have it would probably take longer than copy-pasting!)
How can it take longer? That doesn't make sense. That's like saying "Yes, cars are faster, but with all the miles I'm doing, it's faster to just take my bike".
Because if I've understood the patcher correctly, I'd have to manually click a tickbox for each mod I want to install/uninstall, not to mention remember them all. With my method I can just have all the mods in one copy-paste of the jar and mods folder. It's more equivalent to travelling by nether vs travelling by IC2's teleporter: for small changes the patcher may be better, but for big changes between two specific things that happen regularly I think copy-pasting would be better.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

pi4t wrote:Because if I've understood the patcher correctly, I'd have to manually click a tickbox for each mod I want to install/uninstall, not to mention remember them all. With my method I can just have all the mods in one copy-paste of the jar and mods folder. It's more equivalent to travelling by nether vs travelling by IC2's teleporter: for small changes the patcher may be better, but for big changes between two specific things that happen regularly I think copy-pasting would be better.
First of all, the patcher visualizes what mods we are talking about exactly. This is very important. You have to work with descriptive jar names, which is less than ideal. When updating mods or minecraft, I will be orders of magnitudes faster to upgrade than with different jars too.

In terms of changing single mods around, patcher is faster.
In terms of changing multiple mod profiles, the jar copies are faster.

So, we have a patcher that is better for everything except a quick mod profile switch, that alone would make me use it. Then there's the fact that I can actually keep copies of the patcher config files, which makes that point moot.

Patcher is better, more clear and more advanced in every single way AND it saves on HD space and redundancy (you have to copy a new version of a mod into every profile that uses it).
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I use different .minecraft folders all together. For example I had one for the mod secession game. I have one for the install guide, one for BTW + BC, one with BC + Tele Pipes for a sever I play one, and finally one with pure BTW. To switch, although it may be a bit harder to do, but I just have to backup my world, delete the .minecraft folder and replace it with the new one. I am not saying this is more efficient, but for me at least, it makes things less likely to mess up when I physically (as physically as you can on a computer) do it.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

The patcher DOES have an option to save and load profiles.

I do agree that it would be nice if this option was in the game itself, but it's not hard to do it already.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

sargunster wrote:The patcher DOES have an option to save and load profiles.
I learn something new every day :)

Well, that settles it then.
Urian

Post by Urian »

This thread is rather interesting. I check it every few days and the topic of discussion has always changed (and rarely has anything to do with the news, but this is the off-topic section) :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
M!C

Post by M!C »

Urian wrote:This thread is rather interesting. I check it every few days and the topic of discussion has always changed (and rarely has anything to do with the news, but this is the off-topic section) :)
I think so far (almost) everything discussed here originated with some of the news ... ;)
The current topic of discussion for example came up because of Notch's announcement of a new launcher ...
Then Stormweaver wished a certain functionality would be included in it. A functionality the HDpatcher provides already ... and voila! There we are. :P
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Well if we were only to comment directly on the twitter posts, the thread would be fairly dead :p

*looks at date*

Though there should hopefully be a flood of new info by tommorow. I'm just hoping that this 'final' version of minecraft has some form of support for mods; it's long overdue, however you look at it.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Stormweaver wrote:Well if we were only to comment directly on the twitter posts, the thread would be fairly dead :p
Don't get me wrong, I like it the way it is now.
Stormweaver wrote: *looks at date*

Though there should hopefully be a flood of new info by tommorow.
True, but that info won't come via twitter or blog, I bet. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Though there should hopefully be a flood of new info by tommorow. I'm just hoping that this 'final' version of minecraft has some form of support for mods; it's long overdue, however you look at it.
Notch's blog post has already said that they didn't get any mod support in, and implied that they'd be doing that in the near future.

But again...mod support really isn't that big a deal if they've followed their stated plan.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:But again...mod support really isn't that big a deal if they've followed their stated plan.
Maybe not mod support, but compatibility between SMP and SSP code would be a big deal... I think he said something about doing that in the past, but did he mention if this is one of this changes?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Maybe not mod support, but compatibility between SMP and SSP code would be a big deal... I think he said something about doing that in the past, but did he mention if this is one of this changes?
Nah man, as far as I know, the only difference between the release version and the last release candidate is a few bug fixes and some tweaks to terrain generation.

I'm playing through the last release candidate now to get a feel for the final release, and I doubt I'll bother doing so again once it officially comes out.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Oh well... I guess I'll just be happy with what we have. Though I am pretty curious about the final release. I haven't played any other release since 1.8.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Btw I figured I should ask here but anyone know when the full release will be released? I've been pretty much holding off playing MC for a couple days because of this release and me wanting to start a new world (I got fed up of my island world which I have yet to find a largish plot of land in that ocean).
M!C

Post by M!C »

Deepsniper wrote:Btw I figured I should ask here but anyone know when the full release will be released? I've been pretty much holding off playing MC for a couple days because of this release and me wanting to start a new world (I got fed up of my island world which I have yet to find a largish plot of land in that ocean).
Today, 1 PM Las Vegas time. Though Notch might do some talking before releasing it and then again release on Minecon could be different from release on internet ... so I'm not sure.
EDIT: Here's the link to the livestream again.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

AKA 1 hour from now :) That sounds awsome :) I have yet to touch any of the pre released material so this should be fun.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Deepsniper wrote:AKA 1 hour from now :) That sounds awsome :) I have yet to touch any of the pre released material so this should be fun.
Ok, now these two together tell me that MC1 won't be released at 1 o'clock ...
04:52 PM
Jens Bergensten
Minecraft will be released during Notch's keynote today!
http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/137558830040104961

Friday, 11/18

1 - 2:30 PM PT Notch Keynote and Minecraft Launch
4 - 5 PM PT Mojang Panel: Scrolls and Cobalt Demos

Saturday, 11/19

11:15 - 12:15 PM PT Mojang Developers' Panel
1:30 - 2:30 PM PT Yogscast Panel
4:00 - 5:00 PM PT Closing Session
http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1212578p1.html