Welcome to Edolas [CLOSED]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
FaceFoiled

Re: Welcome to Edolas (Server information)

Post by FaceFoiled »

Server is up and running with the new bukkit! The Dynmap appears to still be rendering (highres), so give it a few more hours :) (the flat surface map is done).

In addition the spawn for new players has been corrected and should now once again be near the village, where the original spawn was. This can be changed at a later time if requested. In addition the /spawn, /(set)home and /return abilities (port to spawn, set and port to your own home, return to your "death" location) are technically available but currently turned off.

I personally think that spawn points should not really be used like that, but I could put cooldowns on them and such.. have a brainstorm session about that and let me know what you think. :)

Lockette is running again as well. Please refer to the front page of this thread for the plugin information (to be updated in the hour).
Mac

Post by Mac »

I noticed the server now has the mcmmo plug in.
It's really interesting, but the repair skill seems to
be disabled. But I might be wrong about that.

Thank you for giving us this interesting tool.
My Youtube channel.

Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Repair was disabled because it's too powerful - you would never have to replace your gear once you got it enchanted the way you wanted.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Mac

Post by Mac »

Katalliaan wrote:Repair was disabled because it's too powerful - you would never have to replace your gear once you got it enchanted the way you wanted.
Sounds reasonable,
I just wondered why.
My Youtube channel.

FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Katalliaan wrote:Repair was disabled because it's too powerful - you would never have to replace your gear once you got it enchanted the way you wanted.
Spot on. =)
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

As sometimes happens, I just had an idea. Oh, and I updated some stuff as well last night!

So...
1) mcMMO has been enabled! (repair ability from this has been disabled)
There is quite a lot to this plugin, as the message states when logging in you can do various commands, alternatively you can read up on them here: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/mcmmo/

2) updated the permissions plugin and chat manager that goes with it.
I figured out what the updated plugin's problem was. The previous version all used a ranking system, which allowed users to "promote" without assigning them to new ranks but just bumping them in ranks (same thing, just a bit easier). Once I removed that from the configuration, it worked. :) With this the titles and chatmanager (showing the titles/colors) works.

Quite often these titles are used to indicate specific groups. (Donors, admins, mod's, builders, vip's, KING) etc. Currently there are 4 titles: King (me), Lord, Lady, Civilian. By default you will be a Civilian, if this happens, send me a message and I can set you to Lord/Lady as you are technically not yet in the groups (added after edolas 1.0, when the permissions were not working so I did not add people in it, just whitelisted them).

So here is the idea:
I love building and having people buildings and creations to check out, but I also love a collective area to build/expand (town). This town itself has already been started, but I would like to get more people active here to add stuff. So what I was thinking, was to initiate a "Donating system".

So you had a lot of cobble, brick, coal etc. and don't really need it. Donate it to the town chests! These chests are "free for all" but intended for the buildings/expansions of the town. If you have an idea, go for it! =) Once you are a donator you can choose any title you want, and Ill add it in there for you. The only restriction that I put on this, is length. If a name become a certain length it just looks silly and reads rather unpleasant. :P

A few idea's that have already been thrown around are: Entrepreneur, Warrior, Archer, Gimp, Architect etc.

I can't really check how much you've donated, so I trust your own judgement on this. If you want a title and you feel you should have one: send me your request and I will get it sorted. =)
FrostMcloud

Post by FrostMcloud »

If mcmmo does prove to be a good and steady plugin for this server, a complimenting plugin i would suggest is Spoutcraft, this can be coupled with mcmmo with a experience bar that is at the top, configurable hot keys, and a lot of other really great options. Note this plugin would not do any thing really unless the players wanted it to. Meaning if the server became spoutcraft enabled, there would be no visible changes unless the player downloaded the spoutcraft launcher. I will link the page below, but once the server is spoutcraft enabled, alls the player will need is to download the launcher. This is only for players whom are a bit more familiar/commfortable/advanced with minecraft. It adds alot of stuff to compliment mcmmo but does not actually affect gameplay. It is more visual(and key binding) based then anything with added visual adjusters. Note that from my own experience with it, you must know a bit about some of its bit more advanced options to use it compitantly. It has in the launcher options an option of how much memory to allocate to the game/java. Now unless you allocate the correct amount(meaning not too much and definately not too little) spoutcraft may crash. The memory allocation, atleast for me and my computer, was a big issue, but once you get it set which is really not too hard, it is a great addition to mcmmo. For instance my comp has a total of 8 gigs of ram(maybe the improper name? Im just a dunce like that), my computer needs at the most 2 gigs to operate normaly(an extreme peeking) that leaves me with 6 gigs. I would suggest leaving 2 gigs for background and other foreground programs, such as antivirus/firewall and other such and even music playlists(cuz i know we all like our own music when playing minecraft). That leaves a total of 4 gigs of ram to allocate. So just set the allocation to 4 gigs. Note this may seem like alot, but remember, minecraft isnt the best user of memory with more than a few inconsistancy's(Im a horrible speller) in the code that lead to memory leaks, with the worser leaks actually causing LAG SPIKES OF DEATH!!!! So for myself 4 gigsis just right, but then again my computer is not the best, and I more than likely dont use it to its fullest potential, so this may just as well be different for others. (Please, If you have information to prove to be more useful to this/about this, please feel free to give it. and please dont take me for a troll if the memory leak information seems odd or iincorrect, I am not a programmer or modder(tho maybe someday) this is just second hand information.)

Here is the link for any who are interested in checking it out:

http://dev.bukkit.org/client-mods/spoutcraft/

A better possble explanation for spoutcraft, quoted from the above link:

"What is Spoutcraft?"

"Spoutcraft, formerly BukkitContrib SP, connects the server and client which makes most of the Spout features possible. Some things such as inventory monitoring and the server speed improvements only require the Spout server plugin. Any player can connect to a Spout enabled server; they will just miss out on the features it has to offer. Spoutcraft is optional, but using it unlocks the real features behind the Spout plugin."
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

FrostMcloud wrote:Wall of text: http://dev.bukkit.org/client-mods/spoutcraft/
Reading that gave me a headache Frost!! But thanks for the link :P. From the looks of things this really does only help to improve the client and server link by visualizing things "better" such as the mcmmo skills. I'll add it when I get home tonight so people have the option of downloading and using the spoutclient in connection with the server. :)

To confirm: This is optional, you do not need the spoutclient for anything.
FrostMcloud

Post by FrostMcloud »

lol sorry, get a lil carried away over things im excited about. also one other thing, rei's minimap currently does not work on spoutcraft launcher, but you rly really need minimap for if u die or go exploring ;-)
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

HIyaz!!

It's been a few days since I made an appearance. I am afraid that against better judgement I got SWOTOR after all, and sinked some hours into it. :P

For the next week I shall be online even less, as I am flying out for christmas. When I get back, I plan on doing the following:

- continuing the Cathedral.
adding lights, updating with glowstone
Finishing the cemetary and underground crypts.

- bank!
new build: bank, to host the town's storage chests and such. It's time they find a place inside somewhere. =)

If you do need me, just send me a PM here, so I get a mail popup and can check it out. :)
Happy holidays!
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Whoop! Face is back. :P

The server seems to have rebooted once or twice during my holiday, I have gone over the logs, and it seems that the CPU usage was to high at those times. I am guessing that this is due to a plugin used, but I don't know which one. I'll see about updating them in the following days and keep an eye on stability.
FrostMcloud

Post by FrostMcloud »

Frosty see server down, Frosty sad, Frosty Kill self now T__T

j/k lol
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

A great tragedy has occurred.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

There was some maintenance on the server machine's SDD, which previously caused the server to go down and before that caused the bad lag. This has now been resolved, but it looks like the world indeed changed. I sadly can't FTP connect to it at work to fix this. I will look into it tonight when I get home. Sorry for the inconvenience.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Sajuuk wrote:A great tragedy has occurred.
Mhm, I just tried to join and got in but spawned somewhere near a snow biome (not sure if it's even on our map or not). Dyn Map still displays the Duffia server so I can't use that to check ...

Take you time FF, we can live without MC for a few ... seconds. ;)
Mac

Post by Mac »

No problem.

Thanks for clearing this up.
Will seriously enjoy getting back to work at my house/castle.
My Youtube channel.

FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

I've submitted a ticket to my hosting service to see if they can sort it out before I get home. It's a race now and ITS ON!! :P
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Alrighty, the map has been recovered. I hope that nothing much has been lost. The plugins have been wiped as well, ive got a few sorted already but have yet to bring back MCMMO and Dynmap. All in good time though (tonight). :P
Dark_Tundra

Post by Dark_Tundra »

At the risk of sounding selfish, was the MCMMO player level data left intact? I ask because I had a lot of levels.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

I am afraid not. All the plugins were wiped completely during this incident.
Dark_Tundra

Post by Dark_Tundra »

Nether problems now, seems like it's been reset again, any chance of recovery?
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Is the entire world reset again, or just the nether?
Dark_Tundra

Post by Dark_Tundra »

Just the nether, so I'm a little on the stranded side.
Also shoegun56 and Razzle1990 were with me so they're 8000 blocks from civilization too.
Oh, and sorry for not being clear the first time.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Lets hope the nether can be restored.
My Youtube channel.

Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

it seems odd that the Nether would be stored outside of the backup of the world. I know it's another set of files, but why shouldn't it be part of it?

Regardless of my question, thanks Face for your swift repair of the realm.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]