Magic Wankery (Was: A Big Thanks)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BinoAl

Re: Magic Wankery (Was: A Big Thanks)

Post by BinoAl »

Azdoine wrote: It's just too bad they're banned in a lot of formats (and by my casual playgroup).
Lol, for good reason; They're overpowered as fuck :)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Alright, updates!

Decided that with all the cost reduction, I could handle some bigger cards, seems to work. Tried out the Aether Barrier, was too costly and didn't really pan out the way I wanted to. Haven't tried Martyr's Cause yet. As expected, Read the Runes is beautiful.

I removed a few cards, changed the mana a bit and added this:

3x Welkin Hawk (Squadron Hawk lite), adds draw
2x Celestial Gatekeeper, works well with the cost reduction
2x Thrummingbird, just extra creature, but when it gets to use its ability, it's glorious (rather rare though)
4x Read the Runes, might be a bit much, might reduce that to 3 or 2 copies. On the other hand, I do use it a lot to quickly kill a bird. When a situation arises where I can clear the board with it, it's glorious, but at that point, I would actually prefer the Supreme Verdict.

Might give that Martyr's Cause a try now :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gilberreke wrote:Alright, updates!

Decided that with all the cost reduction, I could handle some bigger cards, seems to work. Tried out the Aether Barrier, was too costly and didn't really pan out the way I wanted to. Haven't tried Martyr's Cause yet. As expected, Read the Runes is beautiful.

I removed a few cards, changed the mana a bit and added this:

3x Welkin Hawk (Squadron Hawk lite), adds draw
2x Celestial Gatekeeper, works well with the cost reduction
2x Thrummingbird, just extra creature, but when it gets to use its ability, it's glorious (rather rare though)
4x Read the Runes, might be a bit much, might reduce that to 3 or 2 copies. On the other hand, I do use it a lot to quickly kill a bird. When a situation arises where I can clear the board with it, it's glorious, but at that point, I would actually prefer the Supreme Verdict.

Might give that Martyr's Cause a try now :)
I'd up it to the full 4 Welkin Hawks; Birds that replace themselves are absolutely perfect for this deck
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

BinoAl wrote:I'd up it to the full 4 Welkin Hawks; Birds that replace themselves are absolutely perfect for this deck
The Welkins are a fair bit weaker than the Squadron Hawks. In practice, I noticed I didn't need the 4th Welkin. The deck needs a lot more playtesting, but that's where it's at.

I'm playing it against all the themed decks included with the Forge (cool tool btw, being able to play against CPU is super fun).

When I think it's fine-tuned, we should play against each other :)

I want to do another less used tribal deck too, but I don't know which one yet.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gilberreke wrote: The Welkins are a fair bit weaker than the Squadron Hawks. In practice, I noticed I didn't need the 4th Welkin. The deck needs a lot more playtesting, but that's where it's at.

I'm playing it against all the themed decks included with the Forge (cool tool btw, being able to play against CPU is super fun).

When I think it's fine-tuned, we should play against each other :)

I want to do another less used tribal deck too, but I don't know which one yet.
Heh, unfortunately, Forge doesn't have multiplayer yet. It's great for single-player vs cpu, but that's about it. Have you checked out all the theme decks in it? There's one (It's name is from Alice in Wonderland, I don't remember exactly what it is though) that is only lands, some that turn into creatures, some utility lands, it's really a neat idea
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

BinoAl wrote:Heh, unfortunately, Forge doesn't have multiplayer yet. It's great for single-player vs cpu, but that's about it. Have you checked out all the theme decks in it? There's one (It's name is from Alice in Wonderland, I don't remember exactly what it is though) that is only lands, some that turn into creatures, some utility lands, it's really a neat idea
Sure, but we could play Workstation :)

I'm thinking I want a centaur deck next? And yeah, you're right, there's tons of fun deck ideas in the theme decks :)
Gears

Post by Gears »

Well... I found the cards earlier.
Spoiler
Show
I'm gonna have a lot of fun reorganizing these...
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gilberreke wrote: Sure, but we could play Workstation :)

I'm thinking I want a centaur deck next? And yeah, you're right, there's tons of fun deck ideas in the theme decks :)
How does the "trial" version of workstation work, exactly? Is it limited cards or something?
And Centaurs are even more of a stretch for a theme, but I suppose a Centaur token deck may work; A lot of support for them in particular were added in Return to Ravnica
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

BinoAl wrote:And Centaurs are even more of a stretch for a theme, but I suppose a Centaur token deck may work; A lot of support for them in particular were added in Return to Ravnica
Yeah, there's not a lot to work with. I think it's probably going to be a run of the mill token deck.

The only interesting Centaur I found to base a deck around is Dowsing Shaman. I probably want to include trample and enchantment/aura mechanics, but that's all I have so far, if I don't want to go token style.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I was cleaning out some old boxes and found some old magic cards and issue #1 of the Duelist....