Early game in BTW with HC Hunger

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
IowaGuy

Re: Early game in BTW with HC Hunger

Post by IowaGuy »

My friends arnt HC enough for HC hunger. An update will happen at some point when it gets voted in. I was actually the only one who voted against hardcore bucket removal, so I guess give it time. I was wrong on that account as well. Love my aqueduct. We are still on 4.57 for now. We plan on giving HC hunger a trial run next week.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Gabecraft1234 wrote:How did you generate this map?
Looks like minutor.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Benanov wrote:
Looks like minutor.
I believe it was Cartography G but I didn't do it and my friend has gone home!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
tomiain

Post by tomiain »

This is probably not strictly relevant (apologies Six), but I do consider myself still in the fairly early game, what with having only one half-finished base. Prior to 4.6 I had the bare necessities covered along with a little industry and this is my viewpoint from my current situation.

I really like the fact that food requires more involvement in making it. I think that this gives sufficient justification for building kitchens/dining rooms (and the obvious enlarged range of automated farms) and with the loss of bedrooms more areas for 'living in' are welcome. I realise I can build all the drawing-rooms, conservatories, day-rooms, guest rooms etc that I want, but without some kind of justification (however flimsy) I find that it's all just fluff.

That said, I've found the system as is quite intrusive. An hour or so of titting about with machinery, involving occasional jumping over blocks but no sprinting, fighting etc has been broken up by 3 trips to my food chest, and exhausted nearly all of my food supply. The emergency dumping of my cattle-feed into the netherrack grinder is all part of the fun, but my food meter seems to plummet down, resulting in steve eating as much in his ten minute day as I do in my 16hour one. I appreciate that there is a fat mechanic to address this, but an assortment of meaty dishes (although none of the carrot or potato requiring advanced ones-I've yet to find a village) has given me a fat rating of not-quite one. I'm aware that in carrying over an existing world I've started with 0 fat and that this isn't necessarily representative of normal play, however I find that the seeming requirement for a separate micromanagement of Steve's puddings, on top of his normal food rations, presents something of an obstacle to settling in with a stack of redstone/axles what have you and getting some machinery done.

In summation- I'm looking forward to throwing myself into the food system and hunting down a village or two (admittedly with the added luxury of iron armour, and already having wheat); I only hope that once I have done, and when the urge takes me I can return to the fully-lit and walled-in 'building-block' aspect of the game, without finding that I'm forced to repeatedly put it aside until after the tricky matter of Steve's menu for the day is resolved.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a word of advice for people in the early game:

This was true before, but even more so with HC Hunger. In the early game if you sprint around and jump everywhere, you will seriously hurt your chances of survival. This causes you to burn more energy, and thus, food.

I suspect this may be the cause of many people having a very hard time with HC hunger right now. You have to manage your activities, not just your food.
Shinxy

Post by Shinxy »

FlowerChild wrote: This was true before, but even more so with HC Hunger. In the early game if you sprint around and jump everywhere, you will seriously hurt your chances of survival. This causes you to burn more energy, and thus, food.
This, a thousand times. Without going into numbers you pretty much burn off all your food very quickly if you go sprinting or, Divines forgive, sprint-jumping around. You'll drop dead pretty fast. Even moreso now that saturation isn't around to dampen the effects. Best to do short bursts of speed to avoid a skeleton arrow at night, if that, and go around, not over, hills and mountains.

Oh, and don't forget: boats, and when you get the saddle/carrot, piggies. IIRC, riding them around is just like standing still, as in, you burn very little hunger. Not just for fatties anymore.
:V
Six

Post by Six »

Shinxy wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: This was true before, but even more so with HC Hunger. In the early game if you sprint around and jump everywhere, you will seriously hurt your chances of survival. This causes you to burn more energy, and thus, food.
This, a thousand times. Without going into numbers you pretty much burn off all your food very quickly if you go sprinting or, Divines forgive, sprint-jumping around. You'll drop dead pretty fast. Even moreso now that saturation isn't around to dampen the effects. Best to do short bursts of speed to avoid a skeleton arrow at night, if that, and go around, not over, hills and mountains.

Oh, and don't forget: boats, and when you get the saddle/carrot, piggies. IIRC, riding them around is just like standing still, as in, you burn very little hunger. Not just for fatties anymore.
Added to this, even just small packed earth paths around a starting base helps speed things up without sprinting. I think this is such a fundamental change to the game, that it's going to take a while for people to learn 'how to play' again.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, and I will also point out that it further emphasizes the need for building stairs and ramps within your base to reduce the amount of jumping around you're required to do.

I'm presently testing what play is like with "developed" HC Hunger, in that I'm basically playing at the Cauldron level of tech (which is top tech for food), and I'm not at all finding eating to be an excessive burden, even with rather meager farms. I'm mostly eating steak dinners at present, having just planted my first mushroom farm, and I'm busily expanding my cow, carrot, and potato farms to accommodate the increased demand.

I'm finding that I can get plenty of in game "work" done on my base without hunger becoming an issue, so right now, the late(r) game balance is looking pretty good.

I'll be testing the true early game later on, once I have my current base setup for HC Hunger.
wizardglick

Post by wizardglick »

Looks like CartographG or something similar.
ion

Post by ion »

stated a new map today big taiga biome, pigs around pumpkins. my first thing was to get food asap and chop some wood. after it try to find a village. all was easy going i didn't really understood how to build up fat until i got a windmill up so i was mostly going around low on fat.
i did got some days with pumpkin seeds and some porkchops, got some chickens when trying to find a village and started to feed them for eggs and also make some bacon and eggs. from now onward i got into a big trip to find a village to get production going. it was an always sprinting jumping and killing animals that were on my path and i got that going for 4-5 RL hours because my first village didn't had any crops (this time i didn't kill them), got lost trying to find my way back, another trip and i got another village with all the crops. started farming at my base in the middle of the taiga and now i'm set.

now with HCH you can really go sprinting and jumping when traveling you just need to understand that you'll be eating food a lot. still very doable even for a starter spawn.
i don't know how it works with SFS armour on, maybe that needs a bit of tweaking. from my experience the food bar goes down faster that before but again i didn't had any fat at all so i don't know how it works with it. that means more food to eat.
moving to the injuries system that it seems is a bit too high when you get disabling injuries. it doesn't seems very right to get removed sprinting ability at hurt witch is really under 5 hearts of damage. for starters without armour on some skeletons or ninja creepers this means death as regeneration also is really slow for yo to recover. of course at more tiers you can make potions and rest, but for a lowlife starter it's a bit too much to enjoy. remember in 1.5 zombies and skellis "call for help" so would be more instant death things.
also the food draining is a bit too much when building and just waiting even for few minutes. all this was done in hard difficulty so it may be diff related.
for me it was a great experience today, more testing is required to understand all the features about HCH. but maybe for a newbie to BTW it may be too hard to further enjoy the mod.
Bynari

Post by Bynari »

-snip-
Skrump

Post by Skrump »

Heh.

Speaking of the new HC hunger, it reminds me of the book "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks. Although the title sounds loosely based in regards with hunger, the content of the book talks a lot about sustainability with obtaining food and such. Like, farming and rations and purifying water to make it drinkable *hint hint* hardcore thirst? Anyways, although kind of offtopic, I would just like to bring that up.

Now, on to my actual experience with HC hunger...

I actually spawned in a taiga biome, which was sort of a pain, but it had an abundance of cows. I killed a few, but I continued on moving. I reached the end of the taiga biome in a time span of 1-1 1/2 Minecraft days. And, to my *bad* luck, I found a desert. I kept travelling on it like a dummy, hoping for a village. And, which, I did :) Sadly, the happiness did not last because of the mobs and zombies knocking on the village doors. And so, I deleted that world, and just kept building on my main BTW world :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Skrump wrote: Speaking of the new HC hunger, it reminds me of the book "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks. Although the title sounds loosely based in regards with hunger, the content of the book talks a lot about sustainability with obtaining food and such. Like, farming and rations and purifying water to make it drinkable *hint hint* hardcore thirst? Anyways, although kind of offtopic, I would just like to bring that up.
You might want to further consider the availability (as in infinite) of water in MC before further contemplating anything to do with thirst man.

It's not that it's a bad idea, as much as it's a totally useless one without heavy modifications to how the game works in other areas (such as world gen).

Food serves perfectly well as an overall abstraction of other bodily functions such as thirst or fatigue. There's really no need for further detail just for the sake of "realism".
Skrump

Post by Skrump »

FlowerChild wrote:
Skrump wrote: Speaking of the new HC hunger, it reminds me of the book "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks. Although the title sounds loosely based in regards with hunger, the content of the book talks a lot about sustainability with obtaining food and such. Like, farming and rations and purifying water to make it drinkable *hint hint* hardcore thirst? Anyways, although kind of offtopic, I would just like to bring that up.
You might want to further consider the availability (as in infinite) of water in MC before further contemplating anything to do with thirst man.

It's not that it's a bad idea, as much as it's a totally useless one without heavy modifications to how the game works in other areas (such as world gen).

Food serves perfectly well as an overall abstraction of other bodily functions such as thirst or fatigue. There's really no need for further detail just for the sake of "realism".
Ah, well I see. Just a thought :)
Mud

Post by Mud »

I play on large biomes. I started a new world today after reading the threads about nomadic play here, and after about 10 MC days I found my first desert village. I have to say, the impact HCH has on the game is amazing, and I haven't had so much fun starting a new world since my first time logging into MC.