Best intro to automation?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Best intro to automation?

Post by FlowerChild »

someonetobe wrote: It's not a roadblock. That was too strong a word. More like a speed bump, for first timers.
Yeah, that I can agree with, and honestly, I still don't feel that HCB is fully and completely integrated into the mod/tech tree. It's getting close, but I suspect I'll be making further refinements down the road for it.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

someonetobe wrote:It's not a roadblock. That was too strong a word. More like a speed bump, for first timers.
The trick, as with anything in the mod, is to embrace the change rather than bump against it. It can take some readjustment, but once it becomes an accepted part of the game it can actually be a lot of fun. For instance, I built Chaechew's smoothstone generator completely without buckets; I found an above ground lava flow, directed it into a cave, and then brought in water from higher up the hill and split it when it entered the room:
Spoiler
Show
And it was a blast to build. Especially with hardcore info. Nothing like blindly digging through solid rock and just hoping that you pop out of a wall that's convenient. Block counting is for real men.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
someonetobe

Post by someonetobe »

Thorium-232 wrote:
someonetobe wrote:It's not a roadblock. That was too strong a word. More like a speed bump, for first timers.
The trick, as with anything in the mod, is to embrace the change rather than bump against it. It can take some readjustment, but once it becomes an accepted part of the game it can actually be a lot of fun. For instance, I built Chaechew's smoothstone generator completely without buckets; I found an above ground lava flow, directed it into a cave, and then brought in water from higher up the hill and split it when it entered the room:
Spoiler
Show
And it was a blast to build. Especially with hardcore info. Nothing like blindly digging through solid rock and just hoping that you pop out of a wall that's convenient. Block counting is for real men.
Please don't get me wrong. I was a water freak in vanilla -- building EATS that went uphill and so on. And I purposefully choose to play this mod, with hardcore buckets. I sought out this feature knowingly, even if it is a big adjustment to my MC problem solving habits. Because I was bored. And I have a GREAT time playing BTW.

This was a discussion I read before I was a member, and the only thread I itched to respond to when I first joined. Because it was the only time I had something to say that I hadn't seen already said. That was just that the introduction of waterflow collection systems is a steeper learning curve for vMC players just joining the mod -- as an explanaiton to the floor of hoppers thing. It's really so self evident saying it that way that I feel bad for mentioning it.

The dreaded FoH would occure anyway, because it's easy, and people usually take the easiest option (even if it's no fun for them). But I thought the HC change might have been an influence on that also, because it increases effort, planning, and creativity to use a sorting system, this in turn increases the gap in difficulty, which should in turn make people more likely to choose the easy FoH.

Which again, I feel a bit foolish for bringing up, because it's a bit unintentionally insulting of me to imply anyone didn't already know that.

--

And that does sound like great fun. I've been thinking of cobble and smooth generators, but haven't dove in yet. There are just so many possible things to do right now!
I seek fond moments, not fond memories.
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

Thanks for the replies everybody, got bombarded with college work after making this so I haven't gotten started building anything yet, but I've certainly got lots of ideas now.
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.