Spoilers for 4.3 explosives

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Six

Re: Spoilers for 4.3 explosives

Post by Six »

So I have been running a few tests, and I'm not sure if it quite intended this way, but Blasting Oil is freaking amazing as a cannon explosive. The high costs in terms of dynamite has always put me off the idea of cannons in the past, but this could be interesting.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Six wrote:So I have been running a few tests, and I'm not sure if it quite intended this way, but Blasting Oil is freaking amazing as a cannon explosive. The high costs in terms of dynamite has always put me off the idea of cannons in the past, but this could be interesting.
As long as the path to your cannon is completely safe that is ;) I like how this brings in the mechanic of careful handling of explosive components when building packaged explosives like dynamite and TNT. Now I need to test what happens if blasting oil is in a chest and the chest is damaged... Oh! Anarchy traps on my chests =) <Please work the way I hope>
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Blasting Oil when dropped has a varying power to it based on how much is dropped as a stack. Power seems to increase in stack increments of 8. One oil is as potent as a stick of dynamite, leaving stone unscathed. 16 oil will punch through stone and 24 will put a small dent in endstone. Heaping multiple stacks and setting them off with fire or shock does not appear to increase power beyond that of a stack of 64 oil.

Blasting Oil is stable in stoked stewing pots and crucibles. Don't store explosives in very hot receptacles.

Blasting oil is going to be very, very useful for opening large chambers in the nether. It can be used almost like detcord on dirt, gravel or 'rack by laying out a line of it and then setting off one end. They can be spaced out enough that quite a lot of netherrack survives as well as being far more cost effiective than mining charges or powder kegs for opening up large rooms for a nether base.
Last edited by DaveYanakov on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote: Blasting Oil is stable in stoked stewing pots and crucibles.
You certain about that? I specifically added it to the unstable elements code. It's a bug if so.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Dumped a couple stacks into a stoked pot to see how big a boom it would make compared to hellfire dust. No movement on the cooking indicator of the GUI. Swapped the pot for a crucible, same thing.

Hellfire dust is still detonating properly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

K...strange. I'll look into that when I start in on the port to 1.4 tomorrow.

I wrote the code for it, but uncharacteristically didn't test it for myself. I guess I was already shell-shocked from all the other deaths I had experienced :)

It's definitely not a critical bug though, so I don't think there's any need to rush a patch.

EDIT: Doh. I think I know what I did. I added it to the list of explosive elements, so it will contribute to the size of an explosion, but I don't think I put it into the recipes that will kick one off.

I suspect if you drop a stack of Blasting Oil in with a single Hellfire Dust, you'll see what I mean ;)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Yep, that sure worked...
Spoiler
Show
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

DaveYanakov wrote:Yep, that sure worked...
Spoiler
Show
Damn you I was reading this thread with the idea of posting this clip. You beat me to it dear sir. As of yet I haven't tested anything but if blasting oil is as unstable as you make out has anyone tested if dynamite is equally so or at least a little more stable but should still be handled with care?
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Spoiler
Show
+1 for the video dave, that was pretty damn funny!

On note i cant wait to play around with the new blasting oil, but to clarify it can be used like a fuse?
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

Better not carry it along my railway, I have a habit of randomly taking damage while riding it!
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Pucc wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Damn you I was reading this thread with the idea of posting this clip. You beat me to it dear sir. As of yet I haven't tested anything but if blasting oil is as unstable as you make out has anyone tested if dynamite is equally so or at least a little more stable but should still be handled with care?
Did you watch the clip? Dynamite is nitroglycerin stabilized with clay.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

And now I believe I will suddenly realize how often I take minor damage... better than wolves now with hardcore creepers, you are the creeper!
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I can confirm that getting damaged while having even one piece in your inventory is enough to kill you, even if you have a full Plate Armor suit (I haven't tried enchantments like Explosion Resistance, though).
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Imagine using a hopper to drop a stack of this into someone's inventory right before a trap is set off in anarchy... oooh, the evil possibilities. MWAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAAA!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I'm guessing you can safely transport large quantities of this material in a minecart chest regardless of acceleration ? That should allow for precautionary solutions to transport within your base regardless of abrupt stopping and starting of the minecart
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:I'm guessing you can safely transport large quantities of this material in a minecart chest regardless of acceleration ? That should allow for precautionary solutions to transport within your base regardless of abrupt stopping and starting of the minecart
This just gave me a fantastic idea of a bombcart ^.^
Now I'm off to try it :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Rianaru wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:I'm guessing you can safely transport large quantities of this material in a minecart chest regardless of acceleration ? That should allow for precautionary solutions to transport within your base regardless of abrupt stopping and starting of the minecart
This just gave me a fantastic idea of a bombcart ^.^
Now I'm off to try it :)

Trying to think how that would work ?.. You would have to have a BD at the end of the line(to liberate items in the chest) and some fire or ignition source ?

Also i can't imagine this stuff having volatile behavior in a minecart under normal movement conditions as we have no way to regulate minecarts acceleration other then ... Well i guess minecarts can be be slowed down gently based on how you arrange your track components and inclines...
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Well I was thinking that if you rammed the minecart at high speed into a wall the chest with blasting oil in it might explode upon collision. Still haven't tested it yet.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

dawnraider wrote:Imagine using a hopper to drop a stack of this into someone's inventory right before a trap is set off in anarchy... oooh, the evil possibilities. MWAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAAA!
Drop one at a time with a dispenser. One is enough to kill but is less likely to damage the stone of your trap.

Do not carry blasting oil while hungry. Damage sources that set it off include starvation.
Last edited by DaveYanakov on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Rianaru wrote:Well I was thinking that if you rammed the minecart at high speed into a wall the chest with blasting oil in it might explode upon collision. Still haven't tested it yet.
That would certainly make logical sense, but high amounts of acceleration causing a reaction would also make sense. Test and see. If so you could make a smart bomb under a corridor. As an invader advances and sets off detectors brakes initiate at particular parts in MC tracks hidden under the corridor and the abrupt stop, correlated to the last detector the invader triggers, would cause detonation.
devak

Post by devak »

I just tested it, but rapidly accelerating or decelerating minecarts does not cause an explosion, nor dropping the cart from great height.

SO basically, it's the ideal method to transport the stuff, and quite frankly i think it's intentional (promoting the use of minecarts in automation).

Anyway, i just discovered that a hopper dispensing blast oil is a GREAT way to dig a 1x1 hole down in the earth....
EDIT: a stack of blasting oil brings you 8 blocks deep, so it's not a very great way, just an expensive way
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Possibly the most important part, if you die while carrying blasting oil, your entire inventory goes with you. There is no spew, only chunks of xp.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Very interesting.. This makes me want to build a desperate separate section for hazardous material handling, along with a transportation system, all encased in obsidian. Cool.

EDIT: Damn auto-correct ;p
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

jakerman999 wrote:
Pucc wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Did you watch the clip? Dynamite is nitroglycerin stabilized with clay.

Hehe I did, did you? and yes naturally nitroglycerin is more stable in clay or similar substances but when saw dust is used as a substitute it is a little bit more unstable. A quote from wiki:

"Dynamites using organic materials such as sawdust are less stable and such use has been generally discontinued."

Hence my question but it appears that this is not the case anyway.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Pucc wrote: "Dynamites using organic materials such as sawdust are less stable and such use has been generally discontinued."

Hence my question but it appears that this is not the case anyway.
Saw dust works much better in terms of the tech-tree.

Also, I suspect the reason for the instability is the tendency for the nitroglycerin to sweat out of the saw dust over time. For short-term use and storage, I therefore doubt it would be an issue.