A system that hurts you when on

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
TheAnarchitect

Re: A system that hurts you when on

Post by TheAnarchitect »

In addition to machines that hurt you when on, perhaps consider machines or resources that have to be in inhospitable environments to do their stuff. Like something that has to be submerged in magma to function.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

TheAnarchitect wrote:In addition to machines that hurt you when on, perhaps consider machines or resources that have to be in inhospitable environments to do their stuff. Like something that has to be submerged in magma to function.
to use magma as primitive energy ?

i liked it
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm not suggesting bees AT ALL, but bee hives are an example of a natural system that can hurt you based on proximity. Doesn't feel too high tech, it's just an organism that is dangerous.

There are multiple ways to justfy such a system without making it feel like a nuclear reactor. :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Six

Post by Six »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:There are multiple ways to justfy such a system without making it feel like a nuclear reactor. :]
Justification is easy enough, but I think the FEEL is the hard part.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Six wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:There are multiple ways to justfy such a system without making it feel like a nuclear reactor. :]
Justification is easy enough, but I think the FEEL is the hard part.
Yeah, I'm talking about the feel of it, not the lore behind it. ;]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Haha with the way the mod is going I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tiny mob introduced like Nether Midges that did just that :p
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Urian

Post by Urian »

AngelWithDirtyHands wrote:Haha with the way the mod is going I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tiny mob introduced like Nether Midges that did just that :p
I think you'll find that their name is Nether Crabs.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

I like the idea of automating something because it hurts when you're close, however i also think i would find it much more interesting if -to run with the bee hive idea, and again not suggesting, just an example- from time to time the player had to get inside DURING operation.

Another way to run with this is two abominations that clash when they meet. like how nether growth attacks pigmen. If there were two... forces(entities, animals, plants, whatever)... that opposed each other and create an all around hostile environment. putting these two in the same contained area would create both the hazard and the product; however sustaining the operation would be difficult because they would constantly be trying to kill each other.

adding to the above, putting the two together may not create the product or the conflict, but the introduction of some catalyst may.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

There are lots of dangerous automated processes in the real world that have to be done remotely for safety reasons. The costs don't have to necessarily be purely physical damage, there are other hazards in the real world as well that could adapt to BTW. The hazard has to be matched with a reasonable reward or a resource needed in large enough quantities to continue up the tech tree (like soulforged steel or hemp). I've put some ideas regarding hazards and alternate dangers beyond just simple damage.

- Corrosion: Working in a corrosive (eg: acids) environment is potentially fatal, but it could also rapidly degrade armor and tools. Stand back or loose your gear and your life!

- Suffocation: Dusty environments (such as wheat silos) create a risk of suffocation. Some chemical reactions drain oxygen from the environment. Effectively you risk drowning if you're in an enclosed space with the process. Clouds of dust also can explode if there is an ignition source.

- Biohazard: The nether growth is a good example of this, but a process that inflicts a disease or very dangerous and long lasting status effect (poison, etc) would probably encourage automation.

- Radiation: Radioactivity could be adapted to be some sort of magical contamination, that's up to FC. I'll just call it radioactivity for the sake of discussion. Radioactivity has this interesting property where it can energize other materials making them radiation producers. Especially metals though. Assuming enchantments can be added, long proximity to a "contamination" producing system or material could enchant your armor with a negative effect that would kill you over time even if you leave the area of hazard. Even better, the armor could be necessary to even survive any maintenance work in the area, creating a cost and danger to adjusting your system.

One other thing to consider, these could also be hazards present in a region rather than simply a result of an industrial process. Any of these dangers could be a hazard to exploration and also a hazard when attempting to exploit those new resources. Regardless, there are lot of good dangers that could encourage moving to automatic systems.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents, hope I didn't overstep. I like the idea of dangerous processes.