Thaumcraft 2: Tier 3 enchanter...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Poppycocks

Re: Thaumcraft 2: Tier 3 enchanter...

Post by Poppycocks »

You're trying to imply that that magic mod has too many magic blocks.

And I agree. I believe that the different block shouldn't have such strongly specialized functions. That's why it reminds of IC^2 so much, there's almost no logical/logistical challenge, it's just a grind divided into a myriad of progression layers.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

LOL. You're right, I guess I am implying the magic mod has to many magic blocks. Like you said, it's more of a grind through the tech-tree rather than any kind of puzzle solving.

The most interesting game mechanics are the research, the enchanter, and managing the aura. However, the tools provided to do these things don't allow for interesting problem solving. Instead the focus seems to be on exploring and crafting.

Still, I'd rate TC2 as the 2nd best mod ever developed for Minecraft (2nd to BTW ofcourse) and that's saying alot.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I really wish I could play them together. Btw mechanics plus the powers provided by thaumcraft if they were put at the end of the tech tree and required large amount of btw resources would be fun for me. Most of the mechanics aren't OP enough to invalidate anything about btw and I would love to be able to jump around with the seven league boots, choose targeted enchantments and have my void bracelet to return home after a long exploration trip...
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

OK, but in our imaginary parallel universe, think of how the two tech trees would interact mystically: Grinding netherrack and bottling souls would absolutely have to kill the aura in the area. Smelting soul-steel would kill aura. Hell, any block with a soul urn in the recipe probably kills aura. Might produce taint.

How cool would that be?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

TheAnarchitect wrote:OK, but in our imaginary parallel universe, think of how the two tech trees would interact mystically: Grinding netherrack and bottling souls would absolutely have to kill the aura in the area. Smelting soul-steel would kill aura. Hell, any block with a soul urn in the recipe probably kills aura. Might produce taint.

How cool would that be?
I don't think it would kill the aura but yes it would probably produce taint... Personally I think it sounds great. I'm not sure if you do or don't like the idea though...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

The idea of every "evil" tech you use in BTW producing taint in the world seems awesome to me.. It would create proper consequences for Steve's evil choices...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I don't know if I do or don't like the idea either. I simply think that a proper combination of the two mechanics needs some interaction, not merely "BTW alongside Thaumcraft."
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I agree that that would be cool. However I would settle for just having them both...
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

And it's all for naught anyways as FC has already posted in another thread that, although he was impressed with what was done with TC2, the graphic style was far to jarringly different from vanilla minecraft for BTW, though he did think it worked well for TC2 since it was all magic and shit. Or something like that.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah yeah... I know all about that. But I can dream can't I? Maybe they'll both move to compatibility with the official modding API... Or maybe BTW will go back to forge now that Eloraam is no longer a primary contributor... Unlikely sure but stranger things have happened...
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

jorgebonafe wrote:The idea of every "evil" tech you use in BTW producing taint in the world seems awesome to me.. It would create proper consequences for Steve's evil choices...
You forget. The fact that Steve is making evil choices means he obviously embraces the prospect of living in a hostile purple environment. :)
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

Mr_Hosed wrote:LOL. You're right, I guess I am implying the magic mod has to many magic blocks. Like you said, it's more of a grind through the tech-tree rather than any kind of puzzle solving.

The most interesting game mechanics are the research, the enchanter, and managing the aura. However, the tools provided to do these things don't allow for interesting problem solving. Instead the focus seems to be on exploring and crafting.

Still, I'd rate TC2 as the 2nd best mod ever developed for Minecraft (2nd to BTW ofcourse) and that's saying alot.

It must be taken in account that not every mod out there is designed around being automation friendly. Some are exist counter to any easy forms of automation for reasons of balance or the feel of the Mod. TC2 being more crafting-exploration centric than Techno-automation centric isn't a flaw or a problem to be fixed, it's an intended feature.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Spoiler
Show
O_o

o_O

Da fuq is this?

When I killed it, it dropped an artifact.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Sothe Cuslinde

Post by Sothe Cuslinde »

It's called a smart zombie. It the zombie that thaumcraft adds in so you can get special items from it. Plus this way he didn't have to edit the zombie base class.
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

Primarily, they are your only source of zombie brains for brain jars
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Actually, I also found one in a chest underground.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I just want to update people that if you choose your area well, the tree spirit challenge is more than playable as a greatwood tree. They may not be able to be bonemealed, but when one sapling does sprout, it provides enough wood to tide you over for a while. I use the presence of a silverwood tree as a good indicator that the aura is high enough to grow my baby trees.

And I'm using a vis crystal for my heartwood. It looks really cool.
Sothe Cuslinde

Post by Sothe Cuslinde »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I just want to update people that if you choose your area well, the tree spirit challenge is more than playable as a greatwood tree. They may not be able to be bonemealed, but when one sapling does sprout, it provides enough wood to tide you over for a while. I use the presence of a silverwood tree as a good indicator that the aura is high enough to grow my baby trees.

Ok this is making me curious. What's the spiritwood tree challenge?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Sothe Cuslinde wrote:
TheAnarchitect wrote:I just want to update people that if you choose your area well, the tree spirit challenge is more than playable as a greatwood tree. They may not be able to be bonemealed, but when one sapling does sprout, it provides enough wood to tide you over for a while. I use the presence of a silverwood tree as a good indicator that the aura is high enough to grow my baby trees.

Ok this is making me curious. What's the spiritwood tree challenge?
Linkity link
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Hmm, you know, creating a spiritwood mod for Thaumcraft wouldn't be a lot of trouble at all.

Something like this: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/754812-

I don't think I have the time to invest in it, but it sounds like fun :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
DumbassTurtle

Post by DumbassTurtle »

embirrim wrote:Come on guys, give him a break. It seems like you're attacking him. Each person has their own way of playing the game, what they consider cheating is up to them. If using TMI to spawn a few items makes your game experience much better overall it's fine. It's your own world. One thing is a multiplayer server, where the same rules should apply to everybody since what one person does can influence another person's game.

Seriously, each person plays the game how they want. Ultimately, it's about having fun.
/spams the +1 button!!!!/

And now I'm going to have to make another jar.... zombie brains mmmm.
Eh something, something...
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Didn't know where to post this, so I'll post it here. I started up a new world with a lot of Forge mods (excluding Eloraam, of course), and it spawned me within 10 seconds of: A lava spring, a lava pond, three lava pools, a pocket of oil, and two silverwood trees. Life is good. :)
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

HavokSCOUT wrote:Didn't know where to post this, so I'll post it here. I started up a new world with a lot of Forge mods (excluding Eloraam, of course), and it spawned me within 10 seconds of: A lava spring, a lava pond, three lava pools, a pocket of oil, and two silverwood trees. Life is good. :)
Yeah, I made a Thaumcraft world and I spawned about halfway up a mountain with several water streams going by me from the pool of water at the top of the mountain. It would have made the perfect HCB world, but alas, the same seed made a different world when I tried it on my BTW. :(
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I've been playing some Thaumcraft with Equivalent Exchange and MystCraft on a survival island. I don't have any animals, so I'm going to have to travel with MystCraft to find a "chicken dimension" (if one exists) to transmute chickens into other animals.

I noticed that researching Obsidian is really efficient, but it's hard to come by, unless you have a mod that makes you get them easily.

I plan on making the survival island looking like Atlantis, with rooms for all the Thaumcraft stuff and roofs made out of EE collectors. One room will have sustainable vis creation (don't know how yet) and there'll be a library wing with Quaesitum and Enchanter set up.

Other mods I installed: Iron Chests (really nifty little mod, really handy) and EnderStorage (this is a must for dimension travellers, though I might uninstall it and use the Thaumcraft Void Chests, which should be similar.

Also, I have a texture pack that makes vanilla look like Thaumcraft, with the cool GUIs and high definition particles and all. Anyone interested? I don't have all permissions, so send me a PM if you want it, I'm allowed to send it around privately.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Well, the Thaumcraft Tree Challenge is going swimmingly:
Spoiler
Show
Who says you can't go curvilinear in minecraft?