Any tips on finding a mushroom biome?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Any tips on finding a mushroom biome?

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:From the direction this conversation is going I guess you were thinking of including mycelium in whatever update you are doing in this next month :P
Nah, I was briefly considering making it an ingredient for Blood Wood at one point, but ditched that idea and I've just been kinda pondering what cool things might be done with it if I could count on it being findable since.

It's related more to my own playing of Minecraft rather than the features I'm working on. I think I've been using what I might do with Mycellium in the mod as justification for why I'm spending so much time looking for it, kinda like what Furky was doing with justifying why he has Mooshrooms :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I think it kinda looks nice :P Good to making an evil carpet on your base, but I don't think I'd waste so much time looking for it just for that...

If there was some way to find it like with the ender eye....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Yeah... unfortunately mycelium seems to be more of a 'luck of the draw' kind of deal. In most worlds it takes a lot of travel to see it, the world I play on has it next to spawn, because I fell in love with the seed long, long ago ('i dont care' is the seed). Tried it out in 1.2.3 and it spawns you in between a mushroom biome and a jungle biome north of a taiga and south of a desert.

Unfortunately that won't help you find any on your old world, but try it out if you're curious I guess.

As far as finding one, I found my first one by just sailing for a looooong time to the Northeast. There really is no easy way to find it though... all luck.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:I think it kinda looks nice :P Good to making an evil carpet on your base, but I don't think I'd waste so much time looking for it just for that...

If there was some way to find it like with the ender eye....
Yeah, I've been mulling over similar ideas. Some kind of fungal detector, which itself could be built into the tech tree.

Anyways, these were just very casual thoughts on my part, probably not worth the effort.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote: Unfortunately that won't help you find any on your old world, but try it out if you're curious I guess.
Nah, I'm just obsessive about keeping an instance of everything in Minecraft in my main base (mainly for testing relative to BTW features), and like I said in the OP, I've been letting that slide a bit while I was mainly playing my BTB world . I'm not really curious about the biome itself.

I tend to do pretty much all my play in my main world, including the testing of new features (I let that slide with the Lens a bit and tested in Creative, and now I regret having done so). It's kinda cool wandering around my world and thinking "oh yeah, that's where I first tried that out"..."oh yeah, that's where I tested out that feature when I developed it"..."oh yeah, that's where I filmed that vid".

Like, I still get a chuckle out of it every time I walk past Dingle Berry's grave :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I just want to watch a mycellium tumor slowly take over a large swath of my world...

It does still spread, right?
Better is the enemy of Good
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Only to dirt blocks. You won't see it taking over your grass, I'm afraid.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:Only to dirt blocks. You won't see it taking over your grass, I'm afraid.
Yeah, that's one of my disappointments with it and why I feel they chickened-out on its design.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Keep in mind that the actual biome prohibits spawning of anything other than Mooshrooms.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

My suggestion would be to generate a bunch of worlds and use amidst on them to get a good idea of how those biomes spawn around. They are VERY fucking rare.

Don't let that stop you from integrating them in the tech tree though. Just not as a bottleneck to advance, maybe a sidebranch or something. I wouldn't mind having an extra incentive to start a grand expedition, complete with the need for compasses, careful planning, maps etc.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: Don't let that stop you from integrating them in the tech tree though. Just not as a bottleneck to advance, maybe a sidebranch or something. I wouldn't mind having an extra incentive to start a grand expedition, complete with the need for compasses, careful planning, maps etc.
I totally agree here. It's rare that we have a reason to go on such a big adventure, since every other biome is so common, and the end is nigh useless
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

I never found on.... but wasn't silk touch necassry to get mycellium ?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Donzaffi wrote:I never found on.... but wasn't silk touch necassry to get mycellium ?
Can't BDs pick it up?

(Never actually saw one of these biomes in any world I've played).
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Mason11987 wrote:
Donzaffi wrote:I never found on.... but wasn't silk touch necassry to get mycellium ?
Can't BDs pick it up?

(Never actually saw one of these biomes in any world I've played).
Don't know for sure, but probably not. If a player can't harvest a block normally (without silk touch) then the BD usually won't pick it up.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

morvelaira wrote: Don't know for sure, but probably not. If a player can't harvest a block normally (without silk touch) then the BD usually won't pick it up.
Really? I could've swore fc changed that...
EDIT: Yep, tested, BD picks up grass, mycelium, stone, etc without changing it
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Yeah, block dispensers can pick up both grass and mycellium; similar to how it can pick up stone and bookshelves.

Second thing I ever build after a stone generator these days is a grass generator. Gotta do something with all that dirt, no?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm almost certain that the BD now emulates silk touch.

EDIT:
Spoiler
Show
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, it does. I've been sailing the seven seas with a Block Dispenser in my pack, because I've never gotten a silk-touch enchantment in my main world ;)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Lol !
I was just about to post something along the line of " WTF ? Useless ? The Mooshroom are so awesome and usefull.

But then I saw :
FlowerChild wrote:I get the impression you're trying *very* hard here just to justify the amount of time you spent gathering them man :)
And ... yeah. That's exactly it :p
Though I don't mind the free, infinite, that-never-require-any-work food, placed in strategic spots.
Dextralus

Post by Dextralus »

My experience with finding Mushroom Island biomes has always been that they are very, very far away. In one SMP server I squirreled away a base on one that was located around 4000, -600. When that server re-genned for 1.2 I sailed off looking for another one, and after about two hours of walking and sailing I found one that is about 6700 blocks from 0,0 (as the crow flies). So, you may be waiting for quite a while.

One thing that has always amused me lightly about living here (or perhaps more precisely, finding this places) is, as has already been brought up, the desire to possess mooshrooms. In neither case have I done any effort myself to supply the other players with any of them, but the demand and desire to transport them enormous, tedious distances explodes almost instantly on announcing that I found one. People have actually followed my footsteps and then march back thousands of blocks whilst leading the shroomcows, which astounds me, since I barely have the patience to deal with pigs over a few dozens of blocks. I was even able to charge for that 'privilege' in the first instance, extorting a nethernet connection out of them. Luckily for others, I suppose, one only needs to bring one of them back to start a herd, provided you have other cows.

As for why I'd bother, I find the islands have certain appealing features. Firstly being isolated is nice (though there are other islands that would fulfill this just as easily), not having mob spawns is perhaps even more appealing (but also easily achieved otherwise). The unlimited free food forever is appealing but that's also easy to achieve with a few wheat seeds and some patience. Honestly I can't think of an actual good reason to put in the effort to find these (hours in both cases) nor settle them adequately, except I suppose some ill-beloved appreciation for things that are difficult to find. At first I had thought it was mycelium itself that prevented mobs from spawning, which had some modest appeal, but that too proved false. In the mean time at least I get some nice SMP hideouts where nobody pesters me much.

EDIT: I don't bother finding these things on singleplayer.