Charity

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Charity

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys :)
So the first one went to Amnesty, and the next one will be for MSF, the Red Cross and Bill Gate's fondation :)
Ick. Batto, if my opinion in this is significant, please no Bill Gates. It'll leave me feeling distinctly dirty, in the non-fun way :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Sure it is ;)
Then I guess no Bill Gates. What's wrong with it's fondation ?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Sure it is ;)
Then I guess no Bill Gates. What's wrong with it's fondation ?
I have a long standing history with Bill Gates and view his charity as a thinly veiled attempt to wash the blood off his hands in the public eye.

While I don't have a problem with the charity itself, I do have a problem with the reasons for its creation and a BIG problem with the man behind it.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

This is one that I'm very fond of. This charity provides adults and children in developing countries with the essential ingredient for life: Water

http://www.wateraid.org/uk/about_us/default.asp
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Could I just request that you give some thought to UNICEF for the future too, it's a charity that I've personally seen doing the most wonderful work with kids all over the world!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Wikipedia wrote:The foundation was at the same time criticized because it invests assets that it has not yet distributed with the exclusive goal of maximizing return on investment.
As a result, its investments include companies that have been charged with worsening poverty in the same developing countries where the Foundation is attempting to relieve poverty.
These include companies that pollute heavily, and pharmaceutical companies that do not sell into the developing world.

In response to press criticism, the foundation announced in 2007 a review of its investments, to assess social responsibility. It subsequently canceled the review and stood by its policy of investing for maximum return, while using voting rights to influence company practices.

The Gates Millennium Scholars program has been criticized for its exclusion of Caucasian students
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Urge to be smartass... overpowering.... me....

Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehabilitation Center

Okay, that's out of the way (there aren't wolves there...) I'm with FC on the Bill Gates foundation, much to the chagrin of my wife. She thinks I'm insane for my hatred of Bill Gates for all the wrong he's done in the past. I'd suggest some more, but it looks like you've got a good line-up of charities that would be on my list anyway. Battosay, you are the friggin' man for everything you put together for us and then to take what you get back for it and give it to others. Keep doing what you're doing man, you're an inspiration to us all.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

FlowerChild wrote:That's a very nice gesture you're making there man.

My personal vote would go for Amnesty International. Recent controversy aside, I think it is one of the most important non-profit organizations around.
I don't talk about my real life much, but I'd just like to strongly endorse FC's suggestion. I'm an international human rights law professor and activist in my day job and have been a student and academic member of AI, started a chapter when I was in my master's program, and have worked with them in-country on some great projects. They are very good at ensuring that funds go to what is needed.

I would suggest focusing on the AI international office, which happens to be in London, as opposed to any specific country office.

- Adj
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Adjudicator79 wrote: I'm an international human rights law professor and activist in my day job and have been a student and academic member of AI
Whoa dude. Respect.
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

Might I suggest the war amps? Or any society that helps cancer patients.

Any charity that has gates attached to it is stupid. He has enough money that he doesn't need our donations. Even though sources say that he does donate 75% of his yearly income to charity anyone who makes 250$ a second doesn't need our donations.

Same goes with any charity that has apple and Steve jobs name attached to it.

I also have personal reservations against charities that involve religious groups and charities that help "those less fortunate."

I am going to explain that last statement, in my experience if you have the money to buy weed, cigarettes and booze and then require charity to feed your kids and pay your rent, hydro and phone you're not less fortunate you're a leech.

Just to clarify I have no problems with smokers or drug users I have a problem with those who buy their smokes and then turn to me asking for a loan so they can get a load of bread.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Johnnyboy wrote:I am going to explain that last statement, in my experience if you have the money to buy weed, cigarettes and booze and then require charity to feed your kids and pay your rent, hydro and phone you're not less fortunate you're a leech.
If we, as a society, are to stand any chance of getting anywhere, then it's our duty to make sure that even though these people are leeching, they can still survive on the shoulders of the more fortunate.

If people take really bad life decisions, don't punish them by denying them food, educate them, help them out to become better human beings. When I am in the dumps and wasting everyone's money, I hope no one calls me a leech and that I can get that helping hand.

We will never get ahead as a society as long as we keep pointing fingers, even if the points we make are correct. Solidarity is about altruism, not about being picky. Maybe the kids of those leechers will get a decent education, become fine citizens and thank you later. More often, they will end up living exactly the same degrading, useless life. I don't judge. When I give, I give freely.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Johnnyboy wrote:I also have personal reservations against charities that involve religious groups and charities that help "those less fortunate."
Guys, let's not turn this into a debate over your particular vision for "the final solution".

You're dragging this off topic and turning it into what is basically a political debate, which is not allowed on these forums.

I'd ask everyone to please refrain from continuing this discussion along these lines, or I will be forced to lock down the thread.