Pumps

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DaveYanakov

Re: Pumps

Post by DaveYanakov »

There is not enough brain bleach in existence to scrub that image out of my head...
Better is the enemy of Good
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

DaveYanakov wrote:There is not enough brain bleach in existence to scrub that image out of my head...
Rofl. right?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

DaveYanakov wrote:There is not enough brain bleach in existence to scrub that image out of my head...
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I can see it already... Rooms and more rooms filled with wolves, kept alive by machines, tubes feeding'em food intravenously, pumps extracting the digestion by-products... And when you don't need them anymore, you can still make some more cubes XD
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Sajuuk wrote:Am I the first to consider using pumps and pipes to suck dung out of wolves? I mean, if they are ever breedable it would be easy. Just farm and slurp that useful business out of there.
Doesn't have to be realistic, just fun! :D?
This. You should be Turtle'd right away ;)
Urian

Post by Urian »

Sajuuk wrote:Am I the first to consider using pumps and pipes to suck dung out of wolves? I mean, if they are ever breedable it would be easy. Just farm and slurp that useful business out of there.
I see a wonderful opportunity for the first mod once/if Flower releases his own API. Combine it with the BC API and we could have pipes connected to companion cubes (from behind obviously) that automatically sucks out dung when powered! Warning: using anything stronger than a redstone pump makes the companion cube go *shlooorp* (and *splat*)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Urian wrote:
I see a wonderful opportunity for the first mod once/if Flower releases his own API. Combine it with the BC API and we could have pipes connected to companion cubes (from behind obviously) that automatically sucks out dung when powered! Warning: using anything stronger than a redstone pump makes the companion cube go *shlooorp* (and *splat*)
Stronger pumps can extract blood, and it can be used in potions :)
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

Urian wrote: I see a wonderful opportunity for the first mod once/if Flower releases his own API. Combine it with the BC API and we could have pipes connected to companion cubes (from behind obviously) that automatically sucks out dung when powered! Warning: using anything stronger than a redstone pump makes the companion cube go *shlooorp* (and *splat*)

or connected to both front and back in a chain to create "enriched dung"

wolven dogipede
Spoiler
Show
Reference photoImage
Battosay wrote:
This. You should be Turtle'd right away ;)
Even if this is a little sarcastic I'm still honored by the gesture. ;)
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

A little visual aid just to show how awesome this idea is XD So many possibilities.... ugh....

* gets sick all over the floor *

Sorry, I got the flu. Nothing to do with the disturbing image above.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

In a recent post FC mentioned how it doesn't seem we need *another* form of food in the form of veal, baby lamb, oh so tasty. However, when conversing recently with a friend about the pumping crap out of wolf cube captives thing (spoken above) it got me thinking of ways to feed it.

Which, while it's not a 'pump' and perhaps not necessary on this thread, a way to solve any lament over abundance of food could be a grinder. Works like a hopper, collects any foodstuff, and mashes it all up into sausages. That could be used to simplify things or condense inventory space.

Or, in my twisted thought path, be used as an omnifood to pipe down the gullet of a captive canine. It's a solution to a problem no one has but me in my daydreams, and nobody needs a more effective way to manufacture dung, but maybe a food grinder could be functional as a way to deal with various abundant meats.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

That was a mightily epic derail, but I'll draw the line at someone suggesting a completely different block. In any event, does anyone have anything constructive to say about pumping water, lava... or wolf dung?
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

Sorry about that, I just wanted to complete a thought in a single thread, even though it was only partially related.
as far as the OP goes, I'm not so sure about panama canal-ing in minecraft. I guess there's a need, due to Finite Water existing, but I've not ever thought "I'd like to have this basement just pump itself out"

even when building this eyesore in the middle of a deep bay
Spoiler
Show
However, I am completely for this idea in concept. If it can be done with water (maybe lava) and items within BTW I consider it good. I don't really have anything to contribute, I just feel like however it comes out is going to be good.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm all for the idea in a way...as to how it would do it? hmm. I'd read the thread but...cba, so my thoughts:

- a block, ala buildcraft drops down a nice tube when mechanically powered
- if this tube would fall into a liquid block it stops
- while the tube isn't moving, it selects a random block within a radius of itself, and checks to see if it's a liquid source
- if it is, and the block above the pump is air, then the selected block is removed and spawned on top of the pump

up to the player how he chooses to deal with the newly spawned source block, but I'd recommend the pump emit redstone when there is a block above it, to aid automation of things.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

I have to say, some way to facilitate clearing deep water bodies (and possibly replacing them) would be great! Ideally, some way that doesn't require altering the basic minecraft water physics, or lack thereof would be in keeping with the philosophy of better than wolves, which I suspect would simply involve moving whole water blocks from place to place.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Has anyone tried using Buildcraft's pump to clear water yet? If it eats source blocks the way it did with oil back when I tried it, you would only need to lay down a single layer of dirt to sop up what gets left behind.
Miton2011

Post by Miton2011 »

anyone whos played terraria knows exactly what im talking about... the water blocks just move around until they settle in the lowest possible spot they can reach... therefor leadint to finite water sources. because, honestly, i hate it how you can make infinite water blocks from only 3 bucketfulls... maybe a new code for finite water in a new update? and should i consider suggesting this on the MC forums?
My mother told me that if I became a soldier, I would become a General. If I became a musician, I would be a rock star. Instead, I became a painter, and wound up as Picasso.

-Picasso
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Miton2011 wrote:anyone whos played terraria knows exactly what im talking about... the water blocks just move around until they settle in the lowest possible spot they can reach... therefor leadint to finite water sources. because, honestly, i hate it how you can make infinite water blocks from only 3 bucketfulls... maybe a new code for finite water in a new update? and should i consider suggesting this on the MC forums?
no, no no and no? Terraria doesn't have water blocks, it only takes 2 water buckets for an infinite spring, notch is apparently never changing how water works again, and there's already a very, very huge finitewater mod out there.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

DaveYanakov wrote:Has anyone tried using Buildcraft's pump to clear water yet? If it eats source blocks the way it did with oil back when I tried it, you would only need to lay down a single layer of dirt to sop up what gets left behind.
I have since you now need to supply water to combustion (iron) engines to keep them from overheating. It does indeed seem to remove water blocks, but I haven't tested it extensively yet, I don't think it removes the bottom layer of water since it can keep reforming, but it should lower water levels to one block deep. However I'm not sure if you can move the water to anywhere apart from tanks and combustion engines, so you'd either need large tanks, or lots of engines running. I am however a buildcraft newbie so don't quote me on that.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

gftweek wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:Has anyone tried using Buildcraft's pump to clear water yet? If it eats source blocks the way it did with oil back when I tried it, you would only need to lay down a single layer of dirt to sop up what gets left behind.
I have since you now need to supply water to combustion (iron) engines to keep them from overheating. It does indeed seem to remove water blocks, but I haven't tested it extensively yet, I don't think it removes the bottom layer of water since it can keep reforming, but it should lower water levels to one block deep. However I'm not sure if you can move the water to anywhere apart from tanks and combustion engines, so you'd either need large tanks, or lots of engines running. I am however a buildcraft newbie so don't quote me on that.
It would be easy enough to code the tanks to allow you to remove buckets of water from them.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Just a note to all the Terrarria fan here, it's possible to make an infinite ocean of water in that game with a single bucket.