Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by Mason11987 »

1.4.2 release just came out :)

Here is redstone helper's description of the changes since 1.3.2:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... ut/c6rhecs
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Mason11987 wrote:1.4.2 release just came out :)

Here is redstone helper's description of the changes since 1.3.2:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... ut/c6rhecs
Creepers

Will start exploding when they hit the ground, with explosions being more imminent with higher falls
Oh, that's going to make some people rage.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
August West

Post by August West »

That creeper change is going to make me rage. I am fine with creepers occasionally blowing up in my town, but now they are literally kamikazes!
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

August West wrote:That creeper change is going to make me rage. I am fine with creepers occasionally blowing up in my town, but now they are literally kamikazes!
I seriously hope this doesn't include fall based mobtraps.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Mob Heads: Only drop from Wither Skeletons, but also exist for creepers, zombies, skeletons and players
I remember your promise, FC :)
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

Stormweaver wrote:
Creepers

Will start exploding when they hit the ground, with explosions being more imminent with higher falls
Yeah that change stood out to me too. I just finished building my first ever mob grinder. The lowest spawning floor and the killing floor are close enough that mobs can survive the fall and I have a feeling my saws won't kill creepers fast enough before they explode. Do you think its possible that the shallow water flow leading to the saws will stop the explosion from damaging blocks?

That change seems a pretty big blow to any mobtrap that doesn't kill mobs instantly after falling... but i have seen mobs survive absurd drops before, one of battosays mob grinders come to mind.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

embirrim wrote:
August West wrote:That creeper change is going to make me rage. I am fine with creepers occasionally blowing up in my town, but now they are literally kamikazes!
Nah, the still need nearby player in their LoS to explode, they just explode much faster if they fell from high distance now.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

TheYaMeZ wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
Creepers

Yeah that change stood out to me too. I just finished building my first ever mob grinder. The lowest spawning floor and the killing floor are close enough that mobs can survive the fall and I have a feeling my saws won't kill creepers fast enough before they explode. Do you think its possible that the shallow water flow leading to the saws will stop the explosion from damaging blocks?

That change seems a pretty big blow to any mobtrap that doesn't kill mobs instantly after falling... but i have seen mobs survive absurd drops before, one of battosays mob grinders come to mind.
They won't explode without a nearby player, the explosion (if they're in water) shouldn't destroy anything, and FC wouldn't allow mob traps to stop working just because of a vMC change :). I don't think there's much to worry about here, except for cave exploration, which should be more terrifying, which is pretty neat.

Also really interested in checking out the new sounds.
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

That makes a lot more sense, the wording was quite vague and a little worrying.
Mason11987 wrote:Also really interested in checking out the new sounds.
The only new sounds I noticed were minecart sounds and ladder climbing sounds. So glad minecarts actually make noise now, was really strange they didnt, especially on long trips.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

TheYaMeZ wrote:That makes a lot more sense, the wording was quite vague and a little worrying.
Mason11987 wrote:Also really interested in checking out the new sounds.
The only new sounds I noticed were minecart sounds and ladder climbing sounds. So glad minecarts actually make noise now, was really strange they didnt, especially on long trips.
Some sound changes:

Updated the sound engine

Added sounds for placing Wood-, Stone-, Plant-, Sand- and Gravel-like blocks
Added sounds for walking on Sand, Gravel, Soulsand, Grass and Stone
Added sounds for zombies, skeletons, cows, pigs, spiders, endermen, ghasts, silverfish, magma cubes, wolves and the ender dragon
Added sounds for setting things on fire and shearing sheep
Added sounds for climbing ladders and riding minecarts
Added sounds for the Ender Dragon sounds
Added a sound for levelling up which is played every 5 levels
Added constant noise to liquids
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

So I tried out 1.4.2 today after having never tested the snapshots. My thoughts:
- Item frames are cool. First thing I put in one was another item frame :)
- Vanilla anvil is ugly, but the metallic clang it makes on placement could be useful to modders
- Mob heads are fun. Unfortunately, the player head seems to use the default skin (in ssp at least)
- Vanilla flowerpot is wierd. On one hand, you can put a flower in a single block space as opposed to btw's two spaces, but on the other hand, you can't punch the flower. No hitbox except the pot itself.
- Haven't tested the Wither yet
- Haven't tested wither skeletons yet either
- Witch is odd. They chuck poison potions at the player, but apparently have no sounds (but I guess that fits in with the normal villagers being seemingly mute too)

I like item frames and mob heads, but I think I'm staying with 1.3 and btw for now. Too much work in that world to just walk away from it even temporarily, because temporary new worlds never seem to be temporary.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

haphazardnuke wrote:So I tried out 1.4.2 today after having never tested the snapshots. My thoughts:
- Item frames are cool. First thing I put in one was another item frame :)
- Vanilla anvil is ugly, but the metallic clang it makes on placement could be useful to modders
- Mob heads are fun. Unfortunately, the player head seems to use the default skin (in ssp at least)
- Vanilla flowerpot is wierd. On one hand, you can put a flower in a single block space as opposed to btw's two spaces, but on the other hand, you can't punch the flower. No hitbox except the pot itself.
- Haven't tested the Wither yet
- Haven't tested wither skeletons yet either
- Witch is odd. They chuck poison potions at the player, but apparently have no sounds (but I guess that fits in with the normal villagers being seemingly mute too)

I like item frames and mob heads, but I think I'm staying with 1.3 and btw for now. Too much work in that world to just walk away from it even temporarily, because temporary new worlds never seem to be temporary.
Yeah Item frames are my #1 feature here. I've been wanting a way to label my glue and steak chests for a while and that'll work perfectly.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Yeah, I'm a fan of item frames and mob heads too, but I like the anvil, to an extent. Not the enchant-combination, but the naming feature. Purely aesthetic, but it is really neat to feel like I'm wielding a legendary diamond blade :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: I remember your promise, FC :)
Well, it wasn't a promise, but I do remember too ;)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

embirrim wrote:
Wouldn't they die before they could explode? I guess that depends if its the fall that kills them or just gets them to half a heart.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

My response to the update, meh. Its okay. Sounds are always nice and renaming things is kinda cool, but those things aside, nothing even peaks my interest.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

"One will chirp and the other will throw potions at you, both equally terrifying prospects"

okay i get the potions being a "threat" and you can make the argument they are terrifying but is the reason bats chirping is supposed to be terrifying because after you hear it for the 100th time it gets irritating ?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The new riding minecart sound is broken but could probably make a great stone on stone noise.
Rianaru wrote:
embirrim wrote:
Wouldn't they die before they could explode? I guess that depends if its the fall that kills them or just gets them to half a heart.
Creepers don't actually explode on taking fall damage, they just start to explode so they will go off more quickly if a target is close. If there's no target to attack, they calm back down as normal.
Better is the enemy of Good
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Since morv is banned/deturtled/whatever happened, is somebody else going to take up the news compilation?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:Since morv is banned/deturtled/whatever happened, is somebody else going to take up the news compilation?
It's a temp ban.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: It's a temp ban.
Oh, ok. Apologies
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

DaveYanakov wrote: Creepers don't actually explode on taking fall damage, they just start to explode so they will go off more quickly if a target is close. If there's no target to attack, they calm back down as normal.
Oh ok, thanks for the info. That's actually a nice mechanic then. Although tbh, with the new AI, the only mobs that jump off cliffs are angry pigmen. The other ones, when they notice you, take the 100 block route instead of taking the 3 high block fall.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

embirrim wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote: Creepers don't actually explode on taking fall damage, they just start to explode so they will go off more quickly if a target is close. If there's no target to attack, they calm back down as normal.
Oh ok, thanks for the info. That's actually a nice mechanic then. Although tbh, with the new AI, the only mobs that jump off cliffs are angry pigmen. The other ones, when they notice you, take the 100 block route instead of taking the 3 high block fall.
new AI as of when? This change says they they'll jump down to attack you even if it'll hurt.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Mason11987 wrote:Oh ok, thanks for the info. That's actually a nice mechanic then. Although tbh, with the new AI, the only mobs that jump off cliffs are angry pigmen. The other ones, when they notice you, take the 100 block route instead of taking the 3 high block fall.
From what I have read and seen, mobs will be more willing to fall down and take damage to get to you now, just no fall that will kill them.
Last edited by walker_boh_65 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six

Post by Six »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:Oh ok, thanks for the info. That's actually a nice mechanic then. Although tbh, with the new AI, the only mobs that jump off cliffs are angry pigmen. The other ones, when they notice you, take the 100 block route instead of taking the 3 high block fall.
new AI as of when? This change says they they'll jump down to attack you even if it'll hurt.
From what I have read and seen, mobs will be more willing to fall down and take damage to get to you now, just no fall that will kill them.[/quote]
Do the mobs still look for a valid non-jump path before they decide to jump off a fall? I assume this is what walker is meaning and that they will rather walk around a drop than jump down it onto your head.