BTW Deco Add-on (pre-release v0.4.5 - updated 6/11)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Andellmere

Re: Working on a BTW addon

Post by Andellmere »

jorgebonafe wrote:
TheAnarchitect wrote:Honestly, of the current options crafting it IS the most realistic. The mill would throw the oil out in a random direction, and in most people's setup into water. That would be weird.
Good thing water and oil don't mix :P
Of course, that brings to mind a brand new filter in the hopper to separate the two so you can store the oil and leave the water.

...Great add-on Kaos. Looking forward to the extended ID's so I can play around with this.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

mr_spoonylegs wrote:Have you considered adding slidding papper doors? Not to sure how the programing would work but it would fit with the papper walls, keep up the good work :-)
Thanks for the support! And yes I have considered them but I also am not sure how I would go about writing them. But I don't want to discuss potential methods for coding them as if I do add them it's going to be some time from now.
Andellmere wrote:Of course, that brings to mind a brand new filter in the hopper to separate the two so you can store the oil and leave the water.
...Great add-on Kaos. Looking forward to the extended ID's so I can play around with this.
I'm glad you like it :)

But no I probably won't be adding any new hopper filters :P
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Which is kind of funny because last night I was thinking about overly complicated but fun and automation-friendly ways of making oil, and a hopper filter came to mind. Putting a millstone in a powered hopper as a filter, feeding hemp seeds in the top, and having the oil fill an urn to make a pot of oil. Sort of like how we bottle souls. Or we could just put a bucket in the hopper, like you used to be able to do to fill urns.

Of course, something that complicated isn't worth it just for stain. But I'm thinking that hemp oil could have more uses. Vegetable oils are one of the more useful things people have ever invented, up there with knives in terms of wide ranging utility. Placing a jar of oil and then using flint and steel on it could light it, as an oil lamp light source. And a lit oil jar could be thrown, smashing open and spreading fire like a molotov cocktail. Also, Hemp oil could be used as fuel, if there is a way to get your urn back afterwards.

I'm just brainstorming here. Hemp oil is just one of those things that could have a ton of potential. And once it's got 3 or 4 uses, a recipe for it that's capable of being automated would be awesome.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I made you something :D
Spoiler
Show
Never say no to Panda.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Placing a jar of oil and then using flint and steel on it could light it, as an oil lamp light source.
This! This is awesome. That actually would go really well with an ignitable/extinguishable lantern block.

But yeah, I definitely see the value in hemp oils versatility. And I definitely want to encourage automation, so I'll keep these ideas in mind. :)
Panda wrote:I made you something :D
Oh wow Panda that looks gorgeous! I need to upload the updated textures for you sometime soon, I'll try to do it tomorrow (I don't have access to my computer right now)
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

About sliding doors. The japanese mod I'm using at the moment handles them as entities that move when you approach.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Updated OP :)
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Its really looking great Kaos!
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I'm looking forward to this a lot.

Any chance I can get a playtest version early? :]
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Syruse wrote:Its really looking great Kaos!
TheAnarchitect wrote:I'm looking forward to this a lot.

Any chance I can get a playtest version early? :]
Thanks guys! And you know Anarchitect, I am going to go ahead and do a pre-release now. I've thought about it for awhile and I'm just too anxious to wait for the block ID increase. I'll just have to include a warning and disclaimer.

Download link will be up shortly.

EDIT: Link is up. :)
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Hmm... does Laira's rights extend to additions?

Fuck it.
Spoiler
Show
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Good job man, good job. Looking pretty solid! If you want help with bugfixing, I can do some playing around to see if I can find anything.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

embirrim wrote:Good job man, good job. Looking pretty solid! If you want help with bugfixing, I can do some playing around to see if I can find anything.
Sure man! I'm just happy to have it out there already. Let me know what you discover :)

Oh to be sure, I am aware that there is a problem with the placing of the firefly lanterns, and I am also aware of a "bug" with the mead barrel texture. The mead barrel thing is easy to fix, and as to the lanterns I just haven't gotten around to it. It just doesn't seem like a huge problem. There's also a weird issue with the cherry leaves on the ground, that sometimes you can fall through them, but that's a vanilla problem I think.

And @Anarchitect, that gif is awesome. Saving to my reactions folder :P

EDIT: The main thing I'm excited for is to see some screenshots of some creative building with my blocks. :)

EDIT 2: This won't be apparent right away, but if you use a different texture pack, the falling leaves from cherry trees might look a little weird. I still haven't figured out how to add custom textures to a particle effect.
Last edited by kaos78414 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Hmm... does Laira's rights extend to additions?

Fuck it.
Spoiler
Show
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>.>
<.<
I guess I can let this slide. Just once. Just for that gif and the fact they're not quite as adorable as I am.

*squeee!* I'mma go add this in now. :D
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

All right. I've just been playing with this stuff in creative mode because my death earlier today means I don't wanna play my survival island for a bit. But here are my observations after playing for a spell.

Bugs are pretty. Fireflies are pretty. It's surprising how much they do to make a field feel alive. Interestingly, they can also swim.

Sakura trees are pretty. They seem to grow as if they are applewood, which is fine except that a surprising number spawn with leaves 1 block above ground. This isn't a problem except that it obscures the pretty piles of petals below the tree. It seems like with all the effort that went into adding that feature, you might want to make sure it's shown off with every tree.

Also, I can't use bonemeal to grow a sakura tree. Is this intentional?

Honeysuckle is pretty. I notice I can't climb it like I can vines.

I'm enjoying the different flowers, but I think the pollen effect is a bit random. Considering I'm potentially farming these for dye, I'd prefer something a little more contained. Actually, might it be possible to have the different flowers spawn near beehives in addition to the pollen? The idea being that the bees encourage flower growth. Or maybe have the bees do it like they do with hives. I also thought that maybe the bees should turn aggressive when you start breaking hives.

Anyway, I'll start using this conservatively in my main world once I find the will to go on. I'll give a more balanced review when I've run with it for a few days. And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for giving us a beta test. This is awesome.
kaos78414

Re: Working on a BTW addon(Prerelease out! Backup worlds fir

Post by kaos78414 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Bugs are pretty. Fireflies are pretty. It's surprising how much they do to make a field feel alive. Interestingly, they can also swim.
Yeah I noticed that myself. I haven't quite figured out how to make them avoid water. Noted, I'll look into it when I get a chance.
TheAnarchitect wrote:Sakura trees are pretty. They seem to grow as if they are applewood, which is fine except that a surprising number spawn with leaves 1 block above ground. This isn't a problem except that it obscures the pretty piles of petals below the tree. It seems like with all the effort that went into adding that feature, you might want to make sure it's shown off with every tree.
Yes their growth is an exact clone of apple wood trees. I haven't looked much into custom generation, but it would seem easy enough to make them a little taller by default. And bonemeal doesn't work because (I think) that would require modifying a base class. And I don't think I'll be adding any custom fertilizers.
TheAnarchitect wrote:Honeysuckle is pretty. I notice I can't climb it like I can vines.
Noted, I'll see what I can do about this.
TheAnarchitect wrote:I'm enjoying the different flowers, but I think the pollen effect is a bit random. Considering I'm potentially farming these for dye, I'd prefer something a little more contained. Actually, might it be possible to have the different flowers spawn near beehives in addition to the pollen? The idea being that the bees encourage flower growth. Or maybe have the bees do it like they do with hives. I also thought that maybe the bees should turn aggressive when you start breaking hives.
I'm actually happy with the bees dropping pollens randomly, I don't think I'll be changing that. I know it's a little unrealistic, but it was the simplest way to approach it, and I'm very satisfied with the result. As to making them go aggressive, it's something I'm still considering - I'll have to think more on that. It might wind up being more of an annoyance than anything.

EDIT: I totally misunderstood you. I see what you're saying now. Yeah the pollen effect is an exact copy of bonemeal for the most part, except that it substitutes the yellow and red flowers for mine, with a slightly higher chance of spawning them. I do actually like that there's a chance to get no flowers at all, but if it proves to be too tedious that can change.

Thanks for the fast feedback! Much appreciated, and I'm glad you like it so far. :)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Honeysuckle is pretty. I notice I can't climb it like I can vines.
Noted, I'll see what I can do about this.

For that you can always use FC's hook he put in a while back...
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

A few more notes:
Can you turn collision detection off for the insects? They keep shoving me around. This is kinda OK for bees, as I think they should be a little annoying, But fireflies shouldn't shove.

Speaking of, I feel like they are kinda rare. It may be because I'm in a jungle biome, but mostly I keep seeing single fireflies hanging out alone. In real life I never see fewer than 3 at a time. If I'm using them for lighting I'm gonna need a lot of them anyway. Maybe kick spawn up a notch or three?

Contrarywise, I have a LOT of hemp oil suddenly. And I have a feeling I could use all that stain if I tried, but my ability to get more outpaces my ability to generate bonemeal or honey by about a factor of 10.

Might the firefly lanterns flicker a little?

And to make up for all the nitpickyness, here's some prettiness:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Deepsniper wrote: For that you can always use FC's hook he put in a while back...
Yeah, all you have to do for that is implement the FCIBlockClimbable interface for the block in question and return true from IsBlockClimable() (which is the only method in that interface).

Sorry for the typos in the names there.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

More prettiness:
Spoiler
Show
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

FlowerChild wrote:-snip-
Hey FC! I didn't know you followed the thread anymore. And that does make things easier. Thanks for that! :)
TheAnarchitect wrote:Can you turn collision detection off for the insects? They keep shoving me around. This is kinda OK for bees, as I think they should be a little annoying, But fireflies shouldn't shove.
They both probably shouldn't IMO - I wonder if there's a way to have them noclip through the player but not through blocks. Noted.
TheAnarchitect wrote:Speaking of, I feel like they are kinda rare. It may be because I'm in a jungle biome, but mostly I keep seeing single fireflies hanging out alone. In real life I never see fewer than 3 at a time. If I'm using them for lighting I'm gonna need a lot of them anyway. Maybe kick spawn up a notch or three?
They should spawn in groups of 3-8 I think, but I'll double check. I noticed that sometimes they get stuck in leaf blocks and despawn, but I'll see what I can do in this regard.
TheAnarchitect wrote:Contrarywise, I have a LOT of hemp oil suddenly. And I have a feeling I could use all that stain if I tried, but my ability to get more outpaces my ability to generate bonemeal or honey by about a factor of 10.
I don't think this is a problem. Hemp oil will have other uses, so maybe just save it for now (I mean before, didn't you just have a chest full of seeds? Now it'll be oil :P). I'm also fairly certain honeycomb collection can be automated. I'll try to build a machine soon to illustrate, hopefully it'll work.
TheAnarchitect wrote:Might the firefly lanterns flicker a little?
This might be possible. I'll look into it. I also did want the block to be animated, looking into that as well.
TheAnarchitect wrote:And to make up for all the nitpickyness, here's some prettiness:
Can't wait to see more :D
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

Downloaded! looking forward to trying it out this evening when I get home from work.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

This looks GREAT! Downloading now. Can't wait to test my creative side a little bit more.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Just as a very small suggestion, (more of OCD, actually... :P) could you change it so instea of hemp oil being crafted with just 1 hemp seed it's crafted with 1 hemp seed above a glass bottle? It just kind of makes sense because in the hemp oil icon the hemp oil is in a bottle. Not a glass bottle, of course, but doing that could be accomplished with a texture change.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Wow, this looks great! I like the extra aesthetics, and the stain is very useful. TheAnarchitect's builds make me a bit jealous though, I can't build anything that pretty :)
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.