M!C's News Compilation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Brethern

Re: M!C's News Compilation

Post by Brethern »

Stormweaver wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:
DocLazy wrote:
Urian wrote:It goes on top. Filling a hole/crater with solid water is now much easier. If only there was a way to empty the bucket of water (e.g. hold right click) then it would be a truly great update.
Filling a hole is still a nightmare as you can only carry so many buckets.
But you only need 2!
True, but when it comes down to it, running back and forth to fill a 40-50m^3 hole with two buckets is just painful. it's ok if the hole is really shallow, but...ugh. Oh well.

In a lot of ways, this might be MJ's first step towards making a more sensible water mechanic. Not that i expect this kind of forethought from them, but a few more small changes like this, followed by the removal of infinite springs might actually happen. Which would be nice imo.
Is there any reason as to why we can't have creative's water? Instead of what we have now?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote:Is there any reason as to why we can't have creative's water? Instead of what we have now?
Yes, performance.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:
Brethern wrote:Is there any reason as to why we can't have creative's water? Instead of what we have now?
Yes, performance.
Assuming that in the future when minecraft is coded better I want creative water. I have a decently good beast of a computer I should have water that works right.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Brethern wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
Yes, performance.
Assuming that in the future when minecraft is coded better I want creative water. I have a decently good beast of a computer I should have water that works right.
And not everyone has a decently good beast of a computer. :/

Seriously, dude. What are you trying to accomplish?

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

I've only played minecraft since 1.3, what do you oldies mean by creative water ?
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

KWilt wrote:
Brethern wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
Yes, performance.
And not everyone has a decently good beast of a computer. :/

Seriously, dude. What are you trying to accomplish?
This isn't ten years ago. There is on excuse not to have a decent computer these days.
FurkeyRefills wrote:I've only played minecraft since 1.3, what do you oldies mean by creative water ?
Here
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote: Assuming that in the future when minecraft is coded better I want creative water. I have a decently good beast of a computer I should have water that works right.
It's not a matter of how it is coded. It's a matter of there always being limitations in processing power and bandwidth.

You can't have everything in a game. Simulating the behavior of fluids (especially in 3D) is performance draining no matter how you look at it, which is why so few games do so. Personally, I find the fluid dynamics in Minecraft, while grossly simplified, to have been a pretty good design choice: you get interesting and useful behavior out of them without them becoming a major performance issue.

A big part of the reason behind Minecraft's success IMO is that Notch was smart enough to make those kinds of compromises in his design to make the whole thing possible. This is represented in everything from the world being made of big cubes, to the fluid dynamics.

As an aside, last night I set a precedent by perma-banning someone for the first time ever for being a persistent negative factor in the community. We've got a couple of regular posters here that pretty much every time they say something, it's a complaint. Frankly, they bring me (and I assume others) down with their constant negativity, and I find my spirits sinking every time I see they've made a post with me thinking "Oh no. What now?".

It's something to consider.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Brethren, your constant whining is seriously starting to get on my nerves. I recommend you tone it down.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Urian wrote:Brethren, your constant whining is seriously starting to get on my nerves. I recommend you tone it down.
For once I wasn't whining about something. I asked a question and I wanted to get more information as to why performance is a limitation.

I admit that I worded it poorly and I'm sorry.
Urian

Post by Urian »

This isn't ten years ago. There is no excuse not to have a decent computer these days.
sounded a bit like whining to me. I agree with you though that it's not so much this time although (as you seem to be aware of yourself as well :p) you've whined quite a lot about vMC previously. Factor in that I'd rather be at the pub right now but am at home with a migraine and you get a short tempered mod. As I said, no actions taken now but do tone it down in the future.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Just wondering Urian, what's the finnish word for pub ?
Urian

Post by Urian »

It's the same, pub (sometimes pubi is also used but that's more colloquial)
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Wow that's cool, if the drinking limit is the same as England then I can go over there in 4 years and know what to ask directions for ! ;)
Urian

Post by Urian »

The legal drinking age is 18 for most pubs and a bit higher for clubs (around 21-24 usually). You can ask but understanding the answer might be a bit more difficult ;) It's not that difficult to find one, I don't think you can go more than 3 blocks without finding a pub in most larger cities :)
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Yeah, considering that you just told me my first word of Finnish it might be a good idea if I brushed up a bit before I tried to travel there ! ;)

Two days of silence, WOW !
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

Stormweaver wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:
DocLazy wrote:
Urian wrote:It goes on top. Filling a hole/crater with solid water is now much easier. If only there was a way to empty the bucket of water (e.g. hold right click) then it would be a truly great update.
Filling a hole is still a nightmare as you can only carry so many buckets.
But you only need 2!
True, but when it comes down to it, running back and forth to fill a 40-50m^3 hole with two buckets is just painful. it's ok if the hole is really shallow, but...ugh. Oh well.

In a lot of ways, this might be MJ's first step towards making a more sensible water mechanic. Not that i expect this kind of forethought from them, but a few more small changes like this, followed by the removal of infinite springs might actually happen. Which would be nice imo.
Exactly.

I was thinking about how to change the water mechanics with out changing too much how the game works now.

One thing to do would have flowing liquid source blocks dry up after a certain amount of time. Springs would need to be replaced by a cracked stone block or something that spits out water infinitely. This would just balance out buckets and get rid of infinite cobble generators and open up to the possibility of things like pumps to keep the water flowing.

To be honest, I'd rather have the new water mechanic work better. At the moment emptying a bucket into a source only has a very limited spread, the new source will only end up a block or two away from where you clicked. It would be nice if it had a much larger range so you could stand in one spot and fill a large hole or use a pump from a mod.

The limited spread actually makes their change completely useless anyway. Since you can create a small pool, jump in and empty your buckets that way.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Stormweaver wrote:True, but when it comes down to it, running back and forth to fill a 40-50m^3 hole with two buckets is just painful. it's ok if the hole is really shallow, but...ugh. Oh well.

You do not really have to run back and forth. If you are placing water against a wall, you can place it every other block,creating an infinite sourceblock in the middle, then pick up the middle and place it 2 blocks afar from the last one etc. It also works for the next row you try to fill, as long as there are water sources in the previous row. All this of course requires a flat ground 1 deep only.

I find vMC water mechanics just fine to be honest, and the new change sounds great. (but until I get used to it much woe will ensue. Water will be spilling everywhere. Be careful when near redstone!)
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

M!C wrote: nothing yet ... this is about to become the second day of silence ...
But hey, since I've got nothing else to tell: my 100. edit of this post! almost 20000 posts overall and the 1000th member close by. :P
So who wants to guess on what the 100oth member's first post will be? Mine is, a suggestion, and a bad one at that.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
M!C wrote: nothing yet ... this is about to become the second day of silence ...
But hey, since I've got nothing else to tell: my 100. edit of this post! almost 20000 posts overall and the 1000th member close by. :P
So who wants to guess on what the 100oth member's first post will be? Mine is, a suggestion, and a bad one at that.
Hmmm...I'm agreed on it being a suggestion.

Now, will it be:
a) a generic BTW fail (diamond tipped saws)
-or-
b) a completely out of place idea

hmm. Oh, following on from the 'water' sub-topic: Finite water v5 just got released. Might have to try it this time >.<
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'm guessing tech support question.

Ugh, Finite water is perhaps the only "major" mod I've tried that I utterly hated and despised. The water mechanics as they are now in vMC is one of the things I enjoy most in the game and having rain being able to destroy redstone on the ground is just plainly idiotic.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Urian wrote:I'm guessing tech support question.

Ugh, Finite water is perhaps the only "major" mod I've tried that I utterly hated and despised. The water mechanics as they are now in vMC is one of the things I enjoy most in the game and having rain being able to destroy redstone on the ground is just plainly idiotic.
Was the complete opposite for me, I enjoyed it alot. Having a liquid as a managable resource, utilizing its kinetic and potential (is that the name in english ?) energy, building water tanks and pump systems as well as dry the occasional lake was quite enjoyable. The way you can evaporate water also was quite interesting, too bad there was no steam but for it to increase the chance of rain certainly had some appeal. because I just love the sound of rain :). I don't tend to build redstone stuff above the ground though, which means I never had problems with it destroying anything, except maybe dowsing a bonfire or two (netherrack). One aspect of the mod though was pretty annoying for me and that was that even the smalest puddle of water invoked the swim physics and therefore slowed you down for no reason. Besides that, for the brief period I used it I had alot of fun with it, but sadly its not compatible with BTW and just doesn't offer enough on its own to base a world around it, ah well , maybe I'll have a look at the newest version :).
M!C

Post by M!C »

Finally, Mojang's radio silence is over ... nothing exciting really but it's a start. ;)
Urian

Post by Urian »

Stop! Hammertime!

Err...I meant: Begun the feature freeze has.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Hopefully they fix the FPS drop from beta 1.8 !
And I also expect every bug fixed since they have a month of code freeze !
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FurkeyRefills wrote:Hopefully they fix the FPS drop from beta 1.8 !
Confirmed by Jeb
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx