Ivalice (Original Server) Better Than Solo [BTW 4.8912]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
boshyboo

Re: Better Than Solo - Friendly - Whitelist Reopened! [BTW 4

Post by boshyboo »

IGN:boshyboo

Hi there. I've read over the server and forum rules as per the application instructions and agree to them. Despite having just made a forum account I've been playing MC and BTW on and off for some time (MC since Indev, and BTW since turntables were introduced). However I haven't touched multiplayer since a few weeks after it was introduced, but I'd love to try a server built around the only mod I've found that really addresses the base problems with vanilla MC, and Better than Solo seems like a great place to start.

Included here is an example of a particularly memorable event from my limited MC multiplayer experiences.
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

boshyboo wrote:IGN:boshyboo
Included here is an example of a particularly memorable event from my limited MC multiplayer experiences.
Lol "please whitelist me, I played with Notch on vMC"
boshyboo

Post by boshyboo »

ehsanmp wrote:
Lol "please whitelist me, I played with Notch on vMC"
I should've clarified, it was during a time when, rumor was, there was a hack that allowed people to fake IGN's. I doubt it was actually him, and just thought it was a funny little moment to include (as well as a way to show that I've been playing for some time).
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Updated OP to include the following mod change:
  • Limited squid spawning so it cannot drastically pass the spawn limit when a lot of ocean chunks are loaded. This was causing a lot of needless tick time.
The limitation is a bit buggy right now but I went for the safe route until I have more time to implement a proper solution. At least we won't have 400 squid killing the tick time!
Last edited by andreinawolf on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

boshyboo wrote:I should've clarified, it was during a time when, rumor was, there was a hack that allowed people to fake IGN's. I doubt it was actually him, and just thought it was a funny little moment to include (as well as a way to show that I've been playing for some time).
hehe don't worry about ehsan and his teasing. I'll set up an alias for you so you appear as "Notch" in chat. That'll teach ehsan a lesson! Btw, I'm a bit busy at the moment but will properly review your request later tonight :)
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

The power has gone out at life's. He's not home but he'll work with someone who's there over the phone once the power is back.

In the mean time, life is running a temp MC server from where he is now. So lets build some sweet mob factory and crash his computer!!!

The IP is 208.120.29.29 and I've updated the DNS to point to it for now.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Server is back up. We had to do a rollback to 8pm (about 2 hours lost).

I've order a UPS for life and I've modded various /save-XXX commands so I can actually do some reliable backups.

I'll be doing complete backups every 4 hours with incrementals inbetween, hopefully as often as every 10 minutes.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Whitelisted! See you soon :) Make sure to check out the "Guide for New Players" in the OP after you login.
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

Server has been down for a bit folks. Had a bit of a power mishap. Should be back up later today. We will also be undergoing a hardware upgrade sometime today as well which I will be coordinating with Andre. So expect some outages today :P
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

As life mentioned, the power was knocked out from the server and I had to do a rollback.

I hate that I've had to do so many rollbacks recently, and I am very sorry for it.

As some of you know, I'm writing a new backup script and modded the server to support more reliable backups. My goal is to do backups every 10-15 minutes.

On a positive note, life has purchased new (see: faster) hardware for the server and the UPS I ordered him should arrive today :)
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Added a new rule:
Do not mar shared landscapes! If you live in close proximity to other bases, do not make large changes to the landscape or build in such a way that takes away from their view. This includes above-ground railways and overly large temporary or ugly structures. If you have an idea for a project that would change a shared landscape, please contact me first.
Edit: Removed this rule for now as it sounds a too heavy handed.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Instead of the previously posted rule, an existing rule has been updated:
Work together in shared areas! While the world has a near infinite size, most of us will be sharing the same areas. Be prepared to work collaboratively when different players' projects share a common space or when bases are close to each other. If your project affects the Overworld scenery of your neighbors, make sure to communicate with them what your intent is and get their feedback.
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

Hey all,

I'm posting to the board in regard to overground rails. This has been a topic of discussion for quite a while now, and my base seems to be the hub of it.

Overground rails are something that cuts through the world, everyone comes across them, everyone has to look at them. They should be pleasing to the eye, they should be safe. If you want an easy no frills rail, do it underground. When a rail line is just a series of ugly 1 block towers linked together, you have done it wrong.

While I have no problem with people using my base as a transport hub, I do take issue with these rails. Since Arad built the first one between mine and his, which we, Andre, Arad and myself, agreed was a steaming pile of crap both aesthetically and functionally, and a revision of it is in the pipeline.

Sadly, TopGuy and Aaron, you guys have chosen to use this same design, probably ignorant to the decision mentioned above, and there are now three rails with the aforementioned horrific design emanating from my base.

If you asked me beforehand, I would have of course let you know, but you went ahead without even leaving a sign about it.

We've agreed it's to be taken down, you have a week to do so and collect your materials and rails, or improve upon it to the point that anyone could agree it was aesthetically pleasing, in which case I will leave it be.

However if it isn't resolved As of the 24th of February, all of it within my significant visual range, will be blown up.

If you need inspiration, talk to Mikko_Blu, he is the shit.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

ehsanmp wrote:I'm posting to the board in regard to overground rails.
Thanks for the formal post about your concerns Ehsan :) I can direct them to here so they know exactly how you feel in your words.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Updated the OP to include information about backups under "Server Info".

Complete backups are still done every 4 hours.

However, every 10 minutes in between complete backups a differential backup is made. These backups include all the changes files since the last complete backup. This should effectively reduce roll backs to under 10 minutes, compared to up to 4 hours before.
topguy

Post by topguy »

ehsanmp wrote:Hey all,

I'm posting to the board in regard to overground rails. This has been a topic of discussion for quite a while now, and my base seems to be the hub of it.

Overground rails are something that cuts through the world, everyone comes across them, everyone has to look at them. They should be pleasing to the eye, they should be safe. If you want an easy no frills rail, do it underground. When a rail line is just a series of ugly 1 block towers linked together, you have done it wrong.

While I have no problem with people using my base as a transport hub, I do take issue with these rails. Since Arad built the first one between mine and his, which we, Andre, Arad and myself, agreed was a steaming pile of crap both aesthetically and functionally, and a revision of it is in the pipeline.

Sadly, TopGuy and Aaron, you guys have chosen to use this same design, probably ignorant to the decision mentioned above, and there are now three rails with the aforementioned horrific design emanating from my base.

If you asked me beforehand, I would have of course let you know, but you went ahead without even leaving a sign about it.

We've agreed it's to be taken down, you have a week to do so and collect your materials and rails, or improve upon it to the point that anyone could agree it was aesthetically pleasing, in which case I will leave it be.

However if it isn't resolved As of the 24th of February, all of it within my significant visual range, will be blown up.

If you need inspiration, talk to Mikko_Blu, he is the shit.
Sorry about that, I just hated going across the desert : /.

If possible, could we remake a rail that looks better? We are sure that it will be appealing for you.

I am not on the forum much looking at the posts of servers. So you can post here your answer, and when possible ask Arad or AndreM to tell me when you post. Thanks!

-Topguy
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

Yeah definitely I'm all for a nice rail! I would be more than happy to include you in the design process between me and Arad. Killman also wants to help build the new ones.
Skrump

Post by Skrump »

IGN:Skrumpti0uzZ

Greetings. This is my whitelist app, as you can already tell by its format. I read the rules as well. I've been playing BTW for quite some time (ever since I got into playing with mods in MC beta 1.7). I have the basic knowledge of BTW, but it has been a while because of the updates. Last time I played BTW was in 1.2.5, and I'm not quite sure about all the updates I've missed, but I'm sure that I'll be on track with all the changes. When I build, I usually incorporate some kind of interativity rather than focusing a lot on aethetics. So, I guess I would call myself a rather decent builder. Overall, I enjoy BTW, but I have yet to try out the servers.

Oh, and I'm from Canada :)
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

After finishing the east rail line, I built a station at the end so I could visit Zhel's base finally. Lit the portal up, and here is where I ended up:

Freaking epic! 3 enchanted books in the chest that was there too. Those will find some good homes in item frames :)
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

maxsi

Post by maxsi »

and the server web page show this
Spoiler
Show
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Hey guys. Just woke up and saw the same stuff. IM'd him and will txt him in a sec if I don't hear back.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Just heard from life. He's looking into it now.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Looks like Verizon sometimes pushes firmware updates to clients that use their routers, and sometimes it messes crap up.

The server is accessible again, and since it was actually up the whole time everything should be fine.
Skrump

Post by Skrump »

So, uh, is my whitelist app accepted?