BTW Pure Mods

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
The great randomo

Re: BTW Pure Mods

Post by The great randomo »

I think I'll be using the dynamic heights mod. It is compatible and looks quite good.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Ok, just checked both treecapitator and timber. They both seem to have a significant problem. They work on all logs, not only on generated ones but also on player placed ones.

Can anyone confirm this?

This is a huge problem that needs to be dealt with before I can even consider using either.
Timber Mod can deal with that, it has settings which enable you to use a key on which you temporarily disable the mod.
I think C is default. Press it and keep it pressed, and knock a bit of your log cabin down.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

zaikantos wrote:Well, guess I need to tone done your BOD configuration even more shengji.
Mining a coal+Iron chunk (found within 5 minutes of the world 10 metres from the surface in a cave) I've got 536 iron and 357 coal.
I'll be set with iron... for a loooong time.
Oh and I also found 3 stacks of lapis.

Still like it more than vanilla.

-
Awesome, found a skeleton dungeon 10 blocks away from my base. Infinite mossy and a crapload of iron - going to be a great game!
Now THAT's a lucky seed. It took me 10 hours to find iron and that was only after finding an abandoned mine shaft.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

It may well have been luck -

I generated 10 worlds with those settings and generated a grid of 10x10 chunks before using minecraft x-ray to log every mineral - that was a sample of 1000 chunks! I felt it was a fairly decent balance, however *DISCLAIMER* this was in a 1.7 world and he may have tweaked the BOD algorithm since then!

Wait until you've run out of iron and coal - and it will happen, trust me!!! Then see how easy it is to find the next seam (Or set out and search for the next one now) - that will give you a more realistic idea of how my settings are performing!

I'd love to hear your results as if the algorithm has been adjusted I will need to adjust my settings too!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Zaikantos

Post by Zaikantos »

Shengji wrote:It may well have been luck -

I generated 10 worlds with those settings and generated a grid of 10x10 chunks before using minecraft x-ray to log every mineral - that was a sample of 1000 chunks! I felt it was a fairly decent balance, however *DISCLAIMER* this was in a 1.7 world and he may have tweaked the BOD algorithm since then!

Wait until you've run out of iron and coal - and it will happen, trust me!!! Then see how easy it is to find the next seam (Or set out and search for the next one now) - that will give you a more realistic idea of how my settings are performing!

I'd love to hear your results as if the algorithm has been adjusted I will need to adjust my settings too!
I've already discovered two more chunks with iron in them - the problem is mainly that they spawn at any height. Surface checking caves makes it soo easy, so I'll change that in my next world. Redstone and diamond will be hard to find, like it should be.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Aha, cool - I've discovered he did adjust the algorithm too...

Groan... another thousand chunks to check to get my balancing right for my 1.0 world...

No time like the present!
Zaikantos

Post by Zaikantos »

Shengji wrote:Aha, cool - I've discovered he did adjust the algorithm too...

Groan... another thousand chunks to check to get my balancing right for my 1.0 world...

Bad things happen I guess.
Would changing my properties while staying in this same world have any major visible effects?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

It wouldn't change chunks that are already generated, but I'd imagine it'd affect new chunks. Good luck noticing the border, though, since the only thing different would be the ore distribution.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Zaikantos

Post by Zaikantos »

Katalliaan wrote:It wouldn't change chunks that are already generated, but I'd imagine it'd affect new chunks. Good luck noticing the border, though, since the only thing different would be the ore distribution.
I meant to ask if the surface would be affected, should've made that post less... strange.
If it doesn't thats good news, I'll probably cut off unused chunks once I get a good setup.
Thanks for the response.

edit;
The main reason I'm getting so much stuff is that 50% of all iron chunks are also coal chunks and contain caves.
Usually it goes;
See 1 block of iron/coal, large vein of said material is connected, connects to a vein of the other one etc
That can go on for a long time, the iron/coal numbers I said earlier were all found via 1 single block of iron on a wall of a cave.

Random unrelated pic;
Spoiler
Show
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Anyone else have problems with Nightmare Mode and Zombie Awareness? I can't seem to breed animals or get them to follow me :/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Gilberreke wrote:Anyone else have problems with Nightmare Mode and Zombie Awareness? I can't seem to breed animals or get them to follow me :/
Yeah. There's some bugs in one or the other which overwrites default passive mob behavior. They can also force themselves over fences trampling your crops, which is super annoying.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Zaikantos wrote:
Shengji wrote:Aha, cool - I've discovered he did adjust the algorithm too...

Bad things happen I guess.
Would changing my properties while staying in this same world have any major visible effects?
Ha, I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it - still, I'm three quarters of the way through a config file which seems to have worked just right so hopefully I'll have my latest config file to post up in a few hours.

Just so you understand - I'm balancing it so the number of minerals over the 1000 chunks will be within 0.1% of 1000 chunks vanilla while retaining cohesive veins which rarely but not often (1 in 20 or worse) will run into another vein.

I'm retaining the heights I like because quite frankly I don't want to spend the time balancing settings I don't want to run, but I am boosting the amount of redstone and diamond because even I get frustrated if I can't find diamond and I've generated several worlds where none of the diamond in the chunks I generated could have been found by spelunking - and the whole point is to get rid of strip mining! By bringing the amount of diamond back to vanilla, it is extremely unlikely none of the veins will hit a cave, and redstone becomes excessive again, but I think in redstone's case, it encourages experimentation - personally I enjoy having strict limits because it makes me have to come up with extremely efficient circuits, but again, I've done that for so long, I'll be nice just to use it without worry!
plaxor

Post by plaxor »

this mod fits good too i think nothing techy just adds some traps a baiting block pretty good for mob traps http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/740 ... d-hunting/
Nitestalker7

Post by Nitestalker7 »

plaxor wrote:this mod fits good too i think nothing techy just adds some traps a baiting block pretty good for mob traps http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/740 ... d-hunting/
Does this not require forge?....maybe I did not read the OP on the forums correctly but im pretty sure said mod requires the forge. + FC added a camo block in the last release. no need for all that extra crap. We already have enough to do in btw. just my 2c.
Flowerchild wrote:"Its like someone shot a cannon at a design document"
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/586 ... udes-mods/
The clay soil mod. I think it provides a simple way to get more clay, without being too OP. this would be useful for mass producing urns and other pottery.
Just a very small tweak.
Thoughts?

I like the look of wilderness, but it requires forge. :(
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Cynu

Post by Cynu »

-Deleted-
Last edited by Cynu on Wed May 21, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Oh my goodness, I used to use and love Seasons mod but it hasn't been updated since 1.7 - this looks even better as it rids a lot of the functions I didn't like - I think the only thing missing is long grass/ fern proliferation in spring and summer
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Very nice additions to the thread :)

Can you explain the effect SeasonCraftory has on your BTW playstyle, if any? If the seasons affect the way you enjoy the mod in a meaningful way, I feel like putting it in the OP
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

For me the different weather affected me most in the windmill phase - summer was a very unproductive time mechanically wise due to the windmill being (auto in those days) shut down.

Also I had Nature Overhauled installed so animals got fresh grass in spring and reproduced - this was obviously before wheat breeding.

Now, perhaps not so much though, it's mainly the windmill thing.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Shengji wrote:For me the different weather affected me most in the windmill phase - summer was a very unproductive time mechanically wise due to the windmill being (auto in those days) shut down.
Interesting. I might put it in the OP, but there doesn't seem to be enough emergent behavior to warrant the "spotlight". Compare to Somnia, which is just a utility mod, but really affects BTW in meaningful ways.

Maybe I need to make a list of "pure" mods and feature the emergent ones.

Anyone feel like compiling a list of all the mods that we discussed in this thread? (Even the utility ones)
Cynu

Post by Cynu »

-Deleted-
Last edited by Cynu on Wed May 21, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Cynu wrote:The mod isn't as much of a gameplay changer as it is an atmosphere mod. It continuously changes the grass colours, leaf colours, and weather so that you no longer have the same, dull environment without the need to relocate to a new biome. To me, it really increases the lifespan of my world because I don't get bored of it as easily.
Sure, this thread comes out of the idea that there mods that not only mix well, but preserve the BTW experience completely. Most of these are aesthetic mods, utility mods and vanilla changing mods. A select few, however, provide emergent gameplay, where the functionality of the mod positively affects BTW as a mod.

The poster-child mod here is Somnia. It's a very basic mod, but it's a god-send for technical mods, as it simulates the world, while you are asleep, giving extra incentive for automation.

SeasonCraftory comes very close to this, by providing advanced weather mechanics. Having two seasons that seriously detoriate the function of the windmill and one that affects water wheels, you are given a reason for extra base design, an extra use for the windmill, etc.

I think I'll add it to the OP after consideration. I really think that an advanced weather system adds to BTW as an experience :)

Also notice: if your springs freeze over in winter, this seriously affects HCB mode, sounds like a wonderful combo
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Just thought I'd add another potential "ambience" mod. MAtmos. I've seen it in LPs before and just recently realized it was this mod. HORRIBLY named. Add ambient sounds to Minecraft based on environment.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/379 ... simulator/