Welcome to Edolas [CLOSED]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
jorgebonafe

Re: Welcome to Edolas (Server information)

Post by jorgebonafe »

Can it be automated? Tell me, please, I must know
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Is it just me or have we new sounds for chests, doors etc.?
Mac

Post by Mac »

M!C wrote:Is it just me or have we new sounds for chests, doors etc.?
Nope, Mojang did change the sounds.
My Youtube channel.

M!C

Post by M!C »

Mac wrote:
M!C wrote:Is it just me or have we new sounds for chests, doors etc.?
Nope, Mojang did change the sounds.
Yeah, I of all people forgot to check twitter ...
Mac

Post by Mac »

Not that I want to complain about this to much,
but the Server has been a bit quiet these day's.
I really hope that activity will pick up again.
My Youtube channel.

M!C

Post by M!C »

Mac wrote:Not that I want to complain about this to much,
but the Server has been a bit quiet these day's.
I really hope that activity will pick up again.
We just had 6 people online! It was the first time for weeks though ...
Mac

Post by Mac »

I wrote that just before noticing you and your pals were on the server.
But working together on your project is quite interesting compared
to doing things all alone.
And playing with mobs enabled is really funny since I play without them
in ssp because of the endermen an their ability, but that's a different
story.
My Youtube channel.

darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I'm just glad that creepers don't destroy terrain! The minor destruction Endermen cause is pretty easy to fix, and I'm often filling in the random holes I find here and there.

And I thought the new sounds were only on the server, too... It wasn't until I was doing something in one of my single player worlds a bit later that I noticed the new sounds were there as well.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

So Minecraft has been updated once again, and although there is no new RC build for bukkit yet, I am thinking of how to handle things. So I was wondering what you guys would prefer.

Here are a few things that I was thinking off.
1) I want to keep the PEX (permissionsex)and Worldguard plugins, as they are awesome to help structure the permissions for plugins and securing/fixing the world.

2) I want to add the Multiverse plugin, so we can start a fully fresh new world and still keep the old one.

3) Rethink the currently used plugins (start fresh). The iConomy was fun, but not really practical in the small community of Edolas.

With the use of the World Edit (part of world guard), I can copy parts of the world (buildings) and paste them in the new world if requested. I would not mind doing so for certain awesome builds or ongoing constructions.

What I would prefer for the majority though, is to start fresh. And I think a good way to do so would be to "break down your old buildings to get the resources back". Now I don't actually want you to break down your buildings. :) What I was thinking off, was going to your chosen build area in the new world, and plunk down a few chests filled with building goodies. These would be filled in agreement with yourself, where you get to choose how much you want of what based on your resources/buildings you had before.

First of all though, I will need the bukkit RC build and Multiverse updated (not checked yet if they are at this point of time). With that I can start up the server in the new version and add the new world whilst keeping the old and move things along. :)

Let me know what you all think or would prefer. :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Well, I'd like if possible to keep my tree house and the chests inside. Its on 227,-950. Is that possible?

All the rest is ok with me. For the plugins, I guess dropchest is a safe bet...
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I need to think about this, but I'm leaning towards: just a double chests of stone bricks

Mining and smelting stone was about 90% of my activity on Edolas, so it'd be nice to get those resources with me. Do I actually have to start tearing down bricks and filling those chests or could we reach an agreement where based on my huge sky castle, we can all agree that I deserve to take just that?

Either one works for me, but one saves me time ;)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just out of curiosity: why start a new world at all? Last I checked, we had hardly pushed the map boundaries out very far at all, and it seems a shame to be moving activity out to a new world considering how much work players have put into this one.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Just out of curiosity: why start a new world at all? Last I checked, we had hardly pushed the map boundaries out very far at all, and it seems a shame to be moving activity out to a new world considering how much work players have put into this one.
Isn't there a problem with the boundaries of newly generated biomes?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:Just out of curiosity: why start a new world at all? Last I checked, we had hardly pushed the map boundaries out very far at all, and it seems a shame to be moving activity out to a new world considering how much work players have put into this one.
The server is in a bit of a rut right now, I think it's a great time to start anew. Perhaps we could also discuss how we want the new spawn point to look? The current village was a great idea, but ultimately proved to be underused as people moved out. I propose we brainstorm a pure utility spawn, with stations and rail support from the start, more room for shops, etc. Perhaps a discussion about what to do with the nether would also be fun, seeing as right now, it just acts as a resource gathering place.

Also, how does the End, Stronghold, Nether stronghold, etc, all figure into SMP? We might need to talk about turning these into community areas, as I feel no one should tamper with blocks of these structures, to make everyone's experience as good as possible
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Isn't there a problem with the boundaries of newly generated biomes?
A visible seam maybe, but that seems a small price to pay.

I dunno man. I think persistence is rather important in a server, and while I understand that people's work is going to be preserved in a separate world that you can travel to, that seems rather pointless if that world becomes a ghost-town.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Well, FF, if you are going to add world edit, its probably easy to fix the boundaries problem if necessary
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: The server is in a bit of a rut right now, I think it's a great time to start anew.
I don't think that would necessarily help with a rut. Personally, I doubt I will log back on if this change occurs.

Considering I've been playing with the same world in SP since I started playing Minecraft, I think you will get an impression of how important persistence is to me (and I think there are very likely players that feel the same way).

If I'm not returning to the world that I contributed to, why would I return at all?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote: If I'm not returning to the world that I contributed to, why would I return at all?
In order to start off on the ground floor with a wonderful person like me? Part of the reason I never got too far in Edolas is because I felt like I was intruding almost, silly as it sounds. Starting from the beginning would remove that feeling a little, for me at least.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:I don't think that would necessarily help with a rut. Personally, I doubt I will log back on if this change occurs.

Considering I've been playing with the same world in SP since I started playing Minecraft, I think you will get an impression of how important persistence is to me (and I think there are very likely players that feel the same way).

If I'm not returning to the world that I contributed to, why would I return at all?
Hmm, me on the other hand, I don't see me playing on a 1.8 generated world, so if I come back after the update, first business would be to abandon my current base and just head out into newly generated chunks to start a new one. We need to find some common ground where everyone gets the best experience I guess
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I'm not so much attached to the world as I am to the things that have been made in it. Moving them over would be my choice, although many of them are dependent on the terrain around them, such as the town at spawn.

I wouldn't mind a changeup of the plugins though, depending on what you're wanting the server to be.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Haven't played on Edolas for a while, but i'd rather start a brand new world, and not give anything to anyone. A real and true fresh start. I was disapointed at the begining of Edolas, where the city was already built and almost finished.
Wanted to start, for real, with others.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

That something I agree with. To be able to actually build the spawn town, without free items. Just as a colaborative effort, everyone helping gathering materials, planning the structures and building it legit. That would be pretty fun, IMO. I think I'd be even willing to let go of my items and my house if this happened
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

Though I would hate to give up the two skeleton spawners in my basement, it might be worth it to do a completely legit fresh start. I've never really had the experience of doing something like that legit in multiplayer, and if nothing else it would be an interesting way to try things, even if we could access the other world via multiverse.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fair enough. If I'm the only one that isn't keen on a fresh start, I certainly won't hold you guys back :)
Mac

Post by Mac »

I'm intrigued with with the fresh start option.
But there's one thing I would like to know,
does multiverse mean that one world runs on 1.8 and the other on 1.0
or do both run on the same game version namely 1.0.
On the other hand having the current world potentially becoming something
like a showcase would be kinda sad by the way.
Flowerchild wrote:Considering I've been playing with the same world in SP since I started playing Minecraft, I think you will get an impression of how important persistence is to me (and I think there are very likely players that feel the same way).

I know that sentiment exactly.
Last edited by Mac on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Youtube channel.