Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by FlowerChild »

bmanfoley wrote:I don't really see that as being too useful. First of all, smite isn't the most useful enchantment to get. Looting seems a bit better to me. And if I remember correctly, don't villagers drop a little more XP?
Yeah, smite is crap. I think people confuse it with sharpness though, because of the ambiguous name. Sharpness is the one you really want for weapons.

I don't see farming based on zombie-conversion really being good for any kind of farming application in either vanilla or the mod. Zombies are trivial to farm to begin with, and don't really offer any resource of value.

Don't get me wrong though. I think the potential for zombie conversion is very cool. I really do hope they keep expanding on the siege concept.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Really? I find having a smite sword for the nether quite useful, especially after declaring war on pigmen. Better than wasting my super weapons at least. I suppose I would end up with more smites scrolls than I need though, with nethergrowth in place, I won't be fighting too many pigmen unless I decide to explore. Still there's always the boost in iron and glue production... but yeah, i suppose villager exp and looting is still far more useful.

Ah well, I'll probably still build it just for the fun of it.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Tahg posted this today on his twitter... https://twitter.com/Tahgtahv/status/230343513143918592
I am no longer working on Minecraft. Anyone looking for a Java software developer? Send me a reply and we can get in touch
-edit- For those that don't know who he is, He was one of the main Bukkit developers and part of the Mod API team.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Some more on what destineternal posted, for those interested in the development reason behind the departure:

http://pastebin.com/GCjUBUUA
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Interesting ... I wish he could say more, as I'm sure it's something pretty important for the future of the game.
What he wanted, and what Mojang answered.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

in other news

awwww, whosa cute likkle brain eater? ^_^

I plan on keeping one as a pet :P
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Calcifire3691 wrote:in other news

awwww, whosa cute likkle brain eater? ^_^
-snip-
I plan on keeping one as a pet :P
And because they are undead, they won´t grow into adult zombies!
edit: snipped the pic
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Daaaaaaaaaaaw. The wee one looks grumpy. Maybe he needs a hapless villager to snack on? :)
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Wait... is that picture serious? Like from a Mojang worker? I never thought I'd have to deal with baby zombies.
The spice must flow...

Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Ribky wrote:Wait... is that picture serious? Like from a Mojang worker? I never thought I'd have to deal with baby zombies.
yep, from dinnerbone, apparently they're nearly as fast as a sprinting player, don't age, and don't burn in sunlight

aren't they just precious? :D
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Calcifire3691 wrote: yep, from dinnerbone, apparently they're nearly as fast as a sprinting player, don't age, and don't burn in sunlight

aren't they just precious? :D
What? No! No they aren't. They're disgusting! And I have people farms in my world man, people farms. One of those little craps gets into my people farms and no more steady soylent green shower for me.
The spice must flow...

The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Ribky wrote:Wait... is that picture serious? Like from a Mojang worker? I never thought I'd have to deal with baby zombies.
Yes well that's what everyone thinks. Then an accident happens and nine months later: BAM, Baby zombie!
Quickly followed by: BAM, Placenta!
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

OH god this has "FC vs the forge" written all over it. It looks like the crap people have run off the lone sane one again.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

So, looked at the 1.3.1 changelog, and looks like TNT no longer does damage in peaceful. Not sure what implications that has, but they really pulled that one out of nowhere.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Urian

Post by Urian »

It's tied into the way tnt and creepers do more damage on higher difficulties and less on lower ones. Can't say I foresee any issues with it not damaging the player on peaceful and the added danger on hard makes it an interesting (as in good) change IMO.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Looks like they're tweaking in a full scale change to the ability of the mobs to use equipment, particularly armor. That's kind of scary but in a good way. Should make the vanilla survival game a bit more challenging.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

I hope the armor is functional. Dinnerbone mentioned making zombies wear a rare item if they were going to drop it, but it'll be awesome if you have to kill a tougher zombie to get at its loot.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

Looks like things are still moving along with the Mod API: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/139 ... al-system/
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Am i the only one who is afraid the Zombie Armor will break the fall-based mob traps?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Itamarcu wrote:Am i the only one who is afraid the Zombie Armor will break the fall-based mob traps?
Well, when Steve is wearing armor, it doesn't give any extra protection against fall damage (unless you have feather-fall obviously), so if they use the same system, it shouldn't matter. If it just effectively gives the zombie more health, then that could be a problem, but I have a saw at the end of my drop trap to pick off survivors anyway.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Battosay wrote:Interesting ... I wish he could say more, as I'm sure it's something pretty important for the future of the game.
Yes, I wish he could say more too. Sounds like there could be a chance we would agree with him.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Urian wrote:It's tied into the way tnt and creepers do more damage on higher difficulties and less on lower ones. Can't say I foresee any issues with it not damaging the player on peaceful and the added danger on hard makes it an interesting (as in good) change IMO.
I can think of plenty of adventure maps I've played that were supposed to be played on Peaceful that also used TNT as a method to hurt/kill the player.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Battosay wrote:Interesting ... I wish he could say more, as I'm sure it's something pretty important for the future of the game.
I remember watching a Direwolf video where he was also talking. I am not 100% sure how the conversation went and I didn't know what part of Mojang did he work with at the time, but it amounted to modders wanting some functionality or fixing or something from the base game, and Vaht had talked to them trying to get them to implement/fix or whatever it was, and they had basically said they didn't care about modders. I remember him being pretty pissed off about this, him being a lot into the modding scene and all.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

I regularly follow this thread, but I somehow didn't see the return of beaches in the discussion. I'm really digging the more natural transition to water. I didn't even realize how much I had missed them until now.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

embirrim wrote: I remember watching a Direwolf video where he was also talking. I am not 100% sure how the conversation went and I didn't know what part of Mojang did he work with at the time, but it amounted to modders wanting some functionality or fixing or something from the base game, and Vaht had talked to them trying to get them to implement/fix or whatever it was, and they had basically said they didn't care about modders. I remember him being pretty pissed off about this, him being a lot into the modding scene and all.
I dunno man. That sounds pretty odd considering the whole mod API thing, and both the time and money Mojang are investing in it.

Perhaps it was more in the context of wanting to get 1.3 done before tackling those things? I'm sure there are a lot of people besides myself waiting on both extended blockIDs and texture indices, but I can understand them wanting to get the SMP refactor out of the way first. My only objection is that Jeb probably shouldn't have said they were coming so long ago, as it really threw a monkey-wrench into the modding scene to have been expecting it for so long now.