New Release! (BTW V3.30)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Dreadwraith

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.30)

Post by Dreadwraith »

Great additions. Now if only I could find some wolves...
Urian

Post by Urian »

Dreadwraith wrote:Great additions. Now if only I could find some wolves...
Remember that they don't despawn anymore unless they're aggressive so if you find any but haven't got any bones you can just dig a two block deep hole and push them down there for storage until you can tame them :) Be sure to remember where you stash them though.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Urian wrote:
Remember that they don't despawn anymore unless they're aggressive so if you find any but haven't got any bones you can just dig a two block deep hole and push them down there for storage until you can tame them :) Be sure to remember where you stash them though.
That's where phallic statues come in handy! :D
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote: -Place the vine traps on the same level as the rest of your floor (they will appear to be sunken into the floor slightly if you do that), and only above the pits themselves.
I have to admit, when you first mentioned these in the suggestions forum; I was imagining it almost exactly like this, but with the vines being in the top part of the block - kinda like a panel attached to a ceiling. There current look feels...just a little counter-intuitive imo. Looks great as is (bar the colour :p) but as opposed to hiding a hole, it still looks like a hole. Just a hole which makes a nice sound when you fall through it.

So yeah, I spent the better part of today trying to decide whether they were better placed over the hole, or just sunk into the hole a little :/
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Stormweaver wrote:[...] There current look feels...just a little counter-intuitive imo. Looks great as is (bar the colour :p) but as opposed to hiding a hole, it still looks like a hole. Just a hole which makes a nice sound when you fall through it. [...]
This was my first thought as well when I tried them out. They seem to be doing their job just fine but from an aesthetic, and part immersive perspective I think it would be better to have them at the upper part of the block.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: I have to admit, when you first mentioned these in the suggestions forum; I was imagining it almost exactly like this, but with the vines being in the top part of the block - kinda like a panel attached to a ceiling. There current look feels...just a little counter-intuitive imo. Looks great as is (bar the colour :p) but as opposed to hiding a hole, it still looks like a hole. Just a hole which makes a nice sound when you fall through it.

So yeah, I spent the better part of today trying to decide whether they were better placed over the hole, or just sunk into the hole a little :/
My first implementation of them was actually exactly as you describe, and after much consideration, I opted for the approach currently in there.

With the way they are If you want to cover a hole with them completely, you can also place them overlapping the edges, which makes for an interesting looking pit-trap. The downside to that approach being that you need at least a 3-high ceiling to make it effective.

There are really no blocks in Minecraft (with the exception of siding in certain configurations) that occupies the top of a block like that, and certainly none that doesn't possess multiple orientations. Frankly, it felt very weird. You'd place it on the ground, and it would be suspended in mid air.

I also feel they're much more flexible in their current implementation in that they can be used as a form of crude carpet over solid blocks, opening up aesthetic possibilities that I just don't find were there as a ceiling covering. Vines themselves can also already exist on ceilings, but not floors, providing a little more utility in this configuration as it fills that functionality gap.

So yeah man, as I said, I actually had it fully working that way and finally decided to change it for multiple reasons. It's no surprise that you first thought I was going to do it that way, because it was my intention as well. In practice though, it just didn't work out as well as I had hoped.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:So yeah man, as I said, I actually had it fully working that way and finally decided to change it for multiple reasons. It's no surprise that you first thought I was going to do it that way, because it was my intention as well. In practice though, it just didn't work out as well as I had hoped.
Yeah, that all sounds reasonable. My slight disappointment was quickly replaced by me throwing a load of these on the ceiling of the part of the caves I'm testing the...terraforming process on, and I'm happy with the results. It actually kinda looks like I have a canopy above my head now, as opposed to a solid ceiling of leaves ^.^

The latest releases of BTW have been oddly aesthetic. You feeling ok flower? :p
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: The latest releases of BTW have been oddly aesthetic. You feeling ok flower? :p
Hehe...yeah, I'm doing fine :)

I just really don't pigeon-hole the functionality of the mod. If I think it would be cool in the game, it tends to go in, regardless of whether it is something I normally do or not.

I just hate really aesthetic feature requests, not aesthetic features ;)
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: The latest releases of BTW have been oddly aesthetic. You feeling ok flower? :p
Hehe...yeah, I'm doing fine :)

I just really don't pigeon-hole the functionality of the mod. If I think it would be cool in the game, it tends to go in, regardless of whether it is something I normally do or not.

I just hate really aesthetic feature requests, not aesthetic features ;)
It is actually really interesting as you can use them quite well with half blocks in this form too.
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

If you don't mind starting out a new world, the simple seed minecraft starts you out with a lot of wolves. And when I say a lot, I mean by walking around the spawn for 5 mins you can get 30 wolves. Not exageratting.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

embirrim wrote:
If you don't mind starting out a new world, the simple seed minecraft starts you out with a lot of wolves. And when I say a lot, I mean by walking around the spawn for 5 mins you can get 30 wolves. Not exageratting.
I wanted to reply to this with "but what's the point if you reduce your animal limit" which led me look up the info on the wiki.

Having a "dog pound" used to eat into the passive mob cap, meaning that about 4-5 was a good amount in relation to having enough mob capacity available for animal grinders. Now that animal spawning is reduced severely in favour of breeding, this cap can effectively be ignored after you have an initial breeding group of a specific animal.

Yet, what happens if you have say 16 animals in your first couple of chunks, will you never encounter any animals anymore while exploring? Since the spawning algorithm always bails out there. Mob spawning is 1/20 ticks for hostiles and 1/400 ticks for passives yet passives can never spawn in desert & water biomes.

If the chunks and the animals it contains are linked, is the mob spawning info still correct?

Again, this is all according to the wiki but it does make an interesting point regarding shooting yourself in the foot from the getgo.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I had well over 200 animals between my dung farm and general breeding pens and animals still spawned normally in newly generated chunks including one massive herd of about 20 pigs accompanied by 5 chickens and 6 sheep. I think it's open season on using mobs to make your processors cry.
Better is the enemy of Good
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Battosay wrote:This one was really fun to make :)

Please don't comment on the last 30 sec :D
Stop trying to make Pigman zombie babies!!!! :P
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
ct08857

Post by ct08857 »

another great release fc
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

Unsitickied? does this mean...?
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

That is the general pattern ;)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Zaikantos

Post by Zaikantos »

Blueblade11 wrote:Unsitickied? does this mean...?
I thought the same as you.
FlyingGarlic

Post by FlyingGarlic »

I know it just came out (even though there is already a newer version available)
but can anyone point me toward or else explain how the new breeding harness works?

Does it JUST immobilize an animal?
Ignoring the animal cruelty issues, does the harness aid in transporting an animal?
Does BTW allow for any way to transport an animal beyond letting it follow you holding wheat, which isn't practical for any significant distance.

I know there is a mod out there called Animal Transport.
It isn't listed on the BTW compatibility page.
Do any of you have any experience using it with BTW?

Because of some save corruption issues, I believe, I am now needing to transport animals back to my base because there aren't any near by, especially cows for some reason.

Thanks!
FlyingGarlic

Post by FlyingGarlic »

eek!

after a bunch of trial and error it appears to me that animal transport and btw are not compatible with each other.

So please let me know if i am overlooking some other way of finding animals far away from my base and moving them to my base. thanks.
I guess in the meantime I just have to make an animal farm wherever I can find some animals!
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

FlyingGarlic wrote:eek!

after a bunch of trial and error it appears to me that animal transport and btw are not compatible with each other.

So please let me know if i am overlooking some other way of finding animals far away from my base and moving them to my base. thanks.
I guess in the meantime I just have to make an animal farm wherever I can find some animals!
-Have them follow you with Wheat.
-Minecart system.
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

How often can wolves eat?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm on a crapy connection right now, and instead of reading all 6 pages I rather just ask...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

jorgebonafe wrote:How often can wolves eat?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm on a crapy connection right now, and instead of reading all 6 pages I rather just ask...
As often as they drop a load.
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Phantum wrote:
jorgebonafe wrote:How often can wolves eat?

As often as they drop a load.
Oh, I see... Ok, thats useful for automation..
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.