"Anniversary Update" Speculation

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
The Phoenixian

Re: "Anniversary Update" Speculation

Post by The Phoenixian »

So a sudden thought on what the anniversary update might be. Specifically, an incredibly crazy one.

Item one: The mod is about to face several thousand new free block IDs to grow into. This allows for a fair amount of frivolity.
Item two: The mod's balance is being increasingly threatened. Not just by new blocks added but also in modifications and problems from existing blocks.

Questions? Can a recipe for one block be supplanted by another and exactly how many functional blocks are there in minecraft again?

Could Flowerchild solve his problems by overwriting recipes for old blocks with new ones that function /almost/ exactly the same?

No chance it's real but, the idea was just so "out there" I had to share.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Oh that's certainly possible to do. But that's stepping into total conversion territory which FC said he's not going to do because he doesn't want to screw up people's existing worlds.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Well, FC dropped us a few little hints today in Morvelaira's news thread. Namely:

* in his teaser video, he definitely was waving goodbye (but not to what, specifically)
* whatever the thing does, it definitely won't permanently separate you from your established creation

My bets are increasingly moving towards a new dimension, although I really like the idea of some kind of spreading corruption that we have to contain while harnessing its power.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And there's still a third hint out there that no one has spotted yet ;)
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

And thus, the search began...
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

FlowerChild wrote:And there's still a third hint out there that no one has spotted yet ;)
Renaissance? Are you adding some Da Vinci-esc contraptions? Or was this just a reference to revitalising our MC experience?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

gftweek wrote:Renaissance? Are you adding some Da Vinci-esc contraptions? Or was this just a reference to revitalising our MC experience?
Thats something I never thought about that before. That would be really awesome!
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

If I read correctly there will be 30 new block IDs? I never got to see the video on this but I've done some browsing. Honestly, I don't know if I'd want Minecraft to be necessarily more dangerous, but at least more challenging. Say... a dimension with one single difference that would change the way Minecraft works to its very core: gravity working on all blocks, not just sand. That would be a pretty serious dynamic to code in, but imagine the implications.

That being said, I haven't a clue what the update might actually be, but I'm still looking forward to it.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

So how long has the MCF OP called the steel and above age "[*** A New Age Dawns: The Return To Home ***]"?
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

The Phoenixian wrote:So how long has the MCF OP called the steel and above age "[*** A New Age Dawns: The Return To Home ***]"?
Oho! Never noticed that. So, what can we consider as steve's home then?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

BinoAl wrote:
The Phoenixian wrote:So how long has the MCF OP called the steel and above age "[*** A New Age Dawns: The Return To Home ***]"?
This is making me think of a Karma thing, where Steve has to redeem himself from his spirit-prison world (vMC), and reincarnate himself in the real world. The new dimension thing allows FC to play with code he has never looked at before (terrain gen), and change the rules to make life more interesting and difficult. Plus it explains why Steve is so different from the Testificates if he is the alien/demon.
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

Home is where the heart is. So all of this time coding has been devoted to giving Steve internal organs? If so, I can't wait to kill him a lot. I have a lovely cliff near my workshop with an excellent view of a graveyard. Well, not a graveyard yet but there's still time.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I get it... Seeing how much FC is a pinhead fan, the portal looking thing in his video is actually Steve's attempt of building Lemarchand's box. And we know where that will take Steve...

Home?.....

I guess Steve really is the villain of the game.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...got to say, I love people starting to question "why is this world we're in so fucked up?" from an in-game perspective, rather than an out of game "why do they keep wrecking the game?" one :)

"When life hands you lemons..." applies to game-design too ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...got to say, I love people starting to question "why is this world we're in so fucked up?" from an in-game perspective, rather than an out of game "why do they keep wrecking the game?" one :)

"When life hands you lemons..." applies to game-design too ;)
Well played, my dear, well played. Not sure why folks didn't think of this before, since it's been brought up in the past - and there's even been recent discussion of such...
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Alright, here's a longtime forum lurker and member of the MCforums. I'm dropping in to post my best guess about the anniversary update.

FC has mentioned that changes will be made in such a way that the transition between BTW and BTB will be made more subtle as the BTW tech tree grows. Now, I don't know about where steve comes from, but you have to be extremely sophisticated to create circuitry-far beyond the steel age. This indicates that BTW is going to explode upward into the new era, into a new type of technology we've never seen before.

My personal take on 'the return home' (based on the above) is that it is philisophical, not an actual physical journey. Steve has been stranded in a far distant world, perhaps it is the ruins of his old, or perhaps he has been exiled. Slowly, he elevates himself into an advanced, industrial civilization. It is the return to a place he can call home.
tedium

Post by tedium »

i think my biggest hope is for a new dimension is similar to "The Hall of the Worlds" from Raymond E Feist's books. For those unfamiliar, it would be a dimension that was mostly empty, however you can bring in resources and build a base there in a 'skyblock' sort of way. the real beauty though comes from the distance you can travel. much like how travelling small distances in the nether represents large distances in the overworld, in this new dimension, you could step in, walk 10 blocks to another portal, and have traveled 1000 blocks in the overworld. speed travel, without nether annoyance.

but i highly doubt this is the plan :)
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

You know what would be truely hillarious. You go through all the trouble to build this portal thing. You step through. You enter the new dimension and... It looks EXACTLY the same as your old world... and yet it's not.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

:O

He's finally done it. Steve is coming out of the computer and into the world to create hell on earth!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Lemons huh? :D

Keep in mind that Steve's actual opponnent is the Enderdragon, if the End is the dragon's homerealm and Steve is currently 'trapped' in the "spirit" realm where the Nether & the supposed "skyblockrealm" are parts of that realm.

Following this logic Steve would have a sort of "beginning" realm which might link the journey home reference and give FC some more freedom yet retains the efforts of the player.

Liken the steelblock ring with the Enderportal getup, it's not exactly the same but it's in the same vein. Yet the fact that he's waving goodbye could either mean that he's not coming back OR that he can return there (vague hint :p).

Or i'm just ranting incoherently...
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Mr_Hosed wrote:You know what would be truely hillarious. You go through all the trouble to build this portal thing. You step through. You enter the new dimension and... It looks EXACTLY the same as your old world... and yet it's not.
That is one of my best guesses so far.

That the new dimension actually copies your old world, but adds all the new rules and stuff Fc wanted to have, and not only that but he can do whatever he likes with it since it is his own dimension.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

All I can really say is this: If there's a Starter Dragon to counter the Ender Dragon, I'm gonna shit my armor.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Punnikin wrote:All I can really say is this: If there's a Starter Dragon to counter the Ender Dragon, I'm gonna shit my armor.
This ain't pokemon kid :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

This ain't pokemon kid :)
If only I were a kid again. :P

If this was Pokemon, I'd have never started playing. Funny thing is, I had heard of BTW quite a while ago but never gave it a look. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the name of the mod is "Fuck that. I hate wolves."

Glad to see I was wrong, but I wish I had picked up on my misconception earlier. I've missed out on a lot of fun. Now, even in my state of almost total ignorance I find myself looking forward to this update. More stuff to blow up when I forget to turn things off is gonna be great.