Future Timeline

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Zhil

Re: Future Timeline

Post by Zhil »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I'm conscious because of brain activity. Before that I'm not. I don't exist and neither does anything for me. Without any form of perception you and the entire universe simply isn't there.

EDIT: Let me make myself clear, I'm not arguing you are wrong and I am right. I am saying that this is my point of view on this matter. I'm just classifying anything beyond biology and chemistry as by-products of those two factors.
It's all circular logic man. That's what I'm saying. Your argument IS false, because circular logic is an invalid logic device.

Brain activity assumes that you exist in a world where neurons exist. Since that world relies on the very thing you attempt to prove, it's circular and not valid. You can't prove the existence of your consciousness by pointing at anything you learned through perception, it's a simple truth.

To make it more clear, your argument:

I exist => I see a reality => The reality has neurons => The neurons explain my existence

Hence, circular and invalid logic. You could prove anything that way.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Why do I need to prove the existence of my consciousness when by definition me being able to type right now requires that consciousness.

It's like asking someone to verbally prove to you he is breathing. By definition if he is able to answer at all, he is breathing.

I think we have very different ideas of what consciousness is. I define consciousness as the result of sensory perception filtered through brain processing. Thus by definition your argument is illogical to me.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Why do I need to prove the existence of my consciousness when by definition me being able to type right now requires that consciousness.

It's like asking someone to verbally prove to you he is breathing. By definition if he is able to answer at all, he is breathing.

I think we have very different ideas of what consciousness is. I define consciousness as the result of sensory perception filtered through brain processing. Thus by definition your argument is illogical to me.
My computer can type and talk it is neither Breathing or conscious.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I think we have very different ideas of what consciousness is.
Yeah, that's it. There's a difference between consciousness and perceived consciousness and we are tripping over that difference really :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

BigShinyToys wrote: My computer can type and talk it is neither Breathing or conscious.
Well, technically speaking, it requires airflow to not overheat, and could very well be conscious, assuming the chemistry behind consciousness isn't limited to carbon based life :p
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Skynet.jpg :P

Also, your computer can NOT type neither talk. Get your facts straight :P
War..
War never changes.

Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Quite and interesting read, but some of the stuff is just ... lets say I hope it never happens, because I don't want to be sitting next to machinery that is powered through induction from the center of the room.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Shengji wrote:It most absolutely is! I've rarely seen such a constructive thread on any topic, let alone one along these lines. When Flowerchild see's how the thread went in his absence I think he'll be quite proud that his little community contains such a high proportion of intelligence and maturity :)

Ok, so back on topic, I'd like to explain why I feel personality is more of a function of the soul than the chemistry of the brain. In doing so, I'll have to go back 3 years or so to a time when my beliefs were very similar to MoRmEnGiL's***

***Please don't think I'm getting on my high horse and saying "I used to believe what you did but then I grew up", if anything I feel like "I used to hold independent views based on my love and passion for science then I turned into the type of person who I used to be see so clearly as wrong! What I'm trying to say is that I'm not dismissing MoRmEnGiL's point of view because I have moved on from it, in fact the opposite is true!

So anyway, three years ago or thereabouts I fell pregnant and this triggered the biggest change in beliefs that I've ever had in my life! To put it in perspective, my first degree was in theoretical physics and my second in biomedical science - I'm a scientist through and through! I was fully aware at how much change happens in the brain of a foetus from the start of it's development to the neonatal stages and even then from neonate (first week after birth) through to 1 years old, the brain changes at an astonishing rate - unrecognisable from day to day! However, from the first time I felt him move to this very day, his personality has remained consistent! How can his personality be affected by the neural network and chemistry of his brain if it can change so much and yet not affect his personality?

So I became a firm believer in a soul, although I still cannot for the life of me pin down what one really is, this is where the preformed beliefs come in I suppose. So looking at how we can solve the death problem, I said that we would need to maintain the same material that the brain is created from because quite frankly as we don't properly understand how the brain does everything it does, it would seem to be an error to believe that they can just be replaced with a completely different way of forming a neural network and expect it to work properly - Perhaps one day we will understand every possible reason why the cells that make up the brain need to be exactly how they are and then we could engineer a synthetic solution, but I put forward the theory that part of that understanding will involve a scientific understanding of the soul and the way it binds to our brains.

So to me the obvious way to attempt immortality is to trick the body into growing fresh brain cells (and of course every other cell in the body) using technology to manipulate stem cells. I do think that by encouraging the brain to do things it was not designed to do like this kind of rapid regeneration will lead to unforeseen problems and I whole heartedly believe that should such advancements become commonly available, outside of the trial and error that will occur with potentially horrendous results, people regenerating themselves in this fashion, certainly in the early times of doing this will change after their first treatment.

I think we will get to the point where people can live forever and it will likely be a good combination of cybernetics, stem cell tech and nano tech. I think by doing so we will learn a lot about the soul and potentially create an entirely new branch of science and another new frontier to explore. Certainly exciting times, however I maintain my belief that we need to keep the birth rate up no matter what is happening with the death rate in order to maintain humanities ability to adjust to a changing universe.

I'm with you, I'd love to see every mystery that the universe has to offer, but then, as others have pointed out - we can't make assumptions on what happens after death because at the moment we have no way of conducting any scientific research on the subject. I think one day we will be able to but until then to assume that death precludes you from experiencing any more is a theory which may not be correct!

EDIT: And just to conclude, I'd like to say that I really don't see a problem with making assumptions, holding preformed beliefs and having a religious point of view, especially if they are a comfort of bring some other positivity into your life - anything to help in this crazy world! However that comes with the caveat that one is prepared to abandon those views should a better theory or view come along.
Just to get my last word in, after being *hum* busy *hum* with my girlfriend most of the weekend.

I think, actually, that your point above, about your son's personality not really changing despite the astounding changes in his brain, proves that the soul is not bound to any particular part of the brain. Thus any part of it could theoretically be replaced by a synthetic equivalent, as long as that equivalent matches the requirements for the soul to continue. And I don't think we're anywhere close to understanding the brain well enough for this. Though we might be closer than you think - the rate of change in science and technology will probably only increase going forward. There is also an easy experiment (if we can get computers fast enough) to test if "any old neural network" simulating a human brain can develop a personality. Build one. ;) And yes, it will always be possible to say "the AI might act human, but it has no soul", but who are we to judge the existence of the soul in question? After all, we have no evidence one way or another that souls even exist in the first place.

Certainly exiting times! I agree that "new blood" will always be needed, even though we can get around the tendency for human brains to stagnate with age. I guess we'll just have to spread out among the stars to find space for us all. Oh, bother... ;)
Lots of planets have a north...!
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Dibs on Aldebaran.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I call dibs on Alpha Centauri. :]
War..
War never changes.

walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I call dibs on Alpha Centauri. :]
Take me with you....
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:I call dibs on Alpha Centauri. :]
Take me with you....
Well, there's room for 14 of us and I got dibs on chief security officer who ends up running a totalitarian regime who live underground ;)
Elensaar wrote:Thus any part of it could theoretically be replaced by a synthetic equivalent, as long as that equivalent matches the requirements for the soul to continue
What would be the difference if you manufactured said synthetic brain outside of my body, leaving my brain where it is and intact? I can't quite put my finger on it, but something would have to be transferred, not just copied before that brain becomes me or I become it... Do you see what I mean?

You could put it in my head, wire it to my CNS and my senses, but I just don't see how I would leave the brain I am currently in. And if you did it bit by bit I just can't shake the feeling that nothing would change - whatever the soul is would stay with the bits cut out!
MoRmEnGiL wrote:You believe what you believe and you wrote what you wrote because your brain performed a very specific chain of reactions. If a few of them were different you could easily have had polar opposite views, or chosen not to reply at all. In other words, even your changed beliefs are a result of biochemistry, and of the most potent kind in nature, one influenced by parenthood! :] There is nothing that can change a human more profoundly than his own offspring :]
Yes I most certainly agree that parenthood changes you profoundly - I mean there is a tonne of evidence which shows both parents massively regress in their cognitive abilities - start using simpler thought patterns, speech becomes basic and social interactions become very immature (so don't complain next time new parents seem to only be able to go on about babies, they can't help it - you're basically talking to a toddler in an adults body!) and sensitivity to danger becomes massively heightened that kind of thing, but the scientist in me still reaches for evidence and I have found studies which have had positive peer feedback which attempt to look at the personalities of children from as young as possible (one tried before birth) and from what they have discovered so far, children are born with personalities which do not change unless something causes them psychological damage - their personalities develop greatly but a brave baby is likely to be brave as an adult, a talkative baby is likely to be sociable as an adult etc etc - it's a lot more in depth than that but the gist I've given here is good enough :)
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Shengji wrote:What would be the difference if you manufactured said synthetic brain outside of my body, leaving my brain where it is and intact? I can't quite put my finger on it, but something would have to be transferred, not just copied before that brain becomes me or I become it... Do you see what I mean?
Ah yes, the continuity problem. I am unconvinced on the soul aspect, as I see it both the synthetic brain and your own would have the same thoughts and feelings and would both be "you", at least in the short term before different experiences made them diverge. The problem is that you (the original you in your own body) doesn't experience through both brains at once, so you have effectively been cloned, not transferred. The only way it would work is to have portions of your brain replaced at a time, so there is no loss of continuity to your experience. If you brain was cloned while you were asleep and your original brain destroyed, what woke up would still be you, but not the original that started life in this universe, it will always be a copy even if it's perfect.

I don't see this as a problem though, as curing dementia by allowing the brain to replace lost neurons and form connections at the same rate as when you are young will be developed long before synthetic brains, so there would be little need to replace parts of the brain unless they were damaged.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Shengji wrote:
Elensaar wrote:Thus any part of it could theoretically be replaced by a synthetic equivalent, as long as that equivalent matches the requirements for the soul to continue
What would be the difference if you manufactured said synthetic brain outside of my body, leaving my brain where it is and intact? I can't quite put my finger on it, but something would have to be transferred, not just copied before that brain becomes me or I become it... Do you see what I mean?
This is where our interpretation of this differs, I guess. I just think it's logical that if the soul isn't bound to any specific part of the brain, and the fact that children's personalities don't change with the developing brain seems to confirm that, than I think it would "move in" to whatever part of the brain was replaced. So replacing all of it bit by bit would give you a synthetic brain where the soul has moved in.

That's all assuming there is a soul, and that the personality of a person is more than just an emergent property of the brain. The way I see it, as the way others interact with us changes our brain, such a personality would be self-reinforcing property. We behave in a certain way -> people treat us in a certain way -> our brain develops in a certain way -> we behave (even more) in a certain way.

And yes, Gil, this is all assuming the existence of reality to begin with. A man has to cling to some illusions. ;)

EDIT: Almost forgot:
gftweek wrote:I don't see this as a problem though, as curing dementia by allowing the brain to replace lost neurons and form connections at the same rate as when you are young will be developed long before synthetic brains, so there would be little need to replace parts of the brain unless they were damaged.
This would, of course, be the second possibility. If we find a way to rejuvenate the brain, then the only problem is the rest of the body wearing out. And that can be sorted in the same way: either rejuvenation of some sort, or by replacing parts with synthetic (and probably improved) parts.

Also: I don't claim a planet. Rather I claim the right to travel to whichever planet I want, whenever I want. Too much too see, too little lifetime of the universe left...
Lots of planets have a north...!
Hisco

Post by Hisco »

Well instead of only claiming a planet I think im gonna just claim the enitre andromeda galaxy and hope that I dont get bored too quickly.
The below statement is true
The above statement is false