No more turtles

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Jeet

Re: No more turtles

Post by Jeet »

Wow. Just wow. FC, it sucks this happened. It reminds me of my old Ultima Online days when someone played me, gaining my trust enough for me to give him the keys to my castle. Then turned right around and wiped me out. Don't clam up too much on us, but I can definitely understand you holding back.

As for Forge, I'm done with it now for good, especially when I saw about he windmills. I've been familiarizing myself with your updates since my last short lived LP and am preparing to start a new lets play with BTW. I'll be sure to tell my 2000+ subs exactly why as well. Long live BTW!

JeetTol
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote: They were Flying Turtles first. I don't know where that comes from.
Let me share with you the origins of the Flying Turtles. Long ago, even before the yogaboo invasion, the mod's fanbase was growing fast and FlowerChild was getting more and more tech support requests everyday. Among those fans, a few regulars started answering questions and solve installation problems to try and help FC a bit. Even at that time, haters and complainers were pretty common. So one day, to reply to a complainer, someone used this peculiar picture. It was quickly adopted as the main reply to the most generic complains, much like today's pastry pics for update pestering posts. Later on, FlowerChild started using the name Flying Turtles when he was speaking about his small group of regulars/helpers. This name followed when the community was moved to these forums due to the MCF thread becoming almost unusable at that time. The end.

(As for Hardcore Turtles? That's just a reference to the recent streak of hardcore additions to the mod.)

@FC: Thanks, that means a lot to me.
Last edited by logorouge on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Man, this must be really tough. It amazes me that anyone could possibly stoop so low to do this. As always, you have my support during these rough times. Thanks for making an awrsome mod that has kept me playing mc for a year longer than I would have (1.8 about killed mc for me, but BTW is the only reason I bothered to update. So again thanks!)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

logorouge wrote: Let me share with you the origins of the Flying Turtles. Long ago, even before the yogaboo invasion, the mod's fanbase was growing fast and FlowerChild was getting more and more tech support requests everyday. Among those fans, a few regulars started answering questions and solve installation problems to try and help FC a bit. Even at that time, haters and complainers were pretty common. So one day, to reply to a complainer, someone used this peculiar picture. It was quickly adopted as the main reply to the most generic complains, much like today's pastry pics for update pestering posts. Later on, FlowerChild started using the name Flying Turtles when he was speaking about his small group of regulars/helpers. This name followed when the community was moved to these forums due to the MCF thread becoming almost unusable at that time. The end.
Hehe...spot on my man. Glad to know I'm not the only one who remembers those days :)
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

Not cool, though don't allow this to make you distrust all internet relationships, but real world ones are better overall most of the time, so there no harm in pursuing those more :).

I really hate to see all this drama in the btw and MC community, but this community has a lot of good people so far as I have been able too tell. It's just too bad that minecraft is so damn popular, it's nearly impossible to do much about a gigantic community when there is a tide of thousands of new players every day.

Unrelated, because hedgehogs and Ze Frank are Hilarious:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dreambolt wrote:It's just too bad that minecraft is so damn popular
Well, really: that's why we're all here no?

I don't talk about this often, but I believe that MC is on the cutting edge of game design. THIS is the place to be at this point in time.

That's why all the drama results. To those of us that really care about games, this here, right now, is truly important to us, as we haven't seen anything like it in the past twenty years or more.

People become very passionate as a result. We feel like we are doing something important, even if we are working on "just a mod".
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

FlowerChild wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Well, really: that's why we're all here no?

I don't talk about this often, but I believe that MC is on the cutting edge of game design. THIS is the place to be at this point in time.

That's why all the drama results. To those of us that really care about games, this here, right now, is truly important to us, as we haven't seen anything like it in the past twenty years or more.

People become very passionate as a result. We feel like we are doing something important, even if we are working on "just a mod".

Indeed I would be forced to agree with you (Though BTW is hardly just a mod in my opinion I thrust it on all my MC playing friends), it just make stemming the tide of trolls very difficult and I've see the different effects of popularity of the subject matter in different communities. (From Tyranids to tech sites, and many other game sites) but I would agree that the massive community makes minecraft something amazing, but thing like this are one of the down sides to that popularity.

Well regardless you have my support!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I wouldn't say the popularity makes MC amazing...it's MC being amazing that results in that popularity :)

It's just something that comes with the nature of the best IMO. I wouldn't be modding MC if it wasn't so incredible, and with that, comes the massive amount of people attracted to it.

Like seriously...here I am, a professional game dev, that sees this thing and becomes utterly obsessed with playing and modding it. I know I bitch about what's happening with MC a lot: but at its root, I simply love this game and what it represents, as do a shit-ton of other people ;)
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Finally at the forums from a real computer. Something about Swype and Chrome for Android doesn't let me post. This really blows, man, a really dick move whoever was the one to do it. I completely agree that building trust over the internet is a huge challenge to begin with. To then have that trust broken like that... Man...

As for the design-aspect of MC being revolutionary: I couldn't agree more. It's truly innovative, which I guess is the reason I come back to it time after time. Though the recent direction Mojang is taking it might not be to my liking, at least we have BTW to introduce some actual game to our sandbox.

I feel like I've been repeating myself since around beta 1.6, but it bears saying again: thank you so much for all the hard work you out into this, FC. Don't let the infantile haters get you down. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
mkolpnji

Post by mkolpnji »

This is my first post on this forum, and I'd just like to say that this situation is extremely saddening.
I've been a long, extremely longtime lurker, (I lurked the MCF thread since pre-mechanical power) and one of the things I really enjoyed was seeing the interactions and the discussions in this community.

I've been here lurking during the yogaboo invasion, the whole situation with technic, and all of the other things that happened, and this incident is probably the one that saddens me the most.

To think that a trusted member of this forum would actually betray the community is extremely surprising and disheartening.

Regardless, I will continue to lurk and enjoy this mod, and I hope things from this point on turn out better.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Wow. Just.... wow. I'm sorry to something such as this has taken place. I can understand to some extent the hole in your heart feeling you get when the trust you place in someone is used against you like that. *puts on dragon skin gloves* *pats one of FC's slimy tentacles* I grieve for you loss, but don't worry, time can heal many wounds. Let's hope this is one of them.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

So JojHeywood has decided to take it up a notch and has now put a series of insults towards me in his banner/sig on MCF.

I'd ask folks to report this user as this is obviously not appropriate behavior for a moderator. You can find an example on the last page of the Modloader thread.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Good to see that you're not stooping to their level in any case. :)

Always boggles the mind why people behave like 12 year olds once they've got a keyboard in front of them.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Because the most they think they can get is a slap on the wrist.
It's not the keyboard, it's the anonymity.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

All it says is I've had enough of our bickering let's be friends... Was it something different earlier?
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

Refresh the page a few times. It appears the text will change every time the page loads.
mneMoose

Post by mneMoose »

Here are the links to the pertinent information.

Here's a link to the post in Risugami's thread:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/754 ... ry18808100
And here's his signature/banner by itself:
http://vps.rjheywood.com/public/JoesSig/dyn.png

As said above, his banner changes it's quote on the reloading of the page, and supposedly his banner uses quotes from his twitter feed.
EvanT

Post by EvanT »

I only noticed yesterday night that I was no turtle any more and thought, like logorouge, that I was deturtled due to lurking or some refinement process. Then I found that no user name was green any more so I believed in a database problem or some accident and gave it some time. Then about an hour ago I decided to visit the IRC to get some info only to find this .. in "Off-Topic" moments later.

From what I understand of the plot there is/was a log-time turtle leaking FC's posts from the turtle-forum to a MC-Forum moderator who is a ?Eloraam-fan-boy? who got the nerve to say that FC was starting a flamewar with his latest nether-windmill-feature.

.. I am speechless ..

What were they thinking? Were they hoping someone (the higher-up) would be so .. stupid .. to ban FC from the MC-Forums?
This whole plot is just so stupid. It achieves nothing (but the end to the turtles). The two communities are not going to go further apart, how could they? Or are they trying to keep it that way by providing a new fuel supply? That implies so much destructive intention, anger and hate..

Facing this a Harry Potter quote came to my mind:
"Steht zusammen und seid stark von innen heraus!"
I translated the quote back to English since I can't find the original atm. I do hope the translation is accurate.
"Keep together and be strong from within" Sir Nicholas De Mimsy-Porpington, Harry Potter 5
"We are not shooting for realism,.. we are shooting for awesome!"
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

EvanT wrote:
Facing this a Harry Potter quote came to my mind:
"Steht zusammen und seid stark von innen heraus!"
I translated the quote back to English since I can't find the original atm. I do hope the translation is accurate.
"Keep together and be strong from within" Sir Nicholas De Mimsy-Porpington, Harry Potter 5
Its accurate ;)

Can't the moderator at MCF be reported for personal insults ?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Donzaffi wrote:Can't the moderator at MCF be reported for personal insults ?
Yup, I tried that, but I suspect either he was getting the reports, or his friends were.

I've taken it up with a higher authority. I'll let you know what happens.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

MCForums... Curse better get their act together and clean that shit up or their hard-earned cash-crop won't continue to payout.

Back to the original topic, sad to see the betrayal, but I'm not surprised :( Something I learned 12 years ago with my own modding endeavors, you can't FULLY trust anyone on the internet... period. It's all varying levels of mistrust.

The other thing I learned is what you may view as work, someone else views as entertainment. Never underestimate people's willingness to go above and beyond to be "entertained".

Finally, in this day and age, assume everything you're doing anywhere at any time is public knowledge. If you have a problem with it being public, don't do it.

Now that I think about it, we had some crazy mod rivalries in the Tribes scene too. What's funny is my mod team stayed out it and were literally the last man standing and only ones to release a fully functional TC.
Schmitty

Post by Schmitty »

It's been a long time since I've been on these forums, and even longer since I've played Minecraft.

But to come back and see shit like this? God damn this sucks. Why do people always insist on starting shit over the internet? Even though I am not fully aware of what happened, nor was I a turtle, this still aggravates me. To think that someone who you thought you could trust would just knife you in the back like that, it's a real dick move.
Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy, Come marching home
Brave soldier boy, Comes marching home
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Schmitty wrote:It's been a long time since I've been on these forums, and even longer since I've played Minecraft.

But to come back and see shit like this? God damn this sucks. Why do people always insist on starting shit over the internet? Even though I am not fully aware of what happened, nor was I a turtle, this still aggravates me. To think that someone who you thought you could trust would just knife you in the back like that, it's a real dick move.
Yeah, I'm starting to think it would just be better to have a central Mod Index where links to the Mods downloads, forums and Wiki's are provided and user logins (other than the Mod authors themselves to keep the mods info up to date). All discussion can be kept on the individual mods forums. No politics, forced co-operation, everyone wins.

Leave Reddit for the rivalry crap. People can discuss their opinions there and if you don't care, you can just tune out.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just an FYI, after taking it up with the MCF admins and providing ample evidence, the moderator in question has lost his mod privileges.

Anyways, we can at least consider that aspect of all this resolved.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:Just an FYI, after taking it up with the MCF admins and providing ample evidence, the moderator in question has lost his mod privileges.

Anyways, we can at least consider that aspect of all this resolved.
Well that's a win at least I suppose. Not that it does anything to take care of the damage already done. Seems they'll let anyone be an moderator on MCF. They even wanted me to apply. Go figure.