High Stakes - A Co-Op BTW Let's Play (SotFattest Ep33)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Thalarctia

High Stakes - A Co-Op BTW Let's Play (SotFattest Ep33)

Post by Thalarctia »

Heya everyone! Welcome to the official forum thread for the Youtube series High Stakes.

Update: We are now on Twitter! Follow us at https://twitter.com/HighStakesLP to get all the latest updates / derpy nonsense that we decide to put up!

We started out thinking the series would primarily be for our own entertainment, but after posting here and a few other places, we've quite quickly turned somewhat bigger. This has motivated us to push even harder to make a proper series with quality content and editing, and we have already progressed far toward this goal! This is why the series for season two is moving to a new youtube channel! So, if you have enjoyed the series so far, make sure to subscribe to our new channel, which can be found here! http://www.youtube.com/user/HighStakesLP

Latest status update:
The High Stakes crew have decided to extend Survival of the Fattest, and as so, we are moving to a more interesting location.

While we are doing this series, the normal episodes will be on hold. This is explained a bit in the description for the first episode, but for good measure, I'll include it here as well. We're kinda "burning out" a bit with the main base, in that we have achieved quite a lot, we got everything we need and such. So we're kinda hoping that a bit of good ol fashioned death and horror in the early game will bring back some inspiration.

Newest (regular) episode:

Our very own trailer for the Better Than Wolves Total Conversion:

Since this post was getting a bit messy, it will from now on just include the latest episode and a link to the youtube playlist. It is recommended to watch this series via Youtube.com, as this will allow you to enjoy it in its full 720p.

Link to playlist for Survival of the Fattest:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... PPeox60Wjs

Link to playlist for season 2:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ak9QA0EAw3

Link to playlist for season 1:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... WbOc4jzy_g

Sincerely,
Thalarctia, Tspriggs, Traff9800 and PeaceBuddha
Last edited by Thalarctia on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 am, edited 108 times in total.
Thalarctia

Re: High Stakes - A Better Than Wolves Let's Play

Post by Thalarctia »

Episode 3 has now been uploaded! I pray that anyone who has watched the first ones and thought that the quality was a bit too crap to watch, to give this new episode a go as we have been doing a good bit of fiddling with stuff to make it less painful to listen to :) Also, exciting stuff happens!
Thalarctia

Re: High Stakes - A Better Than Wolves Let's Play (EP8 is up

Post by Thalarctia »

Just wanted to say that this is still a thing.

So far the response has been quite positive, and we are getting a lot better at actually getting some mod stuff into the videos. Episode 8 sees us getting a windmill, and 9 (which will come tomorrow most likely) will be focused on building a magnificent home for our furry, dung-producing friends.

New people who are just spotting this series now, you might want to skip ahead to episode 5, mainly due to the audio quality being significantly improved from there on.
pgelinas

Re: High Stakes - A Co-Op Better Than Wolves Let's Play (EP8

Post by pgelinas »

I've been watching this series since the beginning and I must say it's quite enjoyable. Having all the hardcore modes on gives it a nice little vibe; I haven't seen your most recent episodes (I'm at episode 6) but I do hope you put hardcore spawn on, that would probably mitigates the friendly killing (or add even more hilarity, who knows!).

I must ask, what software are you using for recording/editing?
Thalarctia

Re: High Stakes - A Co-Op Better Than Wolves Let's Play (EP8

Post by Thalarctia »

pgelinas wrote:I've been watching this series since the beginning and I must say it's quite enjoyable. Having all the hardcore modes on gives it a nice little vibe; I haven't seen your most recent episodes (I'm at episode 6) but I do hope you put hardcore spawn on, that would probably mitigates the friendly killing (or add even more hilarity, who knows!).

I must ask, what software are you using for recording/editing?
I am not going to put hardcore spawn on, simply because the results of it will mainly be a lot of wasted footage, and progress that the audience will either not see (if I'm the one dead), or a lot of waiting around as I am actually trying to teach these two knuckleheads how BTW works. So if one of them has to spend an hour travelling back, we won't get much recording done.

Regarding the software, it should be listed on my Youtube channel page. But for reference, I'll quickly put it here as well:
Recording: Bandicam (licensed)
Audio enhancement: VirtualDUB (free)
Video editing: Windows Live Movie Maker.

The main reason I use WLMM is because it's free, and it actually does what it says on the tin. I would love to have access to more sophisticated editing software, but most of the free ones either lack in tools, or is nigh impossible to use. And I am not yet willing to spend the money on a commercial product, partly because the viewerbase is still limited, and partly because I cannot make money off of this due to youtube partnering not being avaliable in my country.

On a sidenote, episode 9 is now up! We soon find ourselves knee-deep in progress and creepers, hope you will enjoy! Also, you can probably expect episode 10 sometime tomorrow.
pgelinas

Re: High Stakes - A Co-Op Better Than Wolves Let's Play (EP1

Post by pgelinas »

I am not going to put hardcore spawn on, simply because the results of it will mainly be a lot of wasted footage, and progress that the audience will either not see (if I'm the one dead), or a lot of waiting around as I am actually trying to teach these two knuckleheads how BTW works. So if one of them has to spend an hour travelling back, we won't get much recording done.
Hummm, you've got a point there; guess that's why you're the one doing the LP and not me :P
ServantOMallard

Post by ServantOMallard »

I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far. You sir have a sub
I must respectfully decline your request with massive explosions
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Episode 11 is now live. We delve deeper into some of the actual mod contents, and are rapidly approaching the stage where things start getting dangerous.

Episode 12 will be out sometime tomorrow evening (GMT+1), and I don't think its too much of a spoiler to say that it will be worth watching :)

Also, a big thank you to everyone who has watched and subscribed! When this started out, we we're mostly just doing it for ourselves, having a bit of fun with recording and stuff. But the feedback from you guys has been very positive, and your continued support makes us want to keep improving! Hopefully some of you have already noticed and enjoyed the increased production value :)
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Ep13 came out on sunday, and today we have episode 14! I have kinda been spacing them a bit apart as we've had some difficulty getting the timing right for more recording, but hopefully the pace will pick up again.

Also, Block Dispensers!
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Episode 16 has just gone live! We finally get started on a mob trap, and it will be glorious!
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Episode 18 - Innuendo Overload went up last night, and apart from the obvious, it features our first guest player!
tspriggs

Post by tspriggs »

A brilliant and awesome series! highly enjoying the adventure that you have uploaded so far. Looking forward to future episodes of High Stakes.
Chupacabra

Re: High Stakes - A Co-Op Better Than Wolves Let's Play (EP2

Post by Chupacabra »

Thanks for the wonderful series Thalartica! I've been looking for a good video series where some newcomers are introduced to the mod (I always look forward to the placenta bit) and have found yours to be an interesting and fun watch. Please keep up the hard work!
Following the light of the Sun, we left the Old World
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

The few times i've watched this it seems your friends are distracted and want to do other things like incinerate cats or pvp with arrows. You seeem to take the role of the parental figure often. I am still much of the opinion i would rather play BTW by myself as there are still a lot of things i don't know about redstone and automation and rather then have somebody else pull me along i kinda like to learn at my own pace.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:The few times i've watched this it seems your friends are distracted and want to do other things like incinerate cats or pvp with arrows. You seeem to take the role of the parental figure often. I am still much of the opinion i would rather play BTW by myself as there are still a lot of things i don't know about redstone and automation and rather then have somebody else pull me along i kinda like to learn at my own pace.
I am trying as much as I can to have the others do the actual mod stuff when I can get through to them, but sometimes, showing has a larger impact than telling. At least I think it has...

With Caleman and Spriggs joining, there *might* be slightly less parenting, and a bit more teaching, but we'll see. :)
FlawlessPumpkin

Post by FlawlessPumpkin »

Hey, FlawlessPumpkin here.
I don't mind Jerry "parenting" us, but I try to take it all in to use on my own, to then use at a later date.
Let us know if there is anything you'd like me to change, whether I do more on my own to figure it out?
tspriggs

Post by tspriggs »

After playing this mod for a few episodes now I am really losing myself in the immerse, fun environment. The way that it is laid out is intuitive and relatively easy to understand. I think we are definitely getting better at the not killing each other part and actually focusing on the projects at hand.. although some 'deaths' are unavoidable.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Episode 24 was uploaded last night, and we are back to the regular schedule of updating every 2 days. Episode 24 is the first of a new session of play using BTW 4.32, probably our most fun session yet. Let's just say that severed heads with player skins are the best thing to be added to Minecraft multiplayer ever :D
tspriggs

Post by tspriggs »

After finishing the current project of Moving A Mountain, I am looking forward to what could possibly go there.. already got some ideas bumping around, you will have to keep watching to find out.
On a side note I am enjoying the continued efforts of Thal on this project, I doubt its easy and it would not work unless we all chip in. One idea possibly to keep the program moving is to maybe start the video with more updates on current projects that are either worked on in the episode or off camera, so that the audience can keep in mind that its ever growing, and not linear.

But keep it up! look forward to future episodes.
Thalarctia

Re: High Stakes - A Co-Op Better Than Wolves Let's Play (EP3

Post by Thalarctia »

After a short break (due to me being busy with RL stuff, and thus having very limited time), this series is back with episode 30! I work on more automation, we introduce a real cowboy and Sam gets blown up!

Hopefully I have managed to settle things for now, so we can get back to regular scheduling, but christmas is traditionally a very busy time :)
nukularpower

Post by nukularpower »

Just wanted to say thanks for the series. It helped me alot in getting re-acquainted (or however you spell that) with the mod after a pretty long break. Good stuff!
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

nukularpower wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for the series. It helped me alot in getting re-acquainted (or however you spell that) with the mod after a pretty long break. Good stuff!
Thanks for the compliment!

Episode 34 has now been uploaded. In addition to being the highest quality video so far (in terms of compression!), it is also the first episode I have done using my new editing software, that I finally bought as a christmas present for myself - So expect plenty of silly effects and stuff in the next couple of episodes, as I get used to using it ;)
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Episode 37 was released last night, and is the last in this brief "adventuring interruption" that has occured. The next couple of episodes will focus more heavily on mod content, automation and building, as I believe that both we behind the camera, and you guys have had enough of minecraft combat for a while. Do not worry, we will get back to killing the ender dragon, but now that we have a portal room secured and a way of transportation there, it will be an isolated episode, and not a giant fail compilation like the last couple of episodes :)

Also, as a sidenote, we will endeavour to not mention this whole BWF shitstorm in the series. I fully support FlowerChild in this whole thing, what is being done is wrong on a fundamental level. Youtube let's plays are not the correct forum for the discussion of it though.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Love this series, keep up the good work here :)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Hey everyone!

We're celebrating the festive season with this short video, featuring highlights from the first four episodes of the series! It is important to remember where you came from, and we do this by reliving our biggest fails and successes!

Hopefully you all have a very merry christmas, and will enjoy the special episode!

Sincerely,
Everyone who has participated in High Stakes so far