Always Raining...

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Vellt480

Always Raining...

Post by Vellt480 »

Well, it doesn't actually always rain, but it does rain practically every night. It would be okay, but I started a new survival world and I just got a windmill and enough axles and gear boxes to get it to my house. And since I just started I can't make a rain checker with a detector. So what I'm doing right now is leaving the very first gear box unattached.
When I need to use it, I attach it. What I need is help of what to do until I advance farther. Any suggestions would be great.
Batman: Wanna know why i make amazing movies?
Superman:...Cause your Bat-
Batman: CAUSE IM BATMAN!
Miss_Kat

Re: Always Raining...

Post by Miss_Kat »

Making a water wheel seems to be the most logical step to me.
Vellt480

Post by Vellt480 »

Yes, I know, but I need to make a saw. Plus I can't find slime and glue isn't a possibility yet.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

First, just attach a lever to the side of your Gear Box so you can shut it down instead of having to replace and remove it.

If the rain really is persistent, you can always find yourself a desert in which to setup your Wind Mill as the weather won't adversely affect it there.

Worse case scenario, you can always build a portal to the Nether, and setup your Wind Mill there as well.
Vellt480

Post by Vellt480 »

Oh yeah those are good ideas. I like the desert one but there isn't a desert for miles. So I'll use a lever. I wish you could see the amount of rain I get. Oh well, fake life sucks. Thanks for replying.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Spelunking for slimes?
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Well, if you're anything like me and like having a tall windmill, this is basically how my windmills get set up. Ground level lever with vertical redstone torches, so I can turn it on from the ground and then turn it off easily in case I have to rush through the rain. Pretty much goes along with what FC said, but I like mine to be remote for some reason. (In the pic there is already a detector block taking the place of this, but I kept the old parts there because it looked neat. I also opened up the bottom so the lever affected torch was visible.) Hope it helps or at least provides another alternative.
Spoiler
Show
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Don't miss beds too much, except for my inability to sleep the rain away. It's mostly the noise that gets to me and how utterly incessant it feels when it rains every few days. I have been building in a taiga the past few days and I must say that the snow is really a blessing in that regard. I might still be unable to use my windmill but atleast it's nice and quiet (though I have to admit it's odd to see the windmill spinning like crazy while the snow gently floats down to the ground :P).
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

fun fact for those that don't like how noisy the rain is: apparently the noise is tied to the rain particles, and by turning your particles to minimum, you eliminate the sound.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Vellt480

Post by Vellt480 »

Ribky wrote:Well, if you're anything like me and like having a tall windmill, this is basically how my windmills get set up. Ground level lever with vertical redstone torches, so I can turn it on from the ground and then turn it off easily in case I have to rush through the rain. Pretty much goes along with what FC said, but I like mine to be remote for some reason. (In the pic there is already a detector block taking the place of this, but I kept the old parts there because it looked neat. I also opened up the bottom so the lever affected torch was visible.) Hope it helps or at least provides another alternative.
Spoiler
Show
Yes Kinda the same for me. I thought about making a very long redstone path. I played a bit and it rained all night and through the day and stopped after the sun set. Though what I learned to be easier( once you have the materials) To use a detector block facing the sky to check for rain. But I'll have to wait. So good suggestions.
johnt

Post by johnt »

Perhaps i could offer some advice based on real life experience. I just spent three months in Central America during rainy season. It rains basically every afternoon for hours, usually torrential downpours. The way I dealt with it is that I would do anything I needed to do in the morning, and then I would go to the nearest bar when it started raining and drink. It was perhaps not the best coping mechanism, but it worked for me. I suggest having beer handy by your computer. Then you can start looking forward to your rain breaks.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Graphite wrote:Don't miss beds too much, except for my inability to sleep the rain away. It's mostly the noise that gets to me and how utterly incessant it feels when it rains every few days. I have been building in a taiga the past few days and I must say that the snow is really a blessing in that regard. I might still be unable to use my windmill but atleast it's nice and quiet (though I have to admit it's odd to see the windmill spinning like crazy while the snow gently floats down to the ground :P).
Yeah. Personally, I just go deep underground for a few MC days whenever it starts to rain. Maybe it's just my frustration with it but rain seems to last way too long for how annoying that sound is. Still, caving is fun and it just gives me one more excuse to go back down to my mines.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

In the early game best option is to leave the windmill power when you don't need it. that way if it starts raining you don't have to run like crazy to a leaver or up a tower to flick a leaver. i build the first grinder / saw at the top of the tower so when I'm using them I am near the switch to turn it off quickly. you have to baby sit while it is on but it works quite well here is a picture of my windmill tower I had a leaver where the detector is currently.
Spoiler
Show
barley visible on the right is a hopper with sole sand filter powder by the windmill
my bare bones kiln / auto potter is next to the tower and powered by the windmill. my new kiln is in the building water powered.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

johnt wrote:Perhaps i could offer some advice based on real life experience. ...
Same idea for me. Whenever something that requires waiting occurs, I just go make a new coffee or take a smoke break. No sense sitting there waiting for virtual rain to stop, you need a break from the game occasionally anyway, and those smoke breaks often inspire new ideas for me.
Vellt480

Post by Vellt480 »

I feel we are getting off topic. I have gone in the nether. And started to try to make a windmill. Which is grueling with a fortress near by.