Sharing useful builds that get the job done

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Re: Sharing useful builds that get the job done

Post by Mason11987 »

Bevanz wrote:Five Minute Timer

I designed this circuit today at work, and tried it out on my creative test world. It's main purpose when I integrate it into my main world will be to put out wheat to breed cows every five minutes (the breeding time for cows).

It uses a repeater timer that pulses every second to feed into a series of block dispensers that have wool in them to make a pulse come out every fifteen seconds, which goes into another block dispenser that does the same to get it to one minute, and then the same to five minutes. It can easily be adapted with varying amounts of wool slabs and wool blocks for different times, etc.

The block dispenser with wool slabs/wool blocks over a redstone torch idea I got from Battosay.

I've found it's much easier and consistent to just use a turntable on the slowest setting hooked up to a (couple) BDs for my timers. Especially since I almost always have mechanical power around.
Bevanz

Post by Bevanz »

Oh, that's true isn't it? Thanks for the tip, I'll probably redesign this now lol
He flaps his boney wings at you, but you ask how he can fly with those things and he crashes to the ground.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Donzaffi wrote:
shifty wrote:
Donzaffi wrote:Automated hardcore chicken farm
Spoiler
Show
The whole machine uses in his orginal screw pumps to work ( I have build this one in creative to explain better how it works)
The Hemp grows and drop seeds, they go in the water stream and from there with a dispenser in the chicken hatchery. There the chicken are "breed" and lay eggs, from there the whole content goes down in another dispenser shooting the eggs against a wall and hatching the chciken. From there the chicken go in a water stream in a saw that activates each night with a sun detector
This looks great, could you put a world download up for it?
Sure, I improved it a bit so little chickens don't get more so often killed.
I putting it online when I reach home

https://rapidshare.com/files/442926045/ ... achine.rar

here you go
my chicken farm, ( its still needs improvement )

edit: put quotes it
Last edited by Donzaffi on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Donzaffi wrote:https://rapidshare.com/files/442926045/ ... achine.rar

here you go
my chicken farm, ( its still needs improvement )
Any pictures?
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Mason11987 wrote:
Any pictures?
Donzaffi wrote:Automated hardcore chicken farm
Spoiler
Show
The whole machine uses in his orginal screw pumps to work ( I have build this one in creative to explain better how it works)
The Hemp grows and drop seeds, they go in the water stream and from there with a dispenser in the chicken hatchery. There the chicken are "breed" and lay eggs, from there the whole content goes down in another dispenser shooting the eggs against a wall and hatching the chciken. From there the chicken go in a water stream in a saw that activates each night with a sun detector
It was on page 7, its just one page ago.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Elevatator wrote:

It was on page 7, its just one page ago.
My bad, I didn't realize he had thought to post pictures previously. Thanks
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Some more builds for people who want them. These are more for utility and aesthetic than game progressing. Both of these MUST be built in a snow biome.

Automatic Ice Farm
When you want to collect ice. Duh.
Spoiler
Show
The middle is a 3x3 thing of water with a Buddy Block in the center, so no water there. The corners are all covered so they don't freeze, and the middles are left exposed. The wiring will make sense in a minute.
Half blocks around below the buddy block keep water up, while allowing redstone to travel down. (Top aligned half-slabs don't block redstone.)
A simple monostable circuit with this timing will prevent the Buddy Block from firing indefinitely. I should fire once, when needed, and that will be all. Collecting any ice that shows up.
Automatic Snow Farm
Lots and lots of snow. Why? Because I can. Not always reliable, will sometimes stop working, will sometimes go forever. Went back to check mine today to find that the entire BD was 12 blocks away from full.
Spoiler
Show
I built this example in the plains biome so you can see the buddy block. Normally the golem will continually lay down snow on the buddy block. The button is for start-up.
The buddy block goes out to a repeater set to this delay, which triggers a torch attached to the backside (shown later) of the block it's powering. The redstone powered above the torch will also power this BD which has 4 halfslabs and a block for timing (there is a torch underneath the halfslab in case there were any questions), so when it has 4 snowballs, instead it will put out a snow block, and then at that same time, the piston will gain power and push it out to the side...
...where the other BD has just gained power and when the power is cut, it will gather the snowblock.
Like always, any questions, suggestions, violent disagreements are welcome.
shifty

Post by shifty »

Automatic Egg Farm (Waterless)

I was looking for a way to automate egg farming without water and this is what I came up with.
Spoiler
Show
The design is really really simple. Put a chicken above a hopper surrounded by blocks so it can't escape. Then behind the hopper blocks have a dispenser (vanilla or BTW) to shoot out seeds. The chickens will be able to eat the seeds through the blocks (this may be considered an exploit). I'm using a 1 dispenser per two chickens. Hook up the dispensers to a clock and thats it!
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

shifty wrote:Automatic Egg Farm (Waterless)
... The chickens will be able to eat the seeds through the blocks (this may be considered an exploit). ...
i don't think so, since all animals do it since the beginning of auto-animal farms, but worth asking fc
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
shifty

Post by shifty »

Hardcore Bucket Monster Spawner Farm
This design can be built as soon as you have access to the waterwheel. The screw pump is not required. First find a monster spawner (except a spider spawner) then find a water source nearby. The source will need to be at a higher altitude then the roof of the spawner, in my survival world I found a source 30 blocks away and 10 higher than the spawner. You'll want to clear out a 7x5x5 area (LxWxH) centred about the spawner. How you orientate this room depends on where your water source block is. Follow the pictures or look at the world download to see the rest. The diamond block represents the spawner. The water source is in the far corner in the first picture. The rest of the water all comes from that one source block. The waterwheel powers all the saws as well as the two hoppers (items + XP).
Spoiler
Show
World Download
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

How will the mobs spawn? Or can they spawn in water? (what I don´t think is possible)
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
shifty

Post by shifty »

Mob spawning rules are slight different for spawners and mobs are able to spawn in the air.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

I hadn't seen anyone make a pottery machine that places the clay right on the table, so I made this.
Automated Pottery Machine
System overview
Spoiler
Show
Block dispenser with turntable (two redstone torches) on third setting
Spoiler
Show
Block dispenser inventory
Spoiler
Show
As soon as the block dispenser places the clay, it gets pushed by a piston towards a double piston extender
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
The double piston extender pushes the pottery off the turntable, and places the clay on it
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Seems a bit OTT for my liking ... Do you not like the waterless 3-BD, 1-Buddy, 1-Piston setup? Do you not like having your clay placed directly onto the turntable?

EDIT: I also don't get how it works, might test to get a better idea
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Whuppee

BD Clocks

Post by Whuppee »

BD Clocks.

Power travels down the middle; the highlighted regions are (or can be) identical and arbitrarily extensible modules.

These first two seem functionally equivalent; I prefer and demo the former so that the power source remains evident:
Spoiler
Show
In use, observe that half slabs do not transmit power whereas full, opaque blocks do:
Spoiler
Show
I've decided to spoiler the majority of the explanation. TL;DR at bottom.
Spoiler
Show
When I refer to a BD having N-blocks total, I mean that the first N-1 blocks are half slabs and the Nth block is full/opaque.

A turntable with a single torch outputs, depending on its speed setting, an interval of 2, 4, 8, and 16.
Maximum time is 16^N x Interval, where N is the number of BDs. For example:
  • One full, 16-block BD (16^1= 16) will output a signal every 16 iterations. (16 x 16= 256) On the slowest interval, this will take ~256 sec .. 4.267 min
  • Two full, 16-block BDs (16^2= 256) will output a signal every 256 iterations. (256 x 16= 4096) On the slowest interval, this will take ~4096 sec .. 68.267 min .. 1.138 hr
  • Three full, 16-block BDs (16^3= 4096) will output a signal every 4096 iterations. (4096 x 16= 65536) On the slowest interval, this will take ~65536 sec .. 1092.267 min .. 18.204 hr
  • A fourth full BD will result in an output time of about 291 hours. This may be excessive.
Note that these times are maximal. They're a way of determining requisite intervals and BDs.
  • With a 16 second interval, one BD will suffice for times under 4 minutes. Two will suffice for times from 4 minutes to an hour.
  • With a lower interval, run numbers as demonstrated and expect to employ more BDs.
Comparing intervals, by example:
  • A 5 minute timer:
    • Convert output time to interval units. 5m x 60s= 300s
    • Divide output time by interval. 300s / 16s= 18.75 iterations
    • Prime numbers (from 13+) and decimal points require rounding. Some precision will be lost.
    • Round to a non-prime, whole number. A 5 minute output will require either 18 or 20 iterations.
      • If this were a feeding timer, being under 5 minutes would result in wasted food, while being over would result in wasted re/production.
      • 18 iterations is 4% inefficient, while 20 is 6.77% inefficient. (12/300, 20/300 respectively)
    • If this were a problem, one could opt for a 4 second interval. 300 / 4= 75 iterations
      • The output is now precisely 5 min. No feed or time is lost, at the cost of a lot more block updates.
  • A 30 minute timer:
    • 30m x 60s= 1800s
    • Interval of 16s. 1800s / 16s= 112.5 iterations. Must be rounded to 112 or 114.
      • 112 x 16s= 29.867m (0.44% under)
      • 114 x 16s= 30.4m (1.33% over)
    • Interval of 8s. 1800s / 8s= 225 iterations
      • Precisely on time. Twice the iterations.
The loss of precision is frequently trivial and occurs only as a result of rounding.

BD number and inventories, by example--N-block BD means N-1 are half slabs and Nth is full/opaque.
  • 5m Timer with 16s interval .. 5m x 60s= 300s .. 300s / 16s= 18.75 iterations .. round to non-prime, whole number.. 18 or 20
    • Greater than 16^1 (16) means two BDs. Greater than 16^2 (256) means three BDs. And on.
      • So this will require 2 BDs. Find the GCF (if it exceeds 16, keep dividing by 16)
        • For 18 iterations, GCF is 9; for 20 iterations, GCF is 10. And that is how you load your BDs:
          • 18 iterations: first BD has 9 blocks, second has 2.
          • 20 iterations: first BD has 10 blocks, second has 2.
  • 30m Timer with 16s interval .. 30m x 60s= 1800s .. 1800s / 16s= 112.5 iterations .. I'm rounding to 112
    • More than 16^1, less than 16^2. Two BDs will suffice:
      • GCF is 16. 112 / 16= 7.
        • First BD has 16 blocks, second has 7.

Each module, the highlighted space between BDs, can be treated as a separate (if interdependent) output. They can also be chained into separate clocks.

Connect the output of a 5 minute clock to the input of another; you now an interval of 5 minutes instead of 16 seconds. Absurdity awaits.
TL;DR

Your input is a turntable on the last setting with a single redstone torch.
How long of a clock do you want? Convert that number to seconds. Now divide that number by 16.
As necessary, round it to a non-prime, whole number.

Now find a power of 16 that your number is less than. (16^1= 16; 16^2= 256; 16^3= 4096 ..)
You need that (power) many BDs in the line. Expect all sane numbers to be <= 3.

Find the GCF of that number. Load your BD(s) accordingly:
  • N-block BD means that N-1 are half slabs and the Nth block is full/opaque ..
    • Your number is < 16? You have one BD with N-blocks in it.
    • Your number is > 16? Your first BD has GCF-blocks in it. Your second/third/etc have the subsequent factors
Check your math. First BD has N-blocks in it, multiplied by N-blocks of second BD, and on .. times 16 ..
Gives your output time in seconds. Convert. Should be within 5% of your starting number, and generally closer.
TSA

Post by TSA »

I love Six's melon/pumpkin farm.

But then the progression broke it! so i took the liberty to change it a little bit and tried to still have it compact.

So it now uses a bit more redstone but no big deal.

Materials used:

- 1 Block dispenser
- 1 Detector Block
- 2 redstone torches
- 2 repeater
- 3 redstone dust
- Others (For looks)
Spoiler
Show
ImageHow it looks from the front (that is a dual farm as you can see)

ImageWiring
LunaticToad
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Mason11987 wrote:Flower/Tall Grass farm, for people missing the old bonemeal:
Spoiler
Show
BD on left has glass, then dirt. BB is pointing down. Everything else is visible.

Edit - After looking at this for a while I simplified it into a 2x2x2 space!
Spoiler
Show
Planter is grass, lower BD has dirt, then redstone torch and it's pointing under the other BD.
Plenty of tall grass and flowers now, I tweaked the design a little to be a melon/pumpkin farm with almost no effort:
Spoiler
Show
Bevanz

Post by Bevanz »

Mason11987 wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Bevanz wrote:Five Minute Timer

I designed this circuit today at work, and tried it out on my creative test world. It's main purpose when I integrate it into my main world will be to put out wheat to breed cows every five minutes (the breeding time for cows).

It uses a repeater timer that pulses every second to feed into a series of block dispensers that have wool in them to make a pulse come out every fifteen seconds, which goes into another block dispenser that does the same to get it to one minute, and then the same to five minutes. It can easily be adapted with varying amounts of wool slabs and wool blocks for different times, etc.

The block dispenser with wool slabs/wool blocks over a redstone torch idea I got from Battosay.

I've found it's much easier and consistent to just use a turntable on the slowest setting hooked up to a (couple) BDs for my timers. Especially since I almost always have mechanical power around.
Thanks again for the tip, just thought I'd follow this up by saying that although I don't have a screenshot of it, putting the turntable on the slowest setting eliminates the need to have the redstone repeater timer and the second block dispenser, making it cheaper, and as you said easier and more consistent.

Code: Select all

turntable timer (Pulse every 4 seconds) -> BD with 14 slabs and 1 solid block (Pulse every minute) -> BD with 4 slabs and 1 solid block (Pulse every five minutes).
He flaps his boney wings at you, but you ask how he can fly with those things and he crashes to the ground.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

So I've started building walls around my mob trap to decorate it a little bit and I thought it might interest people here.

Album. Most have titles and some have descriptions too.
Vellt480

Post by Vellt480 »

How will animals eat the seeds i thought the only way make them eat it was by hand. Will they eat itif u throw it
Batman: Wanna know why i make amazing movies?
Superman:...Cause your Bat-
Batman: CAUSE IM BATMAN!
Bevanz

Post by Bevanz »

All animals can eat their respective foods by eating an item dropped on the ground within a one-ish block radius.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

shifty wrote:First find a monster spawner (except a spider spawner) then find a water source nearby.
I may be wrong but dont you have to be within 16 blocks of the spawner for it to activate?
shifty

Post by shifty »

OldMarriedDude wrote:
shifty wrote:First find a monster spawner (except a spider spawner) then find a water source nearby.
I may be wrong but dont you have to be within 16 blocks of the spawner for it to activate?
No you're right, it is a short distance. Usually when I find a spawner I set up a small base around it and mine the the nearby area resulting in 5-10 mobs dying every time I drop by to smelt or stock up on supplies. It really depends on whether you can justify the cost-benefit. I only ever build something like this around the time of getting a waterwheel because soon after that it isn't too hard to build a mob trap.
heyz

Post by heyz »

early morning try at automation of hemp/chicken farm.

http://imgur.com/a/oDHQV

It's not full auto, but if anyone has any ideas how to separate eggs from raw eggs, I can probably make it go.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Mason11987 wrote:So I've started building walls around my mob trap to decorate it a little bit and I thought it might interest people here.

Album. Most have titles and some have descriptions too.
My next structure is my hemp/chicken farm monster!

Damn the water flows here were REALLY complicated and made it really hard to get decent pictures afterwards

Album

Got a few stacks of feathers out of this, so it's working really well.