I think my old base is haunted.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
IowaGuy

I think my old base is haunted.

Post by IowaGuy »

Anyone ever had a haunted old base?

When I first started BTW I made a small keep on a hill overlooking the sea. On the shore nearby rests my first windmill (long broken). A waterwheel still functions. After a bad creeper accident caused by a friend I moved out and built a new base not too far away.

I decided to return recently to grab some gold bars I had left. I gathered some supplies and set off for the old spawning ground. The trip took most of the day but I arrived with plenty of time to hit the old mill and head up to the keep for some rest. A fierce rainstorm had just finished and the sky was a dull grey. A jagged hole in the side of the mill allowed access. I entered the mill with a feeling of unease.

The ancient explosion had taken out most of the torches. The few that remained gave sharp contrast to the poorly defined shadowy corners. The place was in shambles. Many of the valuable components were stripped for the exodus, but bits of broken machinery remained tossed about. Axles jutted from the walls, as if vainly reaching for a lover long gone.

The wind picked back up and a light rain resumed, finding purchase in the decayed ceiling and hitting Steve's face softly.

A click sounded. Then another. A light flashed in the darkness. The clicking now came at a steady pace, matched in tempo by the flashing light.

After a moment of confusion, it dawned on me.

"Hey my old saw mill survived!" I exclaimed out loud.

Then a troubling thought ruined the joy of finding my first automation intact. I had taken care to bring all the precious wood with me when I left so long ago.

And the saw was button activated.

I crept closer, battle axe raised nervously.

In the window of the machine a block dispenser was placing and unplacing a torch over and over.

"Well screw the gold", I thought to myself.

I made a quick exit and headed toward the keep. A light block flicked on inside shining through he window.

I took off and headed for my new base, smashing creeper and skeleton aside on my mad dash.

Tldr;

Shit be haunted. On a similar note - gremlins exist in minecraft and do odd things to machines.

Anyone else have a freaky building?
TheLordOfDerp

Re: I think my old base is haunted.

Post by TheLordOfDerp »

Holy shit man that could not have been scripted better...
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I am once again glad you joined us, despite the detriment to your golf game. That was /beautiful/.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Dwarg91

Post by Dwarg91 »

The way you wrote that, it could easily be turned into a story that I would love to read.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

IowaGuy wrote:Axles jutted from the walls, as if vainly reaching for a lover long gone.
This. This right here is some good shit.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Very... Creepy.
Loved it. Wish there was more.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
tedium

Post by tedium »

rofl, that was a fun read. i don't find my buildings getting haunted, but i tend to use up my excess cobblestone to build the old ruins of collapsed castles. maybe the ghouls of my games go live there instead of bothering me
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

Minecraft the story? :)

Had an underground base a while back that I left abandoned with a working nether portal in it. When I returned I could here pigmen noises filling the old corridors, since I didn't know pigmen could enter into the overworld scared the crap out of me.
IowaGuy

Post by IowaGuy »

Well after some thought I think the light block from the keep is easily explained. I was working on pressure plate experiments before I left. Maybe a mob found its way in and hit my welcome home mat.

The sawmill thing...maybe a torch flew into the hopper after the explosion? Not sure how the button got pressed though. Maybe the explosion created some kinda feedback loop circuit.

I told a friend about it and stated that I think the old homestead is haunted. Without a pause he said,

"This whole world is haunted."

Pretty much sums up the general feeling of Minecraft.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Don't try to explain it... keep the scary mystery alive man :)

Though now I have the urge to build a haunted house
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

BTW, the only mod where you can go back to "Ye olde windmill" to find it haunted.

(anyway, nice read :D)