Hardcore Buoy Spoiler Thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Foxy Boxes

Re: Hardcore Buoy Spoiler Thread

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I made a water flow over eight sidings on the side that the items would be traveling (so at the very start there's a drop and so forth), tnt and note blocks are light enough to travel 7 spaces and float *above* the drop. Will try with signs instead of siding.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote: Guys, reeds float in water now. Amazing.
Hehe...I'm happy about that one myself. I always lose a few reeds in the water while manually harvesting and wind up feeling obliged to jump in after them ;)
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

I'm working on an Item Elevator.
Doing some tests to see how far items will float up.

I am using a dispenser at the bottom, to throw things in to a water fall.

Jungle Planks, floats 4 blocks up.
Dung 3.
Leather 3
Raw Beef 4
Wheat 4
Jungle Wood 3
Feathers 4
Hemp 4
Hemp Fiber 3
Wool 4

Because of how water flows like to link up. You can't have item in a horizontal flow, into a vertical flow.
So I had to use an Item Dispenser.

Must be limitation on vMC water physics has to why items don't float to the top.
I was surprised that nothing floated to the top of the vertical flow.

Wait, I only tested a single source block with water flowing down. What if it's a vertical stack of water sources?

Yup, things that float, rise to the top!!
Last edited by nmarshall23 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

nmarshall23 wrote:I'm working on an Item Elevator.
Doing some tests to see how far items will float up.
Read the design change thread. I'll be getting rid of that behavior for next release, so I wouldn't spend too much time on it.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If there is an entire range of densities for various items, I can definitly see a test for saline content in water. For example, if a screw pump floats in the water you coud know that it has a slight amount of salt in it. If it was enough to float a table or a mining charge, you would know it is very salty.
Better is the enemy of Good
Londubh

Post by Londubh »

Interesting thing I found: it seems that turning water blocks (where water comes in on one face and turns 90° to continue) are treated as one block closer to the source than they are.
heyz

Post by heyz »

This is why I don't waste time thinking of suggestions, great devs are miles ahead and working on stuff I didn't even know was possible. I'm very excited to try this out! The fun will be had.
IowaGuy

Post by IowaGuy »

Well, hardcore buckets has had a side effect on my server. The trend towards waterless designs that work both in the overworld and the nether. These designs are simpler to maintain and repair. The hoppers design works well with vertical downward transportation of items.

One negative of waterless designs is that They are often long along the y axis. This tends to have players running up and down steps to throw switchers, fill hoppers, collect items, etc.
Example: Autosaw array

So what does water offer? Horizontal transportation. Water based machines are generally built along the x,z axis.

The machine interface and collection point are often close, but refueling requires a 2D jog.
Example: Large Mill array with water belts.

If hardcore buoys add versatility and usability to water systems then that's awesome. Any water elevator like features to them will add the missing element from minecraft machines. The holy grail- simple vertical item transport.

If the design introduces a lot more complexity to the use of water, then I will probaly disable HCB to balance that, for the skill level of my players.

Anyways, an exciting course of development and as always the updates are appreciated!

Edit: vertical movement against the flow of water would be unatural. Only with still water does it make sense. Maybe this is what FC is referring to? In any case, I typed way too much thought and conjecture about a system that is still being developed. But... It is an interesting design. That's why we are all posting, because we are excited.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

IowaGuy wrote:The holy grail- simple vertical item transport.
Yeah...fuck that.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

IowaGuy wrote: If hardcore buoys add versatility and usability to water systems then that's awesome. Any water elevator like features to them will add the missing element from minecraft machines. The holy grail- simple vertical item transport.
1. Pulleys are WAY more interesting then just having items float up (might as well stick them in a pipe if you're gonna allow that.

2. Pulleys aren't even that complicated, I've set them up dozens of times. They don't even have to be big, you just have to use your head.

Once you pull off truly auto-farms you'll never go back to climbing ladders to flip switches to power systems. The first guy on your server to truly take in the idea of automation will rule over everyone else, being able to collect XP, mob drops, leather, meat, and steel while you're doing some mining is extremely valuable. No need to completely supplant one of the most interesting features of the mod.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

To be fair, ejecting water into the middle of still water will be an interesting way to sort floaters from sinkers.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Six

Post by Six »

Foxy Boxes wrote:To be fair, ejecting water into the middle of still water will be an interesting way to sort floaters from sinkers.
Yeah, I think I'm okay with that, as it would be very situational, requiring you 'carve out' your structure from existing large water sources. Pretty interesting design challenge, and one which one misplaced block can actually ruin it beyond repair (which is a very rare thing in MC).
IowaGuy

Post by IowaGuy »

Foxy Boxes wrote:To be fair, ejecting water into the middle of still water will be an interesting way to sort floaters from sinkers.

*insert joke about dung factory*

All joking aside, some good points Mason. Being a good game designer is like being a good Dungeon Master, make it to easy on your players and it gets boring.

So far nothing but good things about bouy behavior. I really like the floating wheat and reeds. Moved a few hoppers around, no biggie.
fullsailor

Post by fullsailor »

IowaGuy wrote:

*insert joke about dung factory*
Now I have to know: Does Dung sometimes float & sometimes sink?
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

fullsailor wrote:Now I have to know: Does Dung sometimes float & sometimes sink?
Well, a fatty diet causes floating in reality, but I very much doubt FC would waste his time making different Dung for each food source given to wolves just to changes their buoyancy.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

New behavior in 4.15:
  • Due to undertow, items will no longer float in player made pools where only the top level is source blocks, since all the water under them is actually flowing down. You probably won't have any of these anyway if you are using HCB.
  • Buoyant items will no longer float over block-wide holes under a waterflow because of the undertow of the water flowing down these holes
  • The mini waterfall that occurs when waterflows go down a level has enough undertow to make even buoyant items enter a hopper under them.
  • Buoyant items (I tested with planks) will enter a hopper under the first block of a waterflow if thrown directly over it, and when floating normally, will pretty consistently enter a hopper under the 5th block of waterflow, occasionally entering the 6th. (compared to the 6th or 7th of before)
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

darahalian wrote:
  • The mini waterfall that occurs when waterflows go down a level has enough undertow to make even buoyant items enter a hopper under them.
This is awesome and it will make redoing my builds much easier.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

This actually would spare my build, as I rely a bit on that. The undertow will definitely work nicely.