Automated Hemp Farm Help

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
blithen

Automated Hemp Farm Help

Post by blithen »

So pistons make it amazingly easy to make a hemp farm here is my setup currently:
Spoiler
Show
However obviously when the block detector detects the grown hemp and pushes the pistons out then it will always keep the pistons out because it's detecting the powered piston, any work around to that?
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Thalmane

Re: Automated Hemp Farm Help

Post by Thalmane »

You could use a block dispenser in that one space in front of the detector or use a saw that gets turned on whenever the hemp grows
blithen

Post by blithen »

Thalmane wrote:You could use a block dispenser in that one space in front of the detector or use a saw that gets turned on whenever the hemp grows
Saw might be the easiest...how would I go about rigging up a block dispenser?
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

...I think I actually know a way around that.

Try... this.
Spoiler
Show
Doesn't need to be diamond, obviously, and that piston is sticky. Basically this just makes the Detector break its own circuit, retracting the pistons, turning itself off to make the circuit whole again. Just a nice, quick, pulse when it activates.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Either use a BD as Thalmane said for that block or you can build a hemp clock. Ie plant a hemp plant a bit to the side and place a DB and a BD at it. When it reaches 2 height the DB will send a signal to the pistons at the farm as well as to the BD to suck up the top of the clock plant.

EDIT: avoiding double posting.

blithen wrote:
Thalmane wrote:You could use a block dispenser in that one space in front of the detector or use a saw that gets turned on whenever the hemp grows
Saw might be the easiest...how would I go about rigging up a block dispenser?
This is probably the most compact hemp farm. It's also modular :) (I think it was Evolution_Zero who first came up with the design)
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
blithen

Post by blithen »

Fracture wrote:...I think I actually know a way around that.

Try... this.
Spoiler
Show
Doesn't need to be diamond, obviously, and that piston is sticky. Basically this just makes the Detector break its own circuit, retracting the pistons, turning itself off to make the circuit whole again. Just a nice, quick, pulse when it activates.
Dude you lead me to figure it out! I wasn't quite sure what you're showing me there but I changed the sticky piston to a block dispenser and inverted the power to break the circuit when it's activated, thanks!!! :D
Spoiler
Show
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

blithen wrote:
Fracture wrote:...I think I actually know a way around that.

Try... this.
Spoiler
Show
Dude you lead me to figure it out! I wasn't quite sure what you're showing me there but I changed the sticky piston to a block dispenser and inverted the power to break the circuit when it's activated, thanks!!! :D
Spoiler
Show
That'll do effectively the same thing, yeah. Both make and break the circuit in quick succession. Glad I could help!

On an unrelated note-- if I turn the repeater leading to the first piston after the detector to the slowest setting, that turns this into a clock. Oops.

Edit: Now that I think about it, a detector-piston clock could have some interesting uses, seeing as it can be started simply by someone walking past it.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

You won't be able to use a piston in front of the Detector, because their still a bit glitchy, and when blocks around them are powered it prevent them from updating and retracting.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Battosay wrote:You won't be able to use a piston in front of the Detector, because their still a bit glitchy, and when blocks around them are powered it prevent them from updating and retracting.
Er, I already have it working lol.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

An extended piston that goes in front of the detector ?
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Battosay wrote:An extended piston that goes in front of the detector ?
Yes. A piston extends on a delayed signal from a detector that it extends in front of, re-triggering it. It's essentially a 1-square proximity-activated clock.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah, so it won't work for the hemp farm then (for the plant use as timer with the Detector)
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Not when I'm using it as the clock setup, no. If I drop the delays back to 1, it works fine for the hemp farm.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I really need to update to 1.7 before discussing things I can't test :p
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

Have you tried a pulse limiter yet? It's one of my favorite redstone tools. It will cause the pistons to extend, then retract a tick later.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redst ... se_Limiter
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Creepig wrote:Have you tried a pulse limiter yet? It's one of my favorite redstone tools. It will cause the pistons to extend, then retract a tick later.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redst ... se_Limiter

thanks for the link, the combo BD and piston always getting stuck / burning out on me. Plus this has a much smaller foot print.
I call it the pusher_farm
Spoiler
Show
just testing out in the open using reeds instead of hemp and making sure there is no interference from other RS sources.
Looking at that image I bet I could make it smaller if I only have the DB at harvest level. BACK TO MINECRAFT!
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I've been testing this out, it's stable for the most part. It solves the problem mentioned in the OP and is really compact.

When the reed grows a piston extends knocking down the reeds and another piston (on a delay) pushes the detector block out of the way and retracts it after the first piston has already reset.

I used reeds as an example but hemp would work the same,
Spoiler
Show

It also allows for easy collection of the timing reed.