BTW Systems Flowchart

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

BTW Systems Flowchart

Post by Mason11987 »

So I'm planning a massive base on my SSP world for the first time, normally I just build as I go.

I thought it would be helpful to create a chart of how various systems can interact so i can design around that. As tends to happen it got away from me and out came this (direct link)
Spoiler
Show
There have been other flow-chart type things for BTW but they normally focus around crafting recipes and not builds or systems which is really what I think is the core element of this mod. Almost all the "systems" I've made in one form or another, but never so interconnected and most of the system links can be theoretically automated in some way although I know a few definitely cannot yet. Once I got to the end I thought this might be something other people might enjoy. I also could provide the source file if anyone cares, it was made on a program called SmartDraw.

Thoughts/corrections/comments?

Oh, and for those who care this is where I got in my design phase for my build before getting pulled into the flowchart:
Spoiler
Show
The middle circle I already built about 40 blocks high (45 block diameter, the gray lines form a 5 thick border for an octagon with a diameter of 300 blocks. All of the lines that aren't on the outer border will be sky bridges of some sort, when planning the ground based paths I needed to place my builds which led to the flowchart. I placed towers at the center of each octagon edge circle.
Edit - Fixed/rearranged.
Edit 2 - Separated Builds (Hemp farm) with Machines (Kiln/Stewing Pot/Crucible)
Last edited by Mason11987 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HavokSCOUT

Re: BTW Systems Flowchart

Post by HavokSCOUT »

This is awesome. This reminds me of the tech tree charts that popped up earlier in BTW's life, but this takes it one step further. This would make a cool desktop, btw. ;)

EDIT: The Hopper for the XP from Mob Farms should be "Soul Sand"
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

This is just beautiful. Definitely keeping a copy of this for reference, very nice work.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

DxPanxD wrote:This is just beautiful. Definitely keeping a copy of this for reference, very nice work.
HavokSCOUT wrote:This is awesome. This reminds me of the tech tree charts that popped up earlier in BTW's life, but this takes it one step further. This would make a cool desktop, btw. ;)

EDIT: The Hopper for the XP from Mob Farms should be "Soul Sand"
Thanks! It's certainly inspired by those designs. I fixed it and made some other improvements too.
ada221

Post by ada221 »

HavokSCOUT wrote:This would make a cool desktop, btw. ;)
done
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Oh wow. This is so cool. But you seem to forget that string can be converted to wool via the stewing pot.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Wow, amazed.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

As for the design of the base.

Skip the skybridges. Go all out, dude. That outer ring should be a wall, and the entire interior should be lighted to become your personal city.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Good job man. I actually made one of these myself, not so detailed, on paper the past week. I was debating whether I should post it here but you beat me to it! Good job.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

That's excellent. Good job!

I love things like that.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

If you run out of room you could always just make the entire interior of the walls a single tower :)

The one thing I didn't see on the chart was paper and books and bookcases, and possibly building a library for enchanting. I may have missed that though.

This would make a completely awesome co-op SMP goal! :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Thanks all! Glad you like it.
Rianaru wrote:If you run out of room you could always just make the entire interior of the walls a single tower :)

The one thing I didn't see on the chart was paper and books and bookcases, and possibly building a library for enchanting. I may have missed that though.

Well paper is not created by a "build" or a "machine" it's created completely by crafting, same with books, and bookcases, so they aren't part of it for that reason.

This is also why hoppers/BDs/DBs/Buddy Blocks and a lot of other things aren't on here. They aren't input or output from an automated system of some sort, even though they are necessary components of a lot of the builds on the chart.
TheAnarchitect wrote:As for the design of the base.

Skip the skybridges. Go all out, dude. That outer ring should be a wall, and the entire interior should be lighted to become your personal city.
Well there are three "rings" the innermost will be my warehouse, and the rest will house all my builds, as listed in this chart, I already have a planned position for all of them.
ServantOMallard

Post by ServantOMallard »

I think my face just partially melted, great work! Keeping a copy of this...
I must respectfully decline your request with massive explosions
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Ah. I was under the impression that it was all uses, not just automated ones. Great flowchart by the way :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Herr Derp

Post by Herr Derp »

Good lord, it's beautiful. Both the flow chart and your map. I'd really like to see you build this thing up. I've always had an issue traversing such big bases, though. it takes and ice age and 1 and a half Lord of the Rings movies to get to point A to B and you have to make sure all of your necessary supplies are with you, etc. Any thoughts on how you'll fill the whole place up, since the idea is to make everything (farms, contraptions) compact? I'm not criticizing, I'm actually curious.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Rianaru wrote:Ah. I was under the impression that it was all uses, not just automated ones. Great flowchart by the way :)
Here is a more traditional version of the tech tree, although it is outdated:

http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Tech_tree
Herr Derp wrote:Good lord, it's beautiful. Both the flow chart and your map. I'd really like to see you build this thing up. I've always had an issue traversing such big bases, though. it takes and ice age and 1 and a half Lord of the Rings movies to get to point A to B and you have to make sure all of your necessary supplies are with you, etc. Any thoughts on how you'll fill the whole place up, since the idea is to make everything (farms, contraptions) compact? I'm not criticizing, I'm actually curious.
I'll be using an extensive rail system with lens's for signaling if I can pull it off. Not looking forward to the vast amount of iron needed tough, I've never built an iron golem farm though, I have a nearby village though so that'll be made when I could. It's also only 300 blocks across, which isn't all that huge.
Herr Derp

Post by Herr Derp »

Mason11987 wrote:I'll be using an extensive rail system with lens's for signaling if I can pull it off. Not looking forward to the vast amount of iron needed tough, I've never built an iron golem farm though, I have a nearby village though so that'll be made when I could. It's also only 300 blocks across, which isn't all that huge.
Maybe it's just me when I travel by rail, then. Feels like forever just going 20 blocks and I always forget something.

Please keep us updated on this, really organized and neat stuff. I envy your ambition.
teh_tetra

Post by teh_tetra »

Mason11987 wrote:Thanks all! Glad you like it.
Rianaru wrote:If you run out of room you could always just make the entire interior of the walls a single tower :)

Well paper is not created by a "build" or a "machine" it's created completely by crafting, same with books, and bookcases, so they aren't part of it for that reason.

This is also why hoppers/BDs/DBs/Buddy Blocks and a lot of other things aren't on here. They aren't input or output from an automated system of some sort, even though they are necessary components of a lot of the builds on the chart.
I believe correct me if I am wrong that you can make a machine to do crafting......please correct me if I am wrong
Foxy Boxes wrote:I don't often see, but when I do, it's what you did there.
Flowerchild wrote:never underestimate the value of a good cudgel
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

teh_tetra wrote:I believe correct me if I am wrong that you can make a machine to do crafting......please correct me if I am wrong
No, almost nothing that can be made on a crafting table/anvil can be made via an automated system.

(Exceptions are bone meal, dyed wool, and a handful of other things)
teh_tetra

Post by teh_tetra »

Mason11987 wrote:
teh_tetra wrote:I believe correct me if I am wrong that you can make a machine to do crafting......please correct me if I am wrong
No, almost nothing that can be made on a crafting table/anvil can be made via an automated system.

Hm I was thinking using the moulds that might have changed...
Foxy Boxes wrote:I don't often see, but when I do, it's what you did there.
Flowerchild wrote:never underestimate the value of a good cudgel
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

teh_tetra wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:

Hm I was thinking using the moulds that might have changed...
Nope, moulds make manual crafting on anvils much more convenient, but it's not automatic in the way the Buildcraft auto-crafting table is. FC prefers varied systems that "craft" items in interesting ways, like the kiln, stewing pot, or crucible.
Ancilangeli

Post by Ancilangeli »

holy thought processes batman....
i have bean planning a base that has rapid access to everything needed for btw and is as automated as possible... i now realize the island i had planned isnt nearly big enough to accomplish this.
also, while i know thats what its called, i think its hilarious that it could also be used to plan water flows.
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.