"Flower Child"

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: "Flower Child"

Post by FlowerChild »

Oooooo...I love this let me google this for you thing! Too awesome!

My contribution
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Man, tapes? Now you guys are really making me old...

I guess I'm just that guy with the vinyl collection and working disk set.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

FlowerChild wrote:Oooooo...I love this let me google this for you thing! Too awesome!

My contribution

Code: Select all

Somerset College - Somerset College of Arts and Technology
www.somerset.ac.uk/ - CachedSomerset College of Arts and Technology is a well-established higher and further education college based in Taunton.
I'm not nearly old enough to go to college but thank you for considering my educational future :P
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Stormweaver wrote:How to use lmgtfy.
Oh, it's on. It's frickin' on. We have to go deeper.

Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

KWilt wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:How to use lmgtfy.
Oh, it's on. It's frickin' on. We have to go deeper.
lmgtfyception!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

The very first song I can remember that entered my consciousness that was not a children's song as "Take On Me", by Ah-ha. I liked the race cars. >_>
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Ok so how many people here actually paused the video just to count if it was 5 or 6?
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote: lmgtfyception!
I just want to take this opportunity to express a very unpopular opinion:

I fucking hated Inception.

There, I've said it. I thought it was a disingenuous piece of crap with enough plot-holes, that if I were married to it, I'd absolutely never grow bored. I cringe every time I hear or see references to it.

When I went to see it in the theater, I lost complete faith in humanity based on the positive audience reaction. Since then I've grown increasingly depressed as it's gained more and more popularity. The only thing that has partially restored any hope for me in the survival of our species was South Park's parody of the film as it precisely mirrored my own feelings on it.

Best sci-fi movie ever my ass. Bladerunner...maybe. Inception...no fucking way.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote:
darahalian wrote: lmgtfyception!
I just want to take this opportunity to express a very unpopular opinion:

I fucking hated Inception.

There, I've said it. I thought it was a disingenuous piece of crap with enough plot-holes, that if I were married to it, I'd absolutely never grow bored. I cringe every time I hear or see references to it.

When I went to see it in the theater, I lost complete faith in humanity based on the positive audience reaction. Since then I've grown increasingly depressed as it's gained more and more popularity. The only thing that has partially restored any hope for me in the survival of our species was South Park's parody of the film as it precisely mirrored my own feelings on it.

Best sci-fi movie ever my ass. Bladerunner...maybe. Inception...no fucking way.
Couldn't agree more. To quote south park on this: "Just because an idea is over convoluted and complex doesn't make it cool. Going into multiple dream levels sounds like a really stupid idea"
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote:Couldn't agree more. To quote south park on this: "Just because an idea is over convoluted and complex doesn't make it cool. Going into multiple dream levels sounds like a really stupid idea"
Yup, the other thing that drives me nuts about its fans is that they tend to respond to any criticism of the film with "you just didn't understand it".

Oh...I understood it just fine. If anything, I understood it at one level deeper than them and realized that it was constantly violating its own rules and was completely lacking in any internal consistency :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just to continue beating on this thing:

One of my favorite scenes in the film was when a couple of their guys get knocked out or whatever in one of the dream-levels, and they want to "kick" them out of that level, but they can't do it because gravity has been suspended.

So, they wrap them in cable, and I think to myself "oh, cool, they're going to spin them like tops to generate the "kick" with rotational acceleration".

They then proceed to build a rocket-elevator instead for the cheap special effects that went along with it, causing me to exclaim "WTF!", and then crack up in hysterical laughter.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I've never seen it tbh - I'd heard it was good, but never got around to it.

I'm pretty sure futurama's universe-in-a-box predates the film at any rate - which is the only thing I think of when I hear inception jokes.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
rbh

Post by rbh »

Yeah another FlowerRant :) ...
Concerning Inception : I never saw it. Like I never saw Titanic and will never see Avatar.
For Inception and avatar, I saw the South Park episodes and that's enough for me.
Note : I don't particularly hate Dicaprio or Cameron, It's just the first example that came to me (and they tend to be doing movies I avoid).

For the age (I'm at the start of "Home Alone" in the XKCD chart) : the first time I felt old I was 22~23 and a 17 year old asked me for a cigarette with a "sir" (+ in French with "le vouvoiement")
Nowadays it's more the urban changes around me that makes me realize time pass : I arrived 15 years ago in the town i live now and some zone that were nothing but fields are now malls, houses, etc. And the places I came from have also quite changed from what I saw.

@Stormweaver : the futurama was quite different, there is no notion of Dream in that episode. The 3rd movie : "Bender's Game" could be considered "in a dream" and from the beginning of the show : "they broadcast commercials into people's dream !".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

rbh wrote:Yeah another FlowerRant :) ...
God damn it! After all the work I put into this thing, and all the nonsense I've had to listen to from the community, I think I've earned the right to force-feed you guys my rambling nonsense every now and again ;)

Now to insert the subliminal messages....I will have my army...oh yes....
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote:
God damn it! After all the work I put into this thing, and all the nonsense I've had to listen to from the community, I think I've earned the right to force-feed you guys my rambling nonsense every now and again ;)

Your will is our command, Lord Vader :P
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:

I'd have to agree with you on that FC and I just got here, haha!

I bet the amount of stupid you've waded through would fill up an Olympic pool. That is if "Stupid" could be measured. Trust me, I've seen all the comments on your YouTube vids...
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
rbh

Post by rbh »

FlowerChild wrote:God damn it! After all the work I put into this thing, and all the nonsense I've had to listen to from the community, I think I've earned the right to force-feed you guys my rambling nonsense every now and again ;)

You misunderstood, I was longing for another rant like those you served on the MCF (punk music, french speaking, kids skateboarding on the side walk, get off my lawn etc )
I am diligently stockpiling dung and tallow as you ordered, my Master ...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

rbh wrote: You misunderstood, I was longing for another rant like those you served on the MCF (punk music, french speaking, kids skateboarding on the side walk, get off my lawn etc )
I am diligently stockpiling dung and tallow as you ordered, my Master ...
Nah man, I understood, I was just having a laugh at myself for my occasional habit of turning the mod-community into my personal soap-box ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:

Feed me, baby. Omnomnom....

I've never seen inception and I plan never to if I can imagine it. The loads of people piling up to praise it seemed just a little too reminiscent of Twilight and Titanic. I'll never forgive Leonardo DiCaprio for Titanic (and the hours upon hours upon hours my baby sister spent replaying that damned movie). More than that... with movies, I've just found over time that when people really like something... it's a steaming pile of wolf poo.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
rbh

Post by rbh »

morvelaira wrote:Feed me, baby. Omnomnom....

I've never seen inception and I plan never to if I can imagine it. The loads of people piling up to praise it seemed just a little too reminiscent of Twilight and Titanic. I'll never forgive Leonardo DiCaprio for Titanic (and the hours upon hours upon hours my baby sister spent replaying that damned movie). More than that... with movies, I've just found over time that when people really like something... it's a steaming pile of wolf poo.
F**k you. I had managed to erase Twilight from my memories. I had a moment of weakness when the 2nd movie was released and downloaded the first to see what the fuss was about : oh man my estrogen skyrocketed for a week.

As for the opinion of others I have to admit that it's a bad sign when to many people talk about a movie, with a few exceptions (Tarantino, Rodriguez, Jackson (not always), Gilliam ..., help me find others).
One of the movie I most enjoyed in 2000 (year I went to see a lot of movies while I was supposed to study) we started the film with 4 people in the theater (me, the friend I came with (as baked as me), and two other people) and finished with 2 person laughing so hard they could barely walk This oscar worthy film was : "Dude, where's my car ?"
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

FlowerChild wrote:Just to continue beating on this thing:

One of my favorite scenes in the film was when a couple of their guys get knocked out or whatever in one of the dream-levels, and they want to "kick" them out of that level, but they can't do it because gravity has been suspended.

So, they wrap them in cable, and I think to myself "oh, cool, they're going to spin them like tops to generate the "kick" with rotational acceleration".

They then proceed to build a rocket-elevator instead for the cheap special effects that went along with it, causing me to exclaim "WTF!", and then crack up in hysterical laughter.
Call me late to the party, but I'm really baffled at how you didn't get the concept. >_>

I'm surprised you didn't understand the idea of the fairly normal freefalling elevator (that, in no way, was intended to be a rocket, as far as I can understand). Also, Flower, your idea of spinning them wouldn't have been quick enough. Unless Arthur could figure out a way to spin all five of them, simultaneously, it never would've worked. Even one second between them all spinning could've caused a massive gap in timelines. (Forgive me, I can't remember the exact separation of times, but I'm fairly sure it would've been a few minutes, which Cobb and the others surely wouldn't have been able to get in the midst of an avalanche.)

Edit: Derp for me. He would've spun them all at the same time. However. I don't think it would've given the exact amount of force for the kick. Plus, to spin all of them in a downward motion, you'd need a pretty high area. I suppose a stairwell might work, but really, I think the impact from the elevator freefall was a more guaranteed way of giving the kick.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

KWilt wrote:Call me late to the party, but I'm really baffled at how you didn't get the concept. >_>
Lol! Ok, here's the comment that I mention above that I just LOVE from fans of the film.

I got the whole concept just fine man. I could likely be described as a Solipsist in terms of my personal philosophy so I'm no stranger to taking apart "reality".

My all time favorite film is Existenz, and amongst my favorite films are Stay, The Waking Mind, Revolver, Dark City, Being John Malcovich, and even if it's totally mass market, The Matrix (only the first however...the other two were rubbish).

Just to say, the concept behind Inception is right up my alley (which is why I went to see it to begin with). It's the execution that I thought was total trash.

As for the rocket-elevator, acceleration and deceleration are the same bloody thing man. There's no need to spin them in a stair-well or whatever. The sudden acceleration of spinning them should trigger the same reaction.

As for time ratios....please. They violated their own time-ratios at every turn. Seriously, go through the film, take note of the stated math, and then check if it is then actually applied to the action that is going on. It clearly is not.

The most obvious example is when they finally descend into the bottom-most level. The first guy that goes in winds up being an old man when the main character meets him again, which the main character hasn't visibly aged at all. Meanwhile, at the level directly above that, the main character has been in for about half as long as the first guy.

So yeah, my problem is not with the concept itself. It's how whomever wrote that piece of rubbish had a complete disregard for internal consistency, and when given the option between it and big special effects, inevitably opted for the latter at every turn.

As the South Park quote said above, making something complex and convoluted doesn't make it cool. To do that, you actually need to be able to back up that complexity with consistent execution. If the concept itself is too complex for the guy who is writing it, then it's just a cheep gimmick.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Thank God I'm not the only one that wasn't "mindfucked and blown away, omg best movie evarrrr!!11!1!" I didn't understand why my friends thought it was the Renaissance of movies.

My favorite Sci-Fi movie definitely has to be Sunshine though.

In regards to the OT, I did not realize the term "flower child" was no longer understood by younger people. I blame texting... Or Katy Perry.