Chains For Elevators

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Cidergis

Chains For Elevators

Post by Cidergis »

I love everything that youve done with the mod especially the elevators. However i feel that they can be some what limited. thats why i suggest you add rope variations or more specifically chains. There could be iron and Steel chains. iron chains could lift blocks like solid woods and cobblestone and maybe well anything else if your willing to make a steel chain. as a slight change you cant climb a chain just cause its allot harder to do in real life than a rope. just an idea cause im kinda a freak when it comes to all the material that my house is made out of is the same and id like to build a stone elevator to match everything else.
Zhil

Re: Chains For Elevators

Post by Zhil »

Not going to happen.

- FlowerChild doesn't want to touch the elevator code with a 10ft pole
- It's virtually impossible to code
- Your reasons were aesthetic, what does it add to the gameplay?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Cidergis

Post by Cidergis »

I suppose as far as gameplay goes it would change the size of elevator you could make with only one pulley. with standard rope your elevator can go out 2 in all directions from the anchor. if you used iron chain on a platform elevator you could make the elevator larger with less pullys therefore less tears when trying to make huge elevators. however as you clearely stated above the programming for the elevators is nearly impossible which i can understand so never mind then.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

The problem is mainly this: if all blocks are allowed, how do you figure out which blocks are part of the elevator?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Cidergis

Post by Cidergis »

That is very true i wonder if we simple scratch the whole other materials idea and look slightly into more of the second thing i said cause your right that would never work. although i definatly think their could be a place for the chains when trying to make larger elevators since normally you could only build it the 5*5 size but which means that if you want to build any thing larger you'd use more pulleys which would eventually lead to delays between them. if you only had to use one pulley it would eliminate this problem. ah i just had a bit of a apifany you pointed out that if we made it that the elevator could lift say cobble stone how would we tell the diferance. so i prupose we make unique blocks just for this purpose say a stone platform that would only be lifted by at least a iron chain.

This could make your elevator much stronger and look better in general plus it gives people more options and a chance to make a upgrade to somethinhg that is allready really cool.

to make chains i think should be kinda hard so it would be a 2 step process

Each Chain Segment would be like a single rope and carry the elevator a single block distance.

Also in the event that you use say a high grade steel chain on standard wooden platform it fould be able to go out 4 blocks in every direction effectively doubling the size of your elevator. basically

Iron chain = 3 block size for wooden standard 2 block for stone and cant pull iron platforms
Steel Chain = 4 block size for wooden 3 for stone and 2 for iron platforms.

added bonus Iron chains and a stone elevator could go under water unaffected unlike the ropes and then Steel Chains with iron platforms can go in to lava un affected although i admit i dont know the usefulness of that.

So that is my full idea i would like to thank you for giving me a chance to put an idea forward and i understand if it dosnt happen i have enough experience in programming to know it cam be incredibly frusterating and hard so i understand if this idea never makes to the mod. However Regardless of whether it makes it in the mod or not i would like to know what other people think about it simply as an idea.
Last edited by Cidergis on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

This suggestion will never happen as it already uses up precious block IDs. It also has no other use other than to be purely aesthetic as the pulley system already is in place.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Um...

not to sound harsh or anything, but you may want to rethink having posted that. FC is pretty touchy about anything to do with platforms, and...it's also in the rules that you really shouldn't post recipe suggestions :|
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Cidergis

Post by Cidergis »

Deepsniper wrote:This suggestion will never happen as it already uses up precious block IDs. It also has no other use other than to be purely aesthetic as the pulley system already is in place.
I understand hey it was worth a shot right.
Cidergis

Post by Cidergis »

Stormweaver wrote:Um...

not to sound harsh or anything, but you may want to rethink having posted that. FC is pretty touchy about anything to do with platforms, and...it's also in the rules that you really shouldn't post recipe suggestions :|
Oh im sorry i didnt mean to impose or any thing i mean the term suggestion should be used very strongly i was simply voicing an idea i thought was cool. obviousley not i do apologize for my neglegance in not completly reading the forum instructions and will avoid mistakes such as that in the future thanks again for the help and info. and no your not being harsh or any thing i totally understand.

Very strange i went back and read the instructions again and for some reason or another the rest of the page had not loaded thus i missed the rule about recipeies. or how ever you spell it.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure FC's happy just not touching the elevator code again for anything but emergencies.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.