Ores dropping experience when destroyed by a mob.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
wolfe

Ores dropping experience when destroyed by a mob.

Post by wolfe »

This is more of a fix for a vanilla bug than a suggestion, but it kinda bothers me that mojang hasn't noticed it yet. First off, ore dropping XP just doesn't sound like a good idea in the first place. Now what makes this even more annoying is that the player doesn't even have to be the one to break the ore to get the XP. Creepers and TNT will make ore drop XP, which means players can get the experience without having to get a pickaxe to mine the resource.

In short, do you think you could fix this in the next BTW update?
Last edited by wolfe on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I play videogames, program, animate, draw, write music and play waterpolo. That makes me one unusual bowl of salsa.
morvelaira

Re: Ore drops XP when a creeper bombs it? Seems legit.

Post by morvelaira »

Firstly, I think this suggestion is premature - Until we have a 1.3 compatible version of BTW, we don't know what tweaks and changes FlowerChild will make to the code.

Second of all, have you tested this theory at all? I have not heard of this phenomenon anywhere else, and it would be inconsistent with the way Mojang awards experience for killing mobs.

Thirdly, /especially/ in the suggestions forum - meaningful thread titles please.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
wolfe

Re: Ore drops XP when a creeper bombs it? Seems legit.

Post by wolfe »

This bug has been around since the weekly snapshots. I was worried somebody already suggested it.

Yes, several times. It works for all ores that drop items.

There, changed the title.
I play videogames, program, animate, draw, write music and play waterpolo. That makes me one unusual bowl of salsa.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Ores dropping experience when destroyed by a mob.

Post by FlowerChild »

If I don't remove it entirely, it dropping when mobs destroy it is actually more consistent with the background justification I have for why it's happening to begin with.

Secondly, I can't see this being significant enough to be relevant to anything at all.

And yes, as Morv said...this is premature.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

It's especially premature if Mojang has recognized it as a bug as you said before. FlowerChild certainly has corrected some of Mojang's bugs in the past, but only when they've made it abundantly clear they're either unwilling or incapable of fixing them on their own for quite some time. If it's a bug, and it's not /majorly/ affecting anything, don't worry about it.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
NoviceAdventurer

Post by NoviceAdventurer »

morvelaira wrote:It's especially premature if Mojang has recognized it as a bug as you said before. FlowerChild certainly has corrected some of Mojang's bugs in the past, but only when they've made it abundantly clear they're either unwilling or incapable of fixing them on their own for quite some time. If it's a bug, and it's not /majorly/ affecting anything, don't worry about it.
Exploit it >:D
Tnt exp farm anyone?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

NoviceAdventurer wrote: Exploit it >:D
Tnt exp farm anyone?
Considering the big red hand imprint on my forehead right now, I suspected your days on these forums were numbered.

Then I looked through your post history and noticed you admitting to software piracy in your introductory post, and decided they were over.
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

FlowerChild wrote:
NoviceAdventurer wrote: Exploit it >:D
Tnt exp farm anyone?
Considering the big red hand imprint on my forehead right now, I suspected your days on these forums were numbered.

Then I looked through your post history and noticed you admitting to software piracy in your introductory post, and decided they were over.
It would be interesting to look through the list of the forum's members and see what percentage have been banned.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

The ones with approximately six posts and approximately named 'nothereforlong' would through the statistical curve.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:It would be interesting to look through the list of the forum's members and see what percentage have been banned.
As many as is necessary to preserve the level of conversation, and allow the forums to serve a useful purpose.

Otherwise, it would just be the MCF thread :)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

*shudder*
Perish the thought
TheFlame52

Post by TheFlame52 »

Ulfengaard wrote:The ones with approximately six posts and approximately named 'nothereforlong' would through the statistical curve.
AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaaaaaa....... It's funny because he was really dumb. *wipes tear from eye*
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
fearofshorts

Post by fearofshorts »

On topic with the suggestion-
FC you might need to make a decision about whether or not you like this- mining charges might need to be modified so that they do or don't cause XP drops.
I don't want to be presumptuous or make a big deal out of an overly simple issue, and I especially don't want to cause a chain of "make sure this works" posts, but the thread was already here with a sizable discussion about the issue.

No need for anyone to respond to this to debate anything- I think this issue is probably small enough for FC to make up his mind without our assistance. I just wanted to post a (hopefully) helpful reminder of a special case that might not have been considered.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Guys, I've got issues to resolve with the mod coming out of my ass right now.

Please don't overwhelm me with incredibly trivial and irrelevant details. These things will naturally get resolved with time, and you're in no way helping by pointing them out right now.