Lord of The Rings

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
LJEKadeshi

Lord of The Rings

Post by LJEKadeshi »

So I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing this before, but the eye of enders look like the Eye of Soron from Lord of the Rings just a different color. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Also interesting texture pack idea, Lord of the Rings based?
Just wanted to get this off my mind.
Ulfengaard

Re: Lord of The Rings

Post by Ulfengaard »

LJEKadeshi wrote:-snip-
*puts a toe in OT territory*

I haven't noticed anything like that, but...

>.>
<.<

I would give some serious squee over a LotR texture pack... Serious squee, folks.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

I agree with the sentiment!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I am disappoint. I thought there would be LOTR discussion here. My inner-Tolkein geek is sad.

Please have more descriptive thread titles, for my poor, kittenish heart.

(And yes a LOTR texture pack would be boss.)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

Sorry to disappoint Morv, perhaps we should begin discussing plans to have a picnic in Mordor with Flowerchild and Soron and... the tower of Soron looks like a flower (a very strange magical/ misshapen flower) and Flowerchild was born of a flower... Soron is Flowerchild's Dad? maybe... perhaps I'm just overlooking things.
Actually, No I'm (probably) just crazy.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Sauron and Flowerchild are probably more like brothers. or half brothers... they do seem to be from different genres.
And HOW!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Just suggesting that Sauron had /any/ familial relations is just lore-breaking on so many levels...
StormBeforeDawn

Post by StormBeforeDawn »

morvelaira wrote:Just suggesting that Sauron had /any/ familial relations is just lore-breaking on so many levels...
Was he a god or just some elder being? Its been ages since I read the Silmarillion and I cannot recal everyone's origin.
~Storm
Gargantuan_Penguin

StormBeforeDawn wrote:
morvelaira wrote:Just suggesting that Sauron had /any/ familial relations is just lore-breaking on so many levels...
Was he a god or just some elder being? Its been ages since I read the Silmarillion and I cannot recal everyone's origin.
As I recall he was of the same "race" as Gandalf. I think the closest comparison would be angels. And while Gandalf and the other Wizards were good, Sauron fell and became a "demon"
And HOW!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

To be more precise, Morgroth, Sauron's predecessor was one of the Valar - the god or angel-like beings of the Tolkein cosmology. Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron were all Maiar, or 'lesser spirits'. I've always sort of equated these to nature spirits of Native American or other tribal cultures - but that could be my Western prejudices showing.
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

morvelaira wrote:To be more precise, Morgroth, Sauron's predecessor was one of the Valar - the god or angel-like beings of the Tolkein cosmology. Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron were all Maiar, or 'lesser spirits'. I've always sort of equated these to nature spirits of Native American or other tribal cultures - but that could be my Western prejudices showing.
So, with the started controversy I hope I have provided the discussion you so desired Morv. And just out of curiosity how much lore do you read about these sorts of things?
Gargantuan_Penguin

LJEKadeshi wrote:
morvelaira wrote:To be more precise, Morgroth, Sauron's predecessor was one of the Valar - the god or angel-like beings of the Tolkein cosmology. Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron were all Maiar, or 'lesser spirits'. I've always sort of equated these to nature spirits of Native American or other tribal cultures - but that could be my Western prejudices showing.
So, with the started controversy I hope I have provided the discussion you so desired Morv. And just out of curiosity how much lore do you read about these sorts of things?
Most of the lore is found in the Silmarilion. I am sure there is more but that is the bible I use for my lotr lore.
And HOW!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I've actually not sat down and read the Simarilion myself - mainly because for as much as I love his stories, I can't quite get past the Professor's writing style. I've done a decent amount of research though with the help of friends, and educated myself in a more roundabout way.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Today I learned Gandalf was a Maiar...

This brings me much happy.
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

TheHoboHunted wrote:Today I learned Gandalf was a Maiar...

Specifically, he was an Istari - a caste of the Maiar of which only the five Wizards were known to belong to. *pushes up nerd glasses*
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

You have earned 50 nerdpoints. These can be redeemed at participating stores, such as any comic shop, a fair amount of bookstores, and every arcade, for what it's worth($1 per 10 points).
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

morvelaira wrote:
(And yes a LOTR texture pack would be boss.)

I am thinking about a fair amount of time making a texture pack. Next month i get some free time and don't have to work, I can give it a try since it fits good in my plans in doing Minas Tirith in MC.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

I know I always wanted to have a fell beast. Sadly, I never got one, not even for christmas.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Gargantuan_Penguin

morvelaira wrote:I've actually not sat down and read the Simarilion myself - mainly because for as much as I love his stories, I can't quite get past the Professor's writing style. I've done a decent amount of research though with the help of friends, and educated myself in a more roundabout way.
Yeah... it took me a few attempts before I could get through it, and even then it was always in nice, small, manageable chunks. If there was an Encyclopedia of Middle Earth I would buy it in a heart-beat.
And HOW!
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:If there was an Encyclopedia of Middle Earth I would buy it in a heart-beat.
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

Wish fulfilled. Next.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
M!C

Post by M!C »

morvelaira wrote:
TheHoboHunted wrote:Today I learned Gandalf was a Maiar...

Specifically, he was an Istari - a caste of the Maiar of which only the five Wizards were known to belong to. *pushes up nerd glasses*
Is it a bad sign that I know all of this too? ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

No, its not bad. Just means you and I need to talk more.
M!C

Post by M!C »

morvelaira wrote:No, its not bad. Just means you and I need to talk more.
Easier said than done, I guess ...

Maybe university can change me (though I doubt it). I've finally decided where I want to go study and am currently looking for a flat or room to rent.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Since all the LotR nerds have come out of hiding (YAY), I was wondering if I could have some help ?
Do you know of a course or guide out there that can teach you how to read and write basic Tengwar ? Just the english translated version, not the Elven or black speech version.

Each year for the summer holidays I set myself a few challenges to complete by the end, last year it was learn how start a fire using only natural materials and write a rough draft of a novel. Now I want to eat more healthily, exercise more and learn the english translated version of Tengwar :) Bit of back-story for you :)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

You mean the alphabet, then?
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tengwar.htm