A History of Names

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
LJEKadeshi

A History of Names

Post by LJEKadeshi »

So I have noticed a lot of unique names in videogames, but especially among the Better Than Wolves community; so I am curious as to where peoples' names have originated. For example my name LJE (Liberty(Starcraft 2) Jam Empire) is from a clan I was in when I created my username, and Kadeshi is from my favorite books, the Farsala Trilogy by Hilari Bell(The Kadeshi are a tribe of constantly warring people).

So I'm curious as to how other people have come up with their names, feel free to post as I think there could be some quite interesting stories.
Pentagram

Re: A History of Names

Post by Pentagram »

I remember a thread similar to this a while ago...
Anyway. . .
I'm a Pagan, and the Pentagram is a pagan symbol :)
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

From my side, I never thought I would be so long active on the forums, and because I like to built elevators, I decided to take this name. Unfortunately, I wrote the "at" two times, so that I´m now Elevatator.
It´s somehow funny to see people realising that my name is not elavator, but elevatator.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Itamarcu - Itamar (my first name - Hebrew) + cu (first two letters of my last name).

Now where did FlowerChild originate from? ;)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

Last name of a bit character in one of my favorite book series.

Interesting to know that Elevatator doesn't have some special meaning and is just a typo.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Itamarcu wrote:Itamarcu - Itamar (my first name - Hebrew) + cu (first two letters of my last name).

Now where did FlowerChild originate from? ;)
From a tent in Woodstock
Andellmere wrote:Interesting to know that Elevatator doesn't have some special meaning and is just a typo.
Yeah, not everything has a higher meaning. :)
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Ulfengaard - my personal mishmash of Norse which roughly equates to 'Land' or 'City' of the 'Wolves'.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

AddyBaha - Addy: short for Adrian
Baha(i): my Religion
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Andellmere wrote:Last name of a bit character in one of my favorite book series.
I never really knew what to call him before right now, but Folrig is also a bit character in a series that I enjoyed in middle school (first name though).
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

I normally go by Katarra at various places on the internet. It's a name I made up when I was 11 or so after watching TNG. I thought it sounded Klingon-esque. When I went to register for Minecraft it was taken (which very rarely happens, and only seems to when people misspell Katara's name, a character from Avatar: TLA), so I went with Miss_Kat instead as a shortened version.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Having some drinks, needed an account name for something back in the day.
Not sure where bob came from but I made Ethanolicbob....
Well I thought I had.
Come next time I had to log in I worked out that I mis-typed it.
Ethinolicbob just stuck.
Usually I just refer to myself as Eth
JesterxMailMan89

Post by JesterxMailMan89 »

Was thinking of a future Xbox360 username (I was like 10) and my favorite card was the joker, but being ten I was stupid and thought it was a jester (I like the Jester more now though :p). The second part, MailMan, came from me seeing a mailman outside my window when finally making my name (not kidding, just looked out my window and went "YEAH MAILMEN!!!") and the x was young stupidity, honestly Ive been trying to phase it out. 89 came from some game where when I put my username it filled the remaining slots with numbers and it just kinda stuck.

Wow, when I think about it, the only planned part of my name was Jester.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I mistyped my name while starting a game on Legend of Mana back in the day (my name is Ricky). I laughed with my friends about it, started a new game... and then did it again. I said fuck it and kept it, and there were enough friends present that the name stuck... for the rest of my natural life.

FC's name meaning can be found somewhere, as I remember reading its origin story. Can't recall if it was on here or on MCF, however; as I do remember the entire story, I won't share it as per the addendum to Rule #1. I rather like my not banned status, because I love you all.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
ada221

Post by ada221 »

mine is rather simple, A.D.A is my initals and a few years back when i wanted to play runescape (as was the fad around school at the time) and i had to have at least 5 characters the "create an account" software sent back a few suggestions. ada221 was the first one and it stuck
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

This name is dumb. It comes from "experience" and "hit points" in video games. It was the first "original" name I came up with and stuck with after many, many accounts that were just permutations of the words "super" and "sonic" with a couple of numbers.

In places where I don't want to look like a video-game-obsessed lunatic, I go by the name "Diagonal Device," a name which doesn't originate from anywhere in particular; it was just a nice-sounding alliterative phrase I came up with one time during registration.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I'm named after the great demon god fphlufjglnarg.
What do you mean, they sound nothing alike?
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

I took the nick Abzu to write a bunch of Discordian nonsense about 25 years ago. I adopted it because Abzu is the primaeval sea in ancient Sumerian, and because anything Lovecraftian is awesome. Since I'm not awesome, I figure I could use any help I can get.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Red vs Blue, go figure.
simanick

Post by simanick »

Mine is from my name and the name my parents would have given me if i was a girl.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

"Phoenixian" is a name I've had for myself for a long time
It started with a story I wrote as a child but since then the word has attached itself to quite a lot of ideas.
From the concept of a fictional disease (that which eats the body whole and leaves the individual reborn in new flesh)
To the great and cruel law of the cosmos (for something to be born, another must die)
To the sheer gloriousness of an existence in which not only am I alive, not only is every part of me alive, but so too is everything I am but a mere part of alive. And every layer alive in it's own, unique and endlessly changing manner, all of them always changing and yet remaining the same.
To in the end the fascination I have with death, rebirth, and above all else transformation in all their many literal and metaphorical forms
And since the word and the ideas behind it were so much a part of my identity, it was only natural that when I at last ventured into the Internet proper, I already knew what to call myself.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Six

Post by Six »

The moral of the story kids, is that when you make up a username/email when you are 11, think about it carefully and find something you wont look back on in 20 years and think is stupid and hate yourself for.

Wisdom to pass on to your children.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Six wrote:The moral of the story kids, is that when you make up a username/email when you are 11, think about it carefully and find something you wont look back on in 20 years and think is stupid and hate yourself for.

Wisdom to pass on to your children.
I still use the same username since age 11, and I don't find it very bad :)

...Even though whenever somebody tries to pronounce it (usually in livestreams), they do a horrible job. Maybe I should change it to eeh-ta-MAR-koo.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Mine is quite an odd story, my friend created a tauren druid called Dazola (his name is daz) and I created a tauren druid to try out and I did not want to sound like a type of pasta (Razola) so I chose Razzle, only later when I had invested hundreds of hours into that character and had had people calling me on ventrillo for 4 years did I find out its a 'gentlemans' magazine and a sweet :P guess which one of those now give me most grief being a girl? :P

Edit: The Ra- bit of my name is from my real name Rachel ^^
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Back when runescape was played on my school I needed a name acount so I stuck with my first real name: duarte and the mad back then was really to represent that I was "mad".
Now I tell people that mad comes from the name of the island I live "madeira" just because duartemad sounded a bit childish, and I never changed it.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Miss_Kat wrote:I normally go by Katarra at various places on the internet. It's a name I made up when I was 11 or so after watching TNG. I thought it sounded Klingon-esque. When I went to register for Minecraft it was taken (which very rarely happens, and only seems to when people misspell Katara's name, a character from Avatar: TLA), so I went with Miss_Kat instead as a shortened version.

Hah, Katara means curse in Greek :P

I laughed when I first heard the name in Avatar TLA ;p
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said