[SPOILERS] 3.80 feature discovery thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
morvelaira

Re: [SPOILERS] 3.80 feature discovery thread

Post by morvelaira »

Urian wrote:And if experiments reported on irc are correct, testificates drop Looting.
That is so goddamned appropriate...
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: I wasn't keen on the creative mode stuff, but THIS would definitely be cheating. Bye bye.
If you don't want people using creative either you might want to post it clearly. Maybe some sort of section in the forum rules about talking about mystery features in new releases?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Sarudak wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: I wasn't keen on the creative mode stuff, but THIS would definitely be cheating. Bye bye.
If you don't want people using creative either you might want to post it clearly. Maybe some sort of section in the forum rules about talking about mystery features in new releases?
Why should he have to do that? He's said it multiple times in multiple places, including the first post of this thread. Using methods other than the gameplay to discover things = cheating. Creative technically meets that definition, but because it's something included by Mojang in the base game, there's not much to do about it. NEI is an additional mod, though, and definitely meets that definition. He shouldn't have to add things to the forum rules because someone decided to find out just how far they could push the line.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'd say there is no need to add it to the rules although it might be an idea to include it in the OP for the next release spoiler thread.

I support spading (dunno any other term for it, "experimenting with game mechanics in order to understand them better", originally from Bartle's gamer psychology test) fully done in survival but I wouldn't have thought to classify creative as cheating in this sense. Creative, unlike e.g. NEI, can't tell you how something is crafted, merely that it is there. It's up to FC to classify what is cheating and what is fair game but yeah, I'd say a clarification might be in order next time to be on the safe side :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm not going to consider Creative cheating here, and I haven't banned anyone for using it. I just said I don't much like it.

In retrospect, I should have disabled certain features in creative to prevent this happening to begin with. I'll note that for future releases, as in addition to this release containing many discoveries in its own right, I'm also using it as a test for the overall process under which I make such releases.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'd say the amount and type of discoveries are/were very good. There were some times when I felt like pulling my hair - you do not want to know how long we spent on IRC trying out ways of producing arcane scrolls, everything from crafting in a fully restored stronghold library to throwing soul urns at paper or having paper in an unpowered soul filtered hopper and filtering 8 ground netherrack before someone thought to check their mob farm ;D

I believe we still haven't found all the scroll drops, care to tell us what the drop percentage is? :P
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:I'd say the amount and type of discoveries are/were very good. There were some times when I felt like pulling my hair - you do not want to know how long we spent on IRC trying out ways of producing arcane scrolls, everything from crafting in a fully restored stronghold library to throwing soul urns at paper or having paper in an unpowered soul filtered hopper and filtering 8 ground netherrack before someone thought to check their mob farm ;D
Hehe...really? I was sure the hint I dropped about mob-traps awhile ago (in response to you specifically if I remember correctly), would get people off on the right track ;)
Urian wrote:I believe we still haven't found all the scroll drops, care to tell us what the drop percentage is? :P
Hell no ;)

This involves *serious* in-game work man. I don't even have all the scrolls myself, as I was torn between working on builds in-game and developing the features.

Now I'm torn between working on those builds and working on BTB 2. I'd love to be able to just play the game right now :)
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Has anyone actually tested whether the infernal enchanter adds onto the existing enchant like the numbers (and logic) suggest? What I mean is that its a lot more expensive to enchant something that already is enchanted than something with no effects on, suggesting that it gets increasingly difficult to stuff more magic into something the more it already contains.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Thalarctia wrote:Has anyone actually tested whether the infernal enchanter adds onto the existing enchant like the numbers (and logic) suggest? What I mean is that its a lot more expensive to enchant something that already is enchanted than something with no effects on, suggesting that it gets increasingly difficult to stuff more magic into something the more it already contains.
Yes. It does.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Contrary to popular my belief, the Soulforged Steel block does not scream when you right-click it with a tuning fork. That was one heck of a spoiler.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
risingphoenix

Post by risingphoenix »

I'm curious to know if some of the scrolls have multiple uses. Iirc only silk touch has been found from endermen, and perhaps you can use sharpness (assuming that one drops) as an efficiency enchant on tools and protection as a unbreaking enchantment. I wouldn't put it past FC to make a sneaky combination like that to throw us for a loop *makes sure tinfoil hat is nearby*. On a similar note is it possible that some mobs will drop more than one scroll? It would make sense that skeletons drop an infinity scroll too. especially since there are 21(?) Enchants and definitely less mobs than that
IowaGuy wrote: Because if one is going to build a cow farm it should be a glorious automated symphony of cows doing the saw mill boogey.
BBlaze2

Post by BBlaze2 »

Does any one have the "perfect" configuration for the new enchanting area? I've spent the last few hours and two stacks of book shelves and can't figure it out. I get the first four but not the last one. I feel so darn stupid that I can't figure this out, and my frustration level has me about to throw my monitor across the room...again. Any help expanding on what has already been posted would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

BBlaze2 wrote:Does any one have the "perfect" configuration for the new enchanting area? I've spent the last few hours and two stacks of book shelves and can't figure it out. I get the first four but not the last one. I feel so darn stupid that I can't figure this out, and my frustration level has me about to throw my monitor across the room...again. Any help expanding on what has already been posted would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Which enchant are you attempting with? Some of them only go to 4, so you would never see 5.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

BBlaze2 wrote:Does any one have the "perfect" configuration for the new enchanting area? I've spent the last few hours and two stacks of book shelves and can't figure it out. I get the first four but not the last one. I feel so darn stupid that I can't figure this out, and my frustration level has me about to throw my monitor across the room...again. Any help expanding on what has already been posted would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'm not sure about the optimal arrangement, but my first attempt would be taking the 17x17x17 cube around the enchanter and filling it with two thick stacks of bookcases.

From the top it'll look like:

Code: Select all

XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XXEXX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX
XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX

That would take 3468 bookcases.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Typically, the best arrangement for something requiring each tile of type A (Bookcases) to be adjacent to one tile of type B (Air) follows this repeating pattern:

Green indicates bookcases, white indicates air, black tiles on the edge are wasted (they can be bookcases, but they'd have no air nearby)

This pattern could be done on all Y levels except the two that you walk through; you'd need a hallway there somehow.

I am so not calculating how many bookcases that would let you have.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I'm just building a bookshelf maze around my enchanter :)
Fun over functionality!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Azdoine wrote:I'm just building a bookshelf maze around my enchanter :)
Fun over functionality!
Yeah, I provided an extremely large potential volume for the bookshelves to allow people to create their own library designs and not be stuck with only a few specific configurations.

Trying to cram as many as possible into as dense a space as possible = fail.
BBlaze2

Post by BBlaze2 »

Thalarctia wrote:Which enchant are you attempting with? Some of them only go to 4, so you would never see 5.
The only one my mob farm has produced so far, Projectile protection.

As for every one else thanks for the help I'll keep trying things once I craft more bookshelves. Some times I think every one else is smarter then me, then I realize every one is smarter then me. lol. Sorry to bother ya.
blithen

Post by blithen »

FlowerChild wrote:
Azdoine wrote:I'm just building a bookshelf maze around my enchanter :)
Fun over functionality!
Yeah, I provided an extremely large potential volume for the bookshelves to allow people to create their own library designs and not be stuck with only a few specific configurations.

Trying to cram as many as possible into as dense a space as possible = fail.
Ugh so you mean I actually have to have a building or designated space for something now? Jeeze flower. :P
(Currently my "base" is very sporatic, there is no real buildings save for the 3x3 space I keep my bed in.)
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

blithen wrote: Ugh so you mean I actually have to have a building or designated space for something now? Jeeze flower. :P
Hehe...I know, I'm such a bastard with all this "incentive to build" stuff in a game largely about building :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:
Hehe...I know, I'm such a bastard with all this "incentive to build" stuff in a game largely about building :)
Amen to that! Most obnoxious thing ever!
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

After a rather long time of butchering any and all (save two) wolves not set up in underground poop factories I have not found a scroll for wolves yet. I hope there is one. Time to make more baby wolves and lather, rinse, repeat the culling.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Psion

Post by Psion »

Ribky wrote:After a rather long time of butchering any and all (save two) wolves not set up in underground poop factories I have not found a scroll for wolves yet. I hope there is one. Time to make more baby wolves and lather, rinse, repeat the culling.
An incentive to kill lots and lots of wolves.

This has got to be the most diabolical thing FC has ever done. <_<
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Heh, I'm enjoying the experiment. I found that pushing them of a ravine into a saw is fair payback for all the pre-BTW wolf tweaks.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Psion wrote:
Ribky wrote:After a rather long time of butchering any and all (save two) wolves not set up in underground poop factories I have not found a scroll for wolves yet. I hope there is one. Time to make more baby wolves and lather, rinse, repeat the culling.
An incentive to kill lots and lots of wolves.

This has got to be the most diabolical thing FC has ever done. <_<
Nah, it would've been worse if he had done it BEFORE 1.2.3 reduced all mobs into soulless cthulhu-fish.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?