Is there a renewable source of clay?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Horizon

Is there a renewable source of clay?

Post by Horizon »

As the title says, I want to know if there is a BTW source of renewable clay. If there is a BTB source of renewable clay, I don't want to hear it, due largely to the fact that I can't get BTB working.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Is there a renewable source of clay?

Post by Sarudak »

Not yet. Although I think FC intends to add one eventually. At one time he had nether sludge as a replacement for clay but I convinced him to remove it. :P
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

You're a dick. Also, as this is related, is there a renewable source of netherack?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Catox

Post by Catox »

Horizon wrote:You're a dick. Also, as this is related, is there a renewable source of netherack?
I believe that is called the "Nether"

^______^
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Catox wrote:
Horizon wrote:You're a dick. Also, as this is related, is there a renewable source of netherack?
I believe that is called the "Nether"

^______^
Also there's no renewable source of netherrack either. It's just far more common. Both resources are essentially infinite. Clay just takes more effort to acquire.

EDIT: Also the reason I suggested he remove it was because it trivialized clay collection which is one of the few key motivators for overland exploration.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

The reason I want to know if there is a renewable supply is because I want to truly automate SFS production. I checked, and souldust is a renewable alternative to hellfire. Now I just need a renewable source of clay to make urns, or an alternative to clay. The bioplastic idea is starting to look appealing...
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Horizon wrote:The reason I want to know if there is a renewable supply is because I want to truly automate SFS production. I checked, and souldust is a renewable alternative to hellfire. Now I just need a renewable source of clay to make urns, or an alternative to clay. The bioplastic idea is starting to look appealing...
Even with a renewable source of clay full automation is not possible. There's no renewable source of iron in the nether and bloodwood trees don't grow in the overworld.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

We'll see about that...
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Sarudak wrote:
Horizon wrote:The reason I want to know if there is a renewable supply is because I want to truly automate SFS production. I checked, and souldust is a renewable alternative to hellfire. Now I just need a renewable source of clay to make urns, or an alternative to clay. The bioplastic idea is starting to look appealing...
Even with a renewable source of clay full automation is not possible. There's no renewable source of iron in the nether and bloodwood trees don't grow in the overworld.
I think they can be planted in nether-planters even in the overworld. I'm saying this as I remember it, never have tested it, but I think that if you used a soul-urn on them they grew even in a overwold nether-planter, and that this process allows you to get more soul dust that what you already used for the urn.

So if clay could be automated:

Clay -> BD -> ClayBlock -> Turntable -> Unfired-Urn -> Kiln -> Urn -> Soulsand hopper + Soul dust -> Sould urn
Soul urn + Bloodwood sampling -> Bloodwood tree -> Saw -> Soul dust
Zombie trap -> Iron
Iron + Coal dust + Soul urn -> SFS

Do you realise it? If clay would be automated, we wouldn't be able to automate SFS because we don't have a way to automate coal dust production. Neither coal nor charcoal can be automated. But i think that when FC fits a way to automate clay, he will also allow to burn wood logs in a kiln/stewing pot/crucible to obtain charcoal so that we can fully automate SFS production (Treefarm -> Wood logs -> Kiln/Stewing pot/Crucible -> Charcoal -> Millstone -> Coal dust)

The bottle neck in this process will probably be the iron production, as you can expand your tree/clay farms to produce more but can't create zombie spawners to increase iron production.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

You're incorrect about bloodwood in the overworld. The saplings can be planted in soulsand planters in the overworld, but they'll never grow, even with soul urns.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Siege Wizard wrote:
I think they can be planted in nether-planters even in the overworld. I'm saying this as I remember it, never have tested it, but I think that if you used a soul-urn on them they grew even in a overwold nether-planter, and that this process allows you to get more soul dust that what you already used for the urn.

So if clay could be automated:

Clay -> BD -> ClayBlock -> Turntable -> Unfired-Urn -> Kiln -> Urn -> Soulsand hopper + Soul dust -> Sould urn
Soul urn + Bloodwood sampling -> Bloodwood tree -> Saw -> Soul dust
Zombie trap -> Iron

Do you realise it? If clay would be automated, we wouldn't be able to automate SFS because we don't have a way to automate coal dust production. Neither coal nor charcoal can be automated. But i think that when FC fits a way to automate clay, he will also allow to burn wood logs in a kiln/stewing pot/crucible to obtain charcoal so that we can fully automate SFS production (Treefarm -> Wood logs -> Kiln/Stewing pot/Crucible -> Charcoal -> Millstone -> Coal dust)

The bottle neck in this process will probably be the iron production, as you can expand your tree/clay farms to produce more but can't create zombie spawners to increase iron production.

You have a few things wrong :)
Clay -> BD -> ClayBlock -> Turntable -> Unfired-Urn -> Kiln -> Urn -> Soulsand hopper + Soul dust -> Soul urn
Soul urn + Bloodwood sampling -> Bloodwood tree -> Saw -> Soul dust - This is unnecessary
Zombie trap -> Iron
You can get Carbon Powder (not coal dust anymore) by grinding coal, which you can farm using trees. The only unfarmable aspect is the clay, currently, and there is also the fact you need to transport soul dust to the overworld (or iron to the Nether).

Morvelaira: Yes, they will grow* in the overworld if you use soul urns on them :)

*Only the first stage of growth, and then it will stop. Still, that's about 6 logs, or 12 soul dust. Enough to make more than one Soul Urn. Yet the BD can't use the soul urn on them, only the player, sso automation isn't possible.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Oh wow, nerf suggesters get the stick nowadays? I better hide or something before the lynch mob gets me :P.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Nah, I only hate those whose suggested nerfs mess with automation. Anyways, back on topic, I found out that btb don't work for me when I tried to automate charcoal production.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

For what it's worth, the Kiln already can convert Wood into Charcoal.

With a tree farm that allows trees to grow naturally, every step can be fully automated except for, as Itamarcu suggests, carrying Iron to the Nether or carrying soul dust to the Overworld. There is no place in which both of these resources can be acquired automatically.

Erm, and the clay.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

morvelaira wrote:You're incorrect about bloodwood in the overworld. The saplings can be planted in soulsand planters in the overworld, but they'll never grow, even with soul urns.
I've just tested it and works.
More or less 6 logs per soul urn -> 12 soul dust -> 1'5 soul urns
Itamarcu wrote:You can get Carbon Powder (not coal dust anymore) by grinding coal, which you can farm using trees.

How do u automate Logs to charcoal? That's what I was talking about.

The only unfarmable aspect is the clay, currently, and there is also the fact you need to transport soul dust to the overworld (or iron to the Nether).

Not really, the soul urn method will allow you to get soul dust in the overworld.

Morvelaira: Yes, they will grow* in the overworld if you use soul urns on them :)

*Only the first stage of growth, and then it will stop. Still, that's about 6 logs, or 12 soul dust. Enough to make more than one Soul Urn. Yet the BD can't use the soul urn on them, only the player, sso automation isn't possible.

So we will need a way to automate the soul urn right click on bloodwood trees, a way to transform wood into charcoal automatically and include a clay automatition to get full automatic SFS production.
PS: this is offtopic, not suggestion forums, so I dont think there is a risk to discuss what step aren't posible to automate SFS

PS2: can anyone confirm the kiln log -> charcoal transformation?
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

Siege Wizard wrote:PS2: can anyone confirm the kiln log -> charcoal transformation?
I can confirm that, if you search these forums you'll find an automatic charcoal factory I made in BTW.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Siege Wizard wrote:
morvelaira wrote:You're incorrect about bloodwood in the overworld. The saplings can be planted in soulsand planters in the overworld, but they'll never grow, even with soul urns.
I've just tested it and works.
More or less 6 logs per soul urn -> 12 soul dust -> 1'5 soul urns
Itamarcu wrote:You can get Carbon Powder (not coal dust anymore) by grinding coal, which you can farm using trees.

How do u automate Logs to charcoal? That's what I was talking about.

The only unfarmable aspect is the clay, currently, and there is also the fact you need to transport soul dust to the overworld (or iron to the Nether).

Not really, the soul urn method will allow you to get soul dust in the overworld.

So we will need a way to automate the soul urn right click on bloodwood trees, a way to transform wood into charcoal automatically and include a clay automatition to get full automatic SFS production.
PS: this is offtopic, not suggestion forums, so I dont think there is a risk to discuss what step aren't posible to automate SFS

PS2: can anyone confirm the kiln log -> charcoal transformation?
You CAN burn logs to get charcoal.
You CANNOT automate Bloodwood Trees in the Overworld because of the BD-not-using-soul-urn limitation
You CANNOT automate Iron in the Nether because there aren't any zombies or Iron Golems.
You CANNOT automate clay, not even with Nether Sludge (when it functioned as clay)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

But, assuming that BTB Intake Pipes will operate on Ender Chests (which would most likely require Mojang to decide not to have player-specific Ender Chests after all), then if you publish your SSP world and have another player stay in the Nether indefinitely to keep chunks loaded, there exists a theoretical future in which, playing Better than Wolves with Better Then Buildcraft installed, the gathering of clay will be the only step not possible to automate! Oh, what wonders!
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Itamarcu wrote:
Siege Wizard wrote:So we will need a way to automate the soul urn right click on bloodwood trees, a way to transform wood into charcoal automatically and include a clay automatition to get full automatic SFS production.
You CAN burn logs to get charcoal.
You CANNOT automate Bloodwood Trees in the Overworld because of the BD-not-using-soul-urn limitation
You CANNOT automate Iron in the Nether because there aren't any zombies or Iron Golems.
You CANNOT automate clay, not even with Nether Sludge (when it functioned as clay)
That is basically what I said ;) Now with the wood -> charcoal production done, just the right-clicking and clay issues left.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Maybe if we poke FC with enough sticks, he'll look at the idea and at least dignify it with a "no, and here's why..."
To the suggestions thread!
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Wait a second! Can't villages can be created in the nether, and therefore get iron golems spawning from enough villagers?

Edit: Oh, wait, I'm a dumass, there is no way to get villagers in the Nether.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Not just
villager in Nether = No

You can´t build a house, because their is no way to see the sky.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Horizon wrote:Maybe if we poke FC with enough sticks, he'll look at the idea and at least dignify it with a "no, and here's why..."
To the suggestions thread!

Thou shalt not poke Fc with any manner of stick.

He has his ideas, give him time and space.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said