Non infinite fire duration

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
rusky

Non infinite fire duration

Post by rusky »

I've recently started a new world with BTB, and it's, as usual, a lot of fun.

I've just got to the point where i set up my first wind mill, and I'm looking into tanning some leather.
Problem is, I don't have a nether portal up yet, so no netherrack. I was thinking though, that some planks or logs would suffice to tan some pieces of leather for now, alas they do not seem to (I even tried setting fire to a 3x3 grid of planks).

Perhaps I should've put this in the suggestion forum instead, but if I am missing something it wouldn't be necessary.

Is there some way of creating temporary fire that allows the operation of the stewing pot prior to going to the nether ?

If not, would increasing the duration the fire lasts when using, say, logs, be a good idea ? I believe it currently lasts just enough to not allow cooking/tanning stuff.
SterlingRed

Re: Non infinite fire duration

Post by SterlingRed »

Going to the nether in order to advance through the tech tree is an intended part of the mod. There isn't an alternative or temporary way around it that I'm aware of nor should there be. Fire duration/spread is likely not something fc would modify for something like this. Keep in mind btw is intended as a complement to vanilla, and thus going through the normal vanilla gameplay is the best way to get started with this mod. Tools, resource gathering, shelter, nether, bit of farming, etc.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

If you have buckets, you can just cast a nether portal, go in, gather some netherrack quickly, go out and voilà.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Well, the first tanned leather I made, was with some dirt, and flint and steel.
I put the dirt in an 3*3 area under the stewing pot, and made them burning.
When the fire goes out, I made them burning again. So that there is at least one dirt still burning.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Elevatator wrote:Well, the first tanned leather I made, was with some dirt, and flint and steel.
I put the dirt in an 3*3 area under the stewing pot, and made them burning.
When the fire goes out, I made them burning again. So that there is at least one dirt still burning.
If this works now, I think it could be not intended, as FC has said that he likes the user to interact with the nether.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Honestly I dont see a problem with having access to the stewing pot pre-nether. AFAIK you need hibachis to be able to stoke the fire so you need the nether to make progress anyway.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Tekei wrote:Honestly I dont see a problem with having access to the stewing pot pre-nether. AFAIK you need hibachis to be able to stoke the fire so you need the nether to make progress anyway.
that is true. you can only stoke with hibachis. And the fact that it is a pain in the arse to keep a stewing pot going before netherack, so I don't really think that anything needs to be modified.
And HOW!
rusky

Post by rusky »

SterlingRed wrote:Going to the nether in order to advance through the tech tree is an intended part of the mod. There isn't an alternative or temporary way around it that I'm aware of nor should there be. Fire duration/spread is likely not something fc would modify for something like this. Keep in mind btw is intended as a complement to vanilla, and thus going through the normal vanilla gameplay is the best way to get started with this mod. Tools, resource gathering, shelter, nether, bit of farming, etc.
I can respect that. Still, it feels a bit silly not being able to use wood to cook stuff, I mean that's one of the more basic things people did with fire thousands of years ago, and I can't imagine it breaking the BTW design in any way since it would just be a temporary solution for the very early game.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Setting fire to wood sure is a lot more logical than setting fire to dirt. Not sure if its worth any change in vanilla behaviour though an lessening the cooking time for the stewing pot may not be optimal either. As already mentioned, getting netherrack isnt that big of a deal.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Your issue is not with BTW, but with vanilla behavior. Wood does not burn for very long. If it did, we might end up with the problem once again of biome-spanning forest fires.

"It makes sense" is not alone a good reason for a suggestion. I see no reason to burn wood when you can just as freely create a fire on cobble or dirt if you're that desperate. Which, by the way, if you're doing that, the cooking gauge will reset every time the center fire dies.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

I'm pretty sure I've used wood as a 'fuel' early on when I didn't have netherrack yet. It doesn't always last long enough, but a few tries usually give you the tanned leather you need to get started. If that doesn't work anymore, then the mechanics changed and I would've expected to see it mentioned in the changelogs.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Hmmm, I did the same thing in one of my btw games using logs to heat the underside of a cauldron and cook eggs as well as tan and as long as you periodically throw new logs in and restart the fire you can cook individual items somewhat effectively.

If you trying to tan 30 units of leather with 4 or 5 logs via a fire and forget method it just isn't going to work. Your going to have to watch the fire periodically and your going to lose some cooking progress when logs disintegrate before they've cooked 1 unit.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

You can do it, but remember to always have the center log burning. The others just speed up the process.

You obviously need to get to the Nether, but until then this should work. Also, it may just be me but I got better results by using logs instead of planks.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

This whole thing with clickfest and Flint and Steel feels like a huge exploit. Exploits should be announced to FC so he can fix them, not encouraged. Going to the Nether is a large part of the mod(Netherrack anyone?) and trying to bypass that isn't helping anyone, especially new players.
If you want to cook food with wood use a furnace dude.

Make a portal, go to the Nether, don't try to hax your way out of it. The Nether is a very dangerous place, especially early on, FC wants you to die a horrible fiery death, FC knows best.
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

It's a tedious, non-sustainable way of producing a few tanned leather. Trust me... doing it a few times only strengthens your urge to go to the nether and find some netherrack. All it means is that you can get started on the saw and its ilk a bit earlier (for example if you're lucky enough to spawn near wolves and cows, yet unlucky enough to not find diamonds in the first ten tunnels you dig). I'd hardly call it an exploit.

To be honest, I consider eternally burning netherrack closer to an exploit than chunks of whatever that only burn for a bit.
Kreyesh

Post by Kreyesh »

I dont see a problem with using wood to cook some food/tan some leather early on. Its only going to work on a very limited scale and you are eventually forced to go to the nether anyway. I dont see this as an exploit at all. It just makes sense to be able to temporarily heat your stewing pot with some wood etc before upgrading to better fuel.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I don't really consider it an exploit, plus it's just vanilla behavior that I've long since designed around.

One of the reason I switched stoked-fire to only being possible with a Hibachi was to make sure the tech-tree was bottle-necked at the Nether at that point if people used such techniques earlier on (plus, it also made wiring the Hibachi a more direct part of the game-play).

And to the OP: yes, this should have gone in the suggestion sub-forum, and no, I won't do anything like that.