Phase 5?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Poppycocks

Re: Phase 5?

Post by Poppycocks »

And maybe we need to build something there and defend it from the other anarchy players, which'd make hiding in anarchy less of an option and killing each other more of a certainty. This would actually also mean less searching for other peoples bases as you're bound to find someone at the spawn sooner or later.

I think that's a magnificent game mechanic. Anarchy with a bit of king'o'the kill.

Other than that, stop going in circles. You're like god-damn theater critics, trying to come up with meaning for things which have none.

It's been said over and over that the place where a stronghold is meant to be is on every map regardless if it's old or new - the weakpoint is there, whether the stronghold is or isn't. Also, AFAIK FC's also adding end portals. So that's that, everyone can go to the end now. AND FC already said that you're supposed to find the damn stronghold, I think I'll believe that one, as it's consistent with his other clues and some other things he talked about. Honestly, he's way less devious than some of us seem to think.

And that's all there's to it, really, stop looking for more, there isn't more. Find all of them damn strongholds and wait till FC throws us more tasty bones to chew on.
Catox

Post by Catox »

Poppycocks wrote:(...) Also, AFAIK FC's also adding end portals. (...)
and many things following this quite surprising statement.
You may want to add some kind of source or link...
There have been lots of talking about those 4 unique points, and I agree that it's been going circle for quite some time. But the circle always comes back to the idea that what is important is the place and not the monument that should be there.
I don't remember FC saying he was going to add end portals, and I don't see why he would add a building where it should be while saying at the same time that the buildings that should be there doesn't have to be there... (not sure this sentence is very clear, though :/ )
skrat6009

Post by skrat6009 »

Catox wrote: You may want to add some kind of source or link...
http://sargunster.com/btwforum/viewtopi ... =75#p72864
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

Catox wrote:
Poppycocks wrote:(...) Also, AFAIK FC's also adding end portals. (...)
and many things following this quite surprising statement.
You may want to add some kind of source or link...
There have been lots of talking about those 4 unique points, and I agree that it's been going circle for quite some time. But the circle always comes back to the idea that what is important is the place and not the monument that should be there.
I don't remember FC saying he was going to add end portals, and I don't see why he would add a building where it should be while saying at the same time that the buildings that should be there doesn't have to be there... (not sure this sentence is very clear, though :/ )
FlowerChild wrote:This conversation is getting a tad painful for me to watch, as it seems to be going full circle, so for my own sake, allow me to say:

It's the strongholds :)
FlowerChild wrote:
skrat6009 wrote:On that note, if FC has an old world, and if he (like myself) hates that you HAVE to find a stronghold in order to travel to the end, perhaps this IS a portal ... to the end. This way you can create a portal room that has both a portal to the nether and a portal to the end which may explain the nether portal in the picture. It would also make sense that it would be insanely expensive to build a portal to the end. This to me seems to bring together a lot of the ideas discussed so far.
Actually, that's a damn good idea. It's not at all what I'm working on, but a damn good idea none the less.

It totally solves the problem of not being able to include any end-resources in the mod because of their limited availability, as well as solving the problem with old worlds not being able to access the end that you mention.

I'll be immediately adding that one to my todo list for the future. Nice one dude. I'll be sure to give you credit for this one.
Edit: Ninja'd
Catox

Post by Catox »

Okay, thanks for those links.

Like FC said in this very quote, that's not what he was working on. So did he change his route during the 10 days or so between this quote and the thread about those 4 unique places ? It's possible, yes. Not certain, I'd say.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

To add one last bit of clarification...

Later in the "My Latest Build" thread, the individual who had the idea said he might want to do it instead. There was a little back and forth, and I think the original idea-haver gave up rights, but I made it a bit more muddy if FC will actually do this now.

Regardless, making end portals was clearly not part of FC's original plan since this idea came up on a thread dedicated devoted to teasing us about the update. Therefore, IF spawn and the strongholds are the four points (which I am very sure about from comments by FC shown above) and IF he is sending us to a different dimension (which I am MUCH less sure about) it won't be the End.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

If we're required to build anything at the 4th location, I very much hope it's not spawn. Simply because of the effects it would have on new players on SMP servers.
That said. I personally mostly play SMP every once in a while with friends in more of a cooperative way and Ive never really played on a server with people I didn't know personally so I don't think it will make much of a difference for me.

Either way I'm excited! :)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

morvelaira wrote:To add one last bit of clarification...

Later in the "My Latest Build" thread, the individual who had the idea said he might want to do it instead. There was a little back and forth, and I think the original idea-haver gave up rights, but I made it a bit more muddy if FC will actually do this now.

Regardless, making end portals was clearly not part of FC's original plan since this idea came up on a thread dedicated devoted to teasing us about the update. Therefore, IF spawn and the strongholds are the four points (which I am very sure about from comments by FC shown above) and IF he is sending us to a different dimension (which I am MUCH less sure about) it won't be the End.
Still, it's unimportant whether he does or not, but he does seem to like the idea of adding the end to the tech tree, and end portals would allow to at do just that on any world. It also makes sense FC story-wise. Think about it, if nether is the soul anus, then the end is the fat tissue. And end stone is what holds the souls. Sounds like what we will end up using for xp storage. Although I might be over thinking that a bit, after all, including the end is a recent development.

Other than that, the stronghold points are the important places and they are the important places on all maps - including those that don't have strongholds and end portals, this means it's a place where we are supposed to build something as opposed to simply using the portals.

In essence, people who think that stronghold=end portal=way home are plain wrong, it's more like stronghold points = way home and sometimes strongholds and end portals. I think FC used the term stronghold on purpose, as saying stronghold point would tell us too much. However he did imply as much with "weak points".

Lastly, I really like the spawn being one of the points for reasons I won't discuss as that would be talking about the issues of a feature which doesn't yet exist.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

NETHER is to SOUL ANUS as END is to ______________.

If feel just like I did after skipping 6 weeks of statistics in university.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

If the souls are in fact stored inside the End Stones, that would explain why the Enderdragon "eats" through them and destroys them when he is flying.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Um... Actually End stone is one of the few things he can't destroy...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Um... Actually End stone is one of the few things he can't destroy...
It's not part of official canon, and this isn't any form of hint whatsoever, but as an amusing aside, I've been thinking of end stone more and more as of late as being "dragon droppings" :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Any flavour End stone had was totally ruined when I read that the texture is a recoloured cobble texture :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Any flavour End stone had was totally ruined when I read that the texture is a recoloured cobble texture :P
Hehe...yeah, it looks like complete crap which is one of the reasons I've always been wondering what the heck it's supposed to be. It occurred to me a little while ago that it kinda looks like what happens to stone after pigeons shit all over it, hence the "dragon droppings" :)
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

I never really put much thought into what endstone is supposed to be...
However, I recently made a large structure that looked like a dragon skeleton, partially embedded in the ground. Endstone makes for a great fossil / bone texture.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Has spawn not been explicitly mentioned by FC as being one of the points? If it isn't one of the points maybe the new feature will allow us to triangulate.

But...

The spawn makes a whole lot of sense if a new dimension comes into play. It'll function more like a hallway than a door.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: It's not part of official canon, and this isn't any form of hint whatsoever, but as an amusing aside, I've been thinking of end stone more and more as of late as being "dragon droppings" :)
That's an interesting idea... Perhaps the endermen take pieces of the real world back to the dragon for him to consume?
Shmooooo

Post by Shmooooo »

Regarding uniqueness of purpose of the magic points: completing, say, Phase 1, could alter the nature of the other two points and the necessary interaction therewith. Thus Stronghold points - ostensibly identical before they're worked on - are not necessarily ruled out. After all, phases build on one another, and who's to say that tapping some wicked magic at one of a handful of critical locations won't make something go awry at the others?
BTW Wiki word wrangler, sentence surgeon, paragraph purger.

Bad writing is like a tangled string: it's easier to cut it than to untie it. Mediocre writing is like a loose string: you can pull it taut to have some left over. Good writing is a hemp fibre.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Shmooooo wrote:Regarding uniqueness of purpose of the magic points: completing, say, Phase 1, could alter the nature of the other two points and the necessary interaction therewith. Thus Stronghold points - ostensibly identical before they're worked on - are not necessarily ruled out. After all, phases build on one another, and who's to say that tapping some wicked magic at one of a handful of critical locations won't make something go awry at the others?
Dude... Lurk a lot less :)
I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, doing things at one point could mess with another. It would be an interesting mechanic, in terms of establishing control (The point you are taking may have been corrupted by activity from another), and in terms of interaction between factions (i.e., If you stop doing this ritual that will corrupt our base, we will give you 5 blocks of soulforged steel)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I think the people going in circles are latching onto FC mentioning unique in the same breath as location, whereas the implied idea seems to be that each machine at one of 4 fixed locations will be uniquely built or have unique effects (based on order they were activated perhaps), not that the locations themselves are unique.

It's the end portal locations and the spawn, regardless of whether there is an end portal there or not!

Also the height probably won't matter, so in multiplayer if people have built magnificent welcoming spawn buildings, the portal can be below or above it, nothing has to be destroyed. Also spawn point protection can always be disabled temporarily to build a device if required.
Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Um... Actually End stone is one of the few things he can't destroy...
It's not part of official canon, and this isn't any form of hint whatsoever, but as an amusing aside, I've been thinking of end stone more and more as of late as being "dragon droppings" :)

Ooh! We could collect it and throw it around! And perhaps the dragon could drop a huge leather! And we could scour and tan it and build a huge gimp suit/breeding harness for ghasts! And have the ghasts suspended over our beds! And then we could be all like "Aww, yeah! You big fat bastard, tickle me with your sweet tendrils or I'll really give you something to scream about. Then it's time to see if that big purty mouth of yours can't be made to change from spit to swallow"! And then I should probably get some more whiskey.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:Ooh! We could collect it and throw it around! And perhaps the dragon could drop a huge leather! And we could scour and tan it and build a huge gimp suit/breeding harness for ghasts! And have the ghasts suspended over our beds! And then we could be all like "Aww, yeah! You big fat bastard, tickle me with your sweet tendrils or I'll really give you something to scream about. Then it's time to see if that big purty mouth of yours can't be made to change from spit to swallow"! And then I should probably get some more whiskey.
Lol! About halfway through the above, I was thinking "Urian must be on a drunk".

Glad to have it confirmed by the end :)
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I am excited to see what this new smaller feature update is going to be :) nice to see all these tidbits of 4 points, and phase 5 stuff after being sick for the past 2 weeks.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I think it will be the nethersludge pottery. We'll be able to bottle XP with some kind of urn, and in the next phases we will need to use other kinds of pottery
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Niyu wrote:I think it will be the nethersludge pottery. We'll be able to bottle XP with some kind of urn, and in the next phases we will need to use other kinds of pottery
I am thinking the same way, this is all revolving around pottery.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.