what makes a good mod?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
deathzaplin

what makes a good mod?

Post by deathzaplin »

so, for a project on video games i am doing at school i have decided to explore video game modifications and while i do know what makes a good mod myself the project requires that i must use a variety of sources so i ask you what makes a good video game mod?

i posted here as this is mostly relating to minecraft and of course better than wolves (imo the best mod around) but opinions relating to other games and just mods in general would be greatly appreciated.

the end product for this will be a mod (likely a BTW addon) so any ideas for that would also be greatly appreciated, my modding skills are ok and but not spectacular and i don't want to make new blocks so quite basic ideas just adding some cool items is what i'm looking for
walker_boh_65

Re: what makes a good mod?

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I think that thing that makes a really good mod is not taking away from the feeling of the original game.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

An opinion of a mod depends on what you want from it. Some people swear by Equivalent Exchange, and others think it is so overpowered that it makes diamond armor look like leather armor. One thing every good mod has, however, is pacing. Taking Minecraft as an example, if you hand the player everything on a silver platter, such as Creative mode, it gets boring quickly. By making the player work for the items and blocks, you get them more involved and immersed in the gameplay.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

The thing that makes a good mod? That's easy! It's Flowerchild. What do I win?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Well, that really depends on what kind of mod you're talking about. There are technical mods (like Optifine, GUI mods for Skyrim and DF, and...Texture packs?) which are different, but if you are writing about "addition" mods, or "content" mods, I think the main things are:
-Keeps the "feeling" or the original game, or at least builds something upon the basis (Like the Aether, or ThaumCraft)
-Does not purely change a few variables, or add a cheat code/OP item
-Has a backstory, an explanation, a "theme" and/or a tech tree/advancement. Without them it's just a fun little block or weapon, or a random bunch of items that share nothing except maybe the fact they're all overpowered.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
deathzaplin

Post by deathzaplin »

Itamarcu wrote:Well, that really depends on what kind of mod you're talking about. There are technical mods (like Optifine, GUI mods for Skyrim and DF, and...Texture packs?) which are different, but if you are writing about "addition" mods, or "content" mods, I think the main things are:
yeah i was talking about content addition mods,

thanks for the responses guys, any ideas for a simple BTW add-on relating to the things you said
Sarudak wrote:The thing that makes a good mod? That's easy! It's Flowerchild. What do I win?
yes but sadly i am not Flowerchild and so i must consider other factors :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I think it would be very helpful if you narrow down exactly what you're looking for from us. Asking a broad question like, "what makes a good mod" seems to be looking for a broad, theoretical statement in response. On the other hand, you're looking for specific ideas for a mod for you to make.

Which is it? Both? Are you aiming to make a mod, or just concerned with the philisophical question?

(Just asking all this for clarity's sake.)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
LiquidAngel

Post by LiquidAngel »

I'd say that most good mods are the ones that adresses issues the game has. Optifine adresses performance issues, BTW adresses the technical aspect, some DF and Skyrim mods are trying to make the UI better, and so on. I'd say a good mod adresses some problem(s) the game has.

A "bad" mod is something that does something "just because", without really any reasoning behind, or problem to cover.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

deathzaplin wrote:any ideas for a simple BTW add-on?
Well, there is one mod I've always wanted to make, although it's not a "content" mod. My idea was something which automatically sorts out the items in the crafting grid when you place them, so that, for instance, if you place 2 wood and a rope it will automatically be in the shape of an axle, yet if you remove the rope it will become a stick. Something like that.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Hmmm... what makes a good mod...? Same thing as what makes a good movie... Explosions and boobs!

Of course i'm joking... sort of... but honestly, I'd have to agree with some of the previous comments that a good mod should add to the game without taking away from the original feel of it.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I know what makes a bad mod.

"Pupulism" :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Itamarcu wrote:I know what makes a bad mod.

"Pupulism" :)
Actually, that is a good one, it just needs to be phrased as the inverse: "Strong and Consistent Design Vision".
deathzaplin

Post by deathzaplin »

what about a mod that added simple variations on the normal minecraft mobs, it would still fit the feel of the mod as well as adding additional challenge my only problem with this would be that Flowerchild seems to be going to add more mobs for greater challenge but as i am not concerned with this as a long term project i don't think it will matter too much, anyone have ideas relating to simple variation on mobs, e.g fire archer skeletons
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

A skeleton that shot fire arrows like the enchant a player can have would be a simple variation in terms of design. No idea if it would be simple to program.
deathzaplin

Post by deathzaplin »

morvelaira wrote:I think it would be very helpful if you narrow down exactly what you're looking for from us. Asking a broad question like, "what makes a good mod" seems to be looking for a broad, theoretical statement in response. On the other hand, you're looking for specific ideas for a mod for you to make.

Which is it? Both? Are you aiming to make a mod, or just concerned with the philisophical question?

(Just asking all this for clarity's sake.)
it was both i am asking, the project requires a question to guide it in this case "what makes a good mod?" and for the project outcome i was planning to create a mod that took into account the answers to this philosophical question
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

deathzaplin wrote: it was both i am asking, the project requires a question to guide it in this case "what makes a good mod?" and for the project outcome i was planning to create a mod that took into account the answers to this philosophical question
Well, if making a mod is part of this, I'd ask you to make the decision as to whether it will be an add-on for BTW or not right now.

If not, then please take this discussion over to MCF instead.

Sorry man, I realize this is for an academic project here, but I've set a precedent with regards to this kind of thing, and as a result, need to apply this rule consistently.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Okay - two part answer then. :)

Firstly, if you want to know what makes a good mod, then you have to think about what a mod is. A mod is really just a modification to a game or other program. As such, to make a good mod, you really need to think about the things needed to make a good game. Now take that internal list and apply it to the game you want to modify. Does it meet these criteria in your opinion? Where is it lacking? If you can find a place where it falls short, then that is a good point to focus on with your mod.

TL;DR - a good mod is one that truly makes the game it is attached to better.

Secondly, it's relatively easy to apply this above method to BTW. Minecraft is a game with a lot of shortfalls, and FlowerChild being the professional he is has really done a lot with BTW to fill those shortcomings - to the point that BTW is /almost/ it's own game, and making it applicable to the process. If you want to think the entire process out, I'd love to see your results from the brain exercise. If you just want a programming project, though, pick something that will be simple but challenging for your skill level. :)

Edit: And as FlowerChild has said above, taking into consideration the wishes of the makers of the game you are modifying is important as well. ;)
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

A lot has been said about what makes a good mod, but a large part of what makes a good mod is a good modder.

There are a few qualities that I respect in other modders, and I thought I'd share a few of them:

*A respect for balance and a healthy appetite for challenge, as well as an eye for avoiding rendering existing vanilla elements TOTALLY obsolete.

*Identifying the demographic (tech savvy, RPG buff, shoot-em-up fan, wolfaboo) that this mod is meant for, and being a member of that demographic. Always be the type of person who would regularly play the mods you make.

*Being generally efficient with one's base class edits, making sure that there are no other options before proceeding in editing them, and going big with the changes they make. Can you do cool things without editing base classes? Awesome. Can you do AMAZING things WITH editing base classes? Again, awesome. Always ask yourself: "was it worth it?" and be sure the answer is "hell yes!"

*Being polite and non-competitive, never relishing when people drop another mod for yours, and offering help when you can. It should never be your goal to lure people away from similar mods.

Those are a few of the key qualities I respect most in other modders, just thought I'd share them :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
deathzaplin

Post by deathzaplin »

FlowerChild wrote:
deathzaplin wrote: it was both i am asking, the project requires a question to guide it in this case "what makes a good mod?" and for the project outcome i was planning to create a mod that took into account the answers to this philosophical question
Well, if making a mod is part of this, I'd ask you to make the decision as to whether it will be an add-on for BTW or not right now.

If not, then please take this discussion over to MCF instead.

Sorry man, I realize this is for an academic project here, but I've set a precedent with regards to this kind of thing, and as a result, need to apply this rule consistently.
ok i respect that and as i have gathered the advice from you guys i will get to work on the project and post here or on MCF when i have completed it

thanks to everyone for the advice