For a moment there, I forgot that BTW is a mod

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: For a moment there, I forgot that BTW is a mod

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Don't let them come in flower! Keep it secret! Keep it safe!
Don't worry man. For 99% of people, even noticing the link in the MCF OP is too much of a challenge ;)

EDIT: Also, just keep in mind that the vast majority of users of a game never post a single thing about it online. I strongly suspect that it's the same for mods. For example, I'd estimate I've posted anything at all about maybe 5% of the mods I've used in the past for other games.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Don't let them come in flower! Keep it secret! Keep it safe!
Don't worry man. For 99% of people, even noticing the link in the MCF OP is too much of a challenge ;)

EDIT: Also, just keep in mind that the vast majority of users of a game never post a single thing about it online. I strongly suspect that it's the same for mods. For example, I'd estimate I've posted anything at all about maybe 5% of the mods I've used in the past for other games.
BTW (and addons) are pretty much the only mods I give feedback on, mainly due to not liking the others due to personal preference (which isn't really something that needs to be said, some mods are for people,some aren't), others I don't even attempt because of Forge =P
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
th3m1ner

Post by th3m1ner »

BTW is my vanilla minecraft :)
I feel very lost without it
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

^This^

I tried playing the snapshot last week and got amazingly frustrated when I chucked wheat at my cows and they would not eat. Just one of those small features I was kind of taking for granted, so thank you for that one in particular.

Also spent about 20 minutes pulling my hair out trying to find hemp seeds.... yeah, that's how deep BTW is ingrained into my vMC experience.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Some of the tweaks BTW makes make me remember "oh, yeah, that's not vMC behaviour". Most recently, I was watching one of Etho's videos where he was breeding sheep, and I briefly wondered why he didn't just throw the wheat to the sheep (and why the breeding was so quiet).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

FlowerChild wrote:Hardly man. This is just our small sanctuary out in the woods, keeping us safe from the hordes. The traffic here is a drip in the bucket.
Yay I'm a drip! Er... No wait... Ew.

SSP, never without BTW. it's funny because BTW was one of the first mods I installed and I loved it. I figured if this Radom mod is awesome think of what amazing things must be out there. So I searched and searched... Nope. No way. No how.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Katalliaan wrote:Some of the tweaks BTW makes make me remember "oh, yeah, that's not vMC behaviour". Most recently, I was watching one of Etho's videos where he was breeding sheep, and I briefly wondered why he didn't just throw the wheat to the sheep (and why the breeding was so quiet).
That's the best one. My brain always ponders for few when watching the vids of peeps I'm suscribed to. I've mentioned here in the past how the breeding sound and particle make me giggle every time. When playing on smp on my friends private server, I can't count the times I've thrown wheat at animals. And of course they just have to turn and look at you funny.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

FlowerChild wrote: As I always say "tens to hundreds of thousands". That statement isn't based on accumulated downloads over all versions, it's based on the average number per release.
Wow. Assuming 5,000,000 people have bought Minecraft (of course, there are also pirates), and there are 100,000 BTW users, 1 of every 50 Minecraft users uses (or at least downloads) Better Than Wolves. That's pretty amazing.
Oh, and 1 of every 50 of them is also a forum user.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Scarrboros

Post by Scarrboros »

I doubt that all guys who download it gets it to work the first time, and some may be derpy and download it again instead of fetching the last file instead.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well yes, some people may download a given version multiple times, but I would consider that the exception rather than the norm.

Also, I'm not trying to compute or communicate precise numbers here. That's why my estimates are so broad. I'm fine with just having a very rough idea of the size of user-base I'm dealing with. Considering individuals that may download multiple times really isn't relevant to that.
Itamarcu wrote: Wow. Assuming 5,000,000 people have bought Minecraft (of course, there are also pirates), and there are 100,000 BTW users, 1 of every 50 Minecraft users uses (or at least downloads) Better Than Wolves. That's pretty amazing.
Oh, and 1 of every 50 of them is also a forum user.
Well, again, it's active players. The total sales of MC do not consist solely of active players. Similarly, the total number of people that have ever downloaded BTW over all versions is much higher, although I have no real way of computing that, and no particular desire to do so.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

It must feel good to have created something that so many people enjoy.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Sarudak wrote:It must feel good to have created something that so many people enjoy.
Yeah, FC is almost as successful in that regard as Steve Shubin!
*waits for people to google it*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:It must feel good to have created something that so many people enjoy.
Well, sure, but having worked so long as a professional developer, the numbers really don't mean much to me anymore because I'm used to dealing with much larger user-bases. The only time I'm keenly aware of the overall numbers involved is when I'm considering a change that might break existing builds or what have you.

What tends to mean more to me is the individual stories of people that really appreciate what I'm doing, so mainly what comes from the community on these forums. It's much easier to relate to individuals than to trying to wrap your head around obscene numbers and envision how many football-stadiums full of people you are dealing with or what have you :)