Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: Heh, oops. I've been out of the loop then.

He's not the only one I tweeted though, he's just the only one who's replied so far.

So in that case, who's working on the entity AI? Or are they just not touching it?
Wait...is that the "AI guy" they hired a short-while back? I actually find it strangely reassuring if he's been pulled from the project, as I've always been an opponent of more sophisticated AI in MC, and it would be nice to know that I want have to futz anymore with the code for disabling the activation distance on AI and such.

It's weird as fuck that they'd pull him while the code is yet incomplete, but it suits my purposes at least :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

1. Description of the single player LAN is already up in the main post (do you guys even read that anymore? XD)

2. And yeah, jonkagstrom is the "AI Guy". He was pulled to work on Scrolls several months ago, and as such hasn't been doing anything interesting with MC. He tweets occasionally that squids and "finishing villager AI" are at the top of his to-do list when he comes back, but it doesn't look like that will happen until well after the release of Scrolls.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Urian

Post by Urian »

morvelaira wrote:1. Description of the single player LAN is already up in the main post (do you guys even read that anymore? XD)
Err... how much trouble will we be in if we say no? :p I do tend to check it quite often but I admit to being lazy and just going to the latest unread post for the most part.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

*sigh* It really just makes me wonder why I bother to maintain the OP.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote: Heh, oops. I've been out of the loop then.

He's not the only one I tweeted though, he's just the only one who's replied so far.

So in that case, who's working on the entity AI? Or are they just not touching it?
Wait...is that the "AI guy" they hired a short-while back? I actually find it strangely reassuring if he's been pulled from the project, as I've always been an opponent of more sophisticated AI in MC, and it would be nice to know that I want have to futz anymore with the code for disabling the activation distance on AI and such.

It's weird as fuck that they'd pull him while the code is yet incomplete, but it suits my purposes at least :)
At least somebody's happy about it...

I'm scared that it means that the AI will stay broken for the next several months at least, since pretty much nobody wants to touch that mess :(
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
M!C

Post by M!C »

morvelaira wrote:*sigh* It really just makes me wonder why I bother to maintain the OP.
For the record. ;)

No seriously, it rapidly becomes a recource for checking when what was announced/implemented.
Not sure how many people need such a thing but it's always nice to have for a wave of nostalgia.
Urian

Post by Urian »

M!C wrote:
morvelaira wrote:*sigh* It really just makes me wonder why I bother to maintain the OP.
For the record. ;)

No seriously, it rapidly becomes a recource for checking when what was announced/implemented.
Not sure how many people need such a thing but it's always nice to have for a wave of nostalgia.
Yeah, that's pretty much how i see it as well. The OP is a great way to keep track of the various stuff that's being discussed in the thread itself.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: 2. And yeah, jonkagstrom is the "AI Guy". He was pulled to work on Scrolls several months ago, and as such hasn't been doing anything interesting with MC. He tweets occasionally that squids and "finishing villager AI" are at the top of his to-do list when he comes back, but it doesn't look like that will happen until well after the release of Scrolls.
Wow, I totally missed that, and am actually surprised it didn't kick up a fuss in the community.

Anyways, like I said, this is a good thing from my perspective, as I was under the impression that AI was still in active development, which could mean that my changes to AI activation distance might start causing performance problems if the AI continued to get more complex. I'm also happy to know that they are then unlikely to fuck around anymore with how mobs interact with mob-traps.

Looks like it will stay this way for the foreseeable future.

Hehe...I think Raust just got more reason to be pissed off about what they did to the Wolf AI though. I was under the impression that was just because it was a "work in progress", and that it would get sorted with time. Guess not :)
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...I think Raust just got more reason to be pissed off about what they did to the Wolf AI though. I was under the impression that was just because it was a "work in progress", and that it would get sorted with time. Guess not :)
FC, if your interviews have opened my eyes to ANYTHING, it's that "work in progress" has little to no meaning to Mojang, and they often can't distinguish the wide range of values between "unpresentable" and "done". I had prepared myself for this eventuality, though it is sad to see it confirmed like that.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: FC, if your interviews have opened my eyes to ANYTHING, it's that "work in progress" has little to no meaning to Mojang, and they often can't distinguish the wide range of values between "unpresentable" and "done". I had prepared myself for this eventuality, though it is sad to see it confirmed like that.
Yeah, I hear you man. Same reason I'm so nervous about extended block IDs, and texture indices. With the latter though, at least I'm hopeful it will get done soon(ish), because if you look at the vanilla texture-sheet, Mojang itself is rapidly running out of them with all the new aesthetic blocks they've been adding as of late.

Same thing with the client/server integration. They're too far along the path already to turn back, and people will go nuts on them if the current problems linger, as it will be a real step back for the game if they do.

As always though, the puzzling part about moving the AI guy off the project is the whole thing about MC being Mojang's cash-cow. They're seeming unwillingness to give it the attention it deserves always leaves me scratching my head, as to me, it's a once in a lifetime business opportunity, and the money it generates will ultimately be what funds the development of their more "experimental" projects, like Scrolls. I guess when your first real game is an unbelievable success, the tendency is to think that kind of thing happens every day, and that you'll be able to pull it off again and again.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:As always though, the puzzling part about moving the AI guy off the project is the whole thing about MC being Mojang's cash-cow. They're seeming unwillingness to give it the attention it deserves always leaves me scratching my head, as to me, it's a once in a lifetime business opportunity, and the money it generates will ultimately be what funds the development of their more "experimental" projects, like Scrolls. I guess when your first real game is an unbelievable success, the tendency is to think that kind of thing happens every day, and that you'll be able to pull it off again and again.
Honestly, I think they're making a fundamental business mistake. I think they're assuming they've either already made most of the money they're going to off of Minecraft, or that they don't realize they actually /have/ to do things to continue to promote their product. It's a rolling steam train now, but if they don't set things up properly, the party will dry up a long time before they're ready for it.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

morvelaira wrote:-snip-
Morv, I am disappoint. Reply number 1337, and you didn't even realize. *tsk*
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Hon, 1337 was a long time ago and I don't care. That says 1837... well 1838 now.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I'm kind of surprised Zynga hasn't made a minecraft clone by now, same game play, a bit more polish, plus buy diamonds with real money and so on. MC has grossed something like 200 million now? That's to much money to ignore for very long, especially when it seems like mojang isn't really paying attention.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Minecraft sells something like 10k copies per day according to Mojang's homepage. I wouldn't be surprised if they're somewhat confused by the success and therefore hesitant to do many major changes in the fear that it will break the spell. There is probably also a good chance that at the moment they're focusing on the fusion of single and multi player (which woul alo mean that rewriting other major stuff now would lead to extra work later)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

But a couple of months ago, they weren't adding things that they thought everyone requested but they were still getting consistent 5k plus buys every day.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Ruinous

Post by Ruinous »

Well while minecraft may not be able to compete profit wise without more time and effort invested, especially versus 'blockbuster' games like skyrim or professionally maintained/updated games like WoW, every initial member of Mojang is now pretty rich, more so than they could ever hope holding a similar job in the non-indie market; that may well cut away at the desire to 'finish' minecraft, they feel they have already 'won'.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Ruinous wrote:Well while minecraft may not be able to compete profit wise without more time and effort invested, especially versus 'blockbuster' games like skyrim or professionally maintained/updated games like WoW, every initial member of Mojang is now pretty rich, more so than they could ever hope holding a similar job in the non-indie market; that may well cut away at the desire to 'finish' minecraft, they feel they have already 'won'.
What makes you sure there are rich ? How you define rich ?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Well... $200 million in a period of three years split between what, 6 people?, is considered rich by most accounts.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Split..? Notch got most of it actually, the rest are just employees.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Catox

Post by Catox »

I remember he did share a big amount of money from 2011 at the beginning of this year.
There was already a small debate on those forums about whether or not this amount made those employees rich or not.
th3m1ner

Post by th3m1ner »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Split..? Notch got most of it actually, the rest are just employees.
....how many employees are there to spilt it with?
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

According to this article it left eache employee with $50k after tax, but I'm not sure he split it with that many employees. It sure was a nice amount of cash, but definitely not enough to make them rich or set for life.
Urian

Post by Urian »

You do realize that wasn't the earnings or his paycheck, right? It was the dividend on the stocks he owns in Mojang that generated $3M. Anyway, this thread is for news and that is olds.
RaustBlackDragon

Just saw this on twitter, lucky me, I had been messaging him at the time :)

http://www.mojang.com/2012/06/minecraft ... t-week-24/
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?