FlowerChild: MC Forge + ItemSpriteAPI.. Requires a Patch!

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Yushatak

FlowerChild: MC Forge + ItemSpriteAPI.. Requires a Patch!

Post by Yushatak »

MC Forge is now required for BTW as of 2.90. FlowerChild chose to adopt this API due to a line of reasoning which I totally agree with. However, lots of mods use APIs that conflict with MC Forge (hopefully the number of APIs that conflict isn't too high..), and need patches to inter-operate until (and if :P) MC Forge gains enough ground to be the standard. As such, ItemSpriteAPI is the first I've come across. Both modify bb and ra for very likely the exact same purposes, so a simple API translation wrapper from ItemSpriteAPI->MC Forge could fix the incompatibilities. I am not a Java coder. I know a little bit, I could probably make some MC Mods, but I can't do this, not yet anyway..

FlowerChild, as one of the MC Forge devs and the author of BTW, which now is incompatible with lots of mods that use various other APIs, is a good candidate to make such a patch, I'd think.
Zhil

Re: FlowerChild: MC Forge + ItemSpriteAPI.. Requires a Patch

Post by Zhil »

Scokeev is almost certainly joining the Forge API core maintainers group, so a fix will be made, don't worry.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Urian

Post by Urian »

Gilberreke wrote:Scokeev is almost certainly joining the Forge API core maintainers group, so a fix will be made, don't worry.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Scokeev seems to be a bit... bipolar... about forge. In some posts he says that it's fine and to ask him about help regarding support for his mods, then a little later he posts:
Yep, we'll probably talk again after ScotTools dies along with all of my other mods that use ScotTools because of compatibility issues. I really would like to thank you for ruining my mods, and I hope you can please reconsider being courteous to at least one proud modder who has never had any previous experience in Java, and just wants his mods to be compatible.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I get my info straight from Scokeev, not some random forum post he made a few days ago :p
Urian

Post by Urian »

Ok, good then :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I'll ask for the exact details if I see him, I know there were still some small issues to be resolved.
Yushatak

Post by Yushatak »

I contacted him myself without knowing that, but I'm quite relieved to hear that. I've been talking to people like 303, and unfortunately they don't see the need for a unified API, nor the benefits to the community that embracing it could/would bring. They also don't think MC Forge will "catch on".. I was unsure, but when BTW picked it up I was sure that it was at least to be taken seriously.. Just thought I'd let everybody know what my experience with other modders and MC Forge has been, since I'm not sure that anybody else has talked to that crowd about it person to person (in IRC, anywho).
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Most people in Risucraft don't really care for MC Forge man, it's sad that they don't realize that support from IC, BC, RP and BTW already means it's bigger than SAPI.

And yeah, I'm on IRC all the time too ;)