Your most misguided building venture?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Supernaut

Your most misguided building venture?

Post by Supernaut »

Whilst having a look at people's creations, it hit me that we generally only share our success stories (for obvious reasons). But why not our disasters or mishaps? At the very least for comic value ;)

My worst idea so far was a glass library of sorts within my enclosure, but blanketed by lava on all sides and glass surrounded lava columns falling into a covered pool inside...It took a day or 2 of intermittent playing to design and make. It ended up just being an eyesore, and useless to boot, the bookcases caught fire despite the glass much to my displeasure! :( I'd also intended to have it lined with wood, but I doubted that it would survive and better than the bookcases
Spoiler
Show
and then inside
Spoiler
Show
And to end with something which wasn't a failure, my abode!
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show

So, any other takers? :)
Sky_Som

Re: Your most misguided building venture?

Post by Sky_Som »

I don't have pictures of it, but I built an apartment building. It was a good size( like 100x100x3 stories.) It was completely made of wood and I decided to build a fire place. It burnt 90% of the building down
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
wolf

Post by wolf »

hmm i never really take photos of my failures looks like im gonna have to start o_o
Supernaut

Post by Supernaut »

Sky_Som wrote:I don't have pictures of it, but I built an apartment building. It was a good size( like 100x100x3 stories.) It was completely made of wood and I decided to build a fire place. It burnt 90% of the building down
Haha that made me lol! I feel your pain though, but on a much smaller scale...wooden guard tower combined with a lava waterfall from the castle walls nearby makes for a surprisingly big fire. Minecraft puts the fear of fire into you like real life never could.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Flying Sandcastle. I didn't turn the game to peaceful.

Sssssssplash into the ocean...
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Urian

Post by Urian »

On my first world I had a fireplace. It was well protected, brick all around it and the house was build of stone so I thought I was safe. I wasn't. I'd forgotten about the fireplace and started a tree farm next to my house (this was way before bonemeal so I just planted the saplings and went elsewhere). One tree grew close enough to the house that it caught fire from the fireplace... the fire spread through my whole tree farm and reached my storage house made out of wood. I wasn't a happy camper :p
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Demonwolf002

Post by Demonwolf002 »

Also didn't take pics but had made a road about four blocks wide cant tell you how long to be honest don't remember. Anyways thought it would look better with fences all the way down it. So did it looked nice figured it might also be cool if there was a lava flow along the sides of a certain part of the road got a small part set up left to get more lava came back and the fence was gone in that area went back down the road to see what happened. (was new to minecraft at the time so didn't know it was the lava) To my dismay caught up to the fire and figured it out, but by that time most of the fence along the road was gone as well as a couple of my store houses close to them so was also not a happy camper. Live and learn I guess. :)
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

I decided I wanted to build a European style windmill, I sank TONS of hours into its construction (It started cubic, then I went to round, and have been working on an elevator in the center) ONce I finally got this bad boy finished, I hopped down from it to see what it looked like from the ground...
Spoiler
Show
Whaddya know, completely phallic -.- Dam my sub-par building skills to hell.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

diegokilla wrote:I decided I wanted to build a European style windmill, I sank TONS of hours into its construction (It started cubic, then I went to round, and have been working on an elevator in the center) ONce I finally got this bad boy finished, I hopped down from it to see what it looked like from the ground...
Spoiler
Show
Fapfapfa-- I mean what?

Jk, but yeah, it does look, unfortunately, like a gigantic wind-harnessing penis. Oh the joys of building with concentric circles...
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
ToonYoshi

Post by ToonYoshi »

Built the biggest effing castle ever. Made out of wood.

Should I say any more?
Last edited by ToonYoshi on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

I was building a very complicated slot machine on this SMP server.... it took about a week to make it work. I decided my hotel needed a fountain by the slot machine. I dug too far down and washed about half my redstone away, about 200 of it.
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Gdnite wrote:I was building a very complicated slot machine on this SMP server.... it took about a week to make it work. I decided my hotel needed a fountain by the slot machine. I dug too far down and washed about half my redstone away, about 200 of it.
Did you contact an admin about it? Depending on the server, things like that can sometimes be fixed with roll-backs/BigBrother.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

I wish it worked that way, but no big brother tells you who destroyed it, and rollbacks only work on a previous save, on top of that I was an admin on that server lol.
Ele

Post by Ele »

Chalk up another one to the wooden buildings.

I have a strange fascination with tree houses, made out of huge forests. Minimum amount of modifying, usually just flattening a layer of leaves, and building a wooden hut in it. One time I dared fate with a brick fireplace, and the rest is history. Ended up spreading so bad, there was fire as far as the game could render.

Quite the rewarding experience.
Verloren

Post by Verloren »

Ele wrote:Chalk up another one to the wooden buildings.

I have a strange fascination with tree houses, made out of huge forests. Minimum amount of modifying, usually just flattening a layer of leaves, and building a wooden hut in it. One time I dared fate with a brick fireplace, and the rest is history. Ended up spreading so bad, there was fire as far as the game could render.

Quite the rewarding experience.
I made one of those giant trees similar to Avatar at one point. Built a series of levels and put down a torch that somehow sparked a fire that climbed up the entire tree. The bad news was that I was at the very top when the fire started and there was no water around.

Now I'm somewhat inspired to do a Swiss family Robinson build.
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

diegokilla wrote:I decided I wanted to build a European style windmill, I sank TONS of hours into its construction (It started cubic, then I went to round, and have been working on an elevator in the center) ONce I finally got this bad boy finished, I hopped down from it to see what it looked like from the ground...
Spoiler
Show
*creeper voice* That's a very nice brick dick you have there.

As for me, my most misguided adventure was a stone castle involving much lava and wood, though I kept them apart. I did not, however, remember to light the dungeon, and a creeper spawned in it. The hole he blew in the ceiling let lava go pouring into my mines, and my mineshaft was the only way up to the castle from my spawn point.