Better Than Compatibility?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RaustBlackDragon

Better Than Compatibility?

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/125 ... msearch__1

This... is... huh...

I can't find any forge files in the download, just a lot of base class edits. But that image of the anvil in the items list can't be a texture swap, though it might be photo-shopped...

Whaddya think? Real? Fake? And above all else, allowed?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Better Than Compatibility?

Post by Sarudak »

Is it allowed? If and only if he doesn't edit any of FCs code. But I don't see how that could be...
RaustBlackDragon

Sarudak wrote:Is it allowed? If and only if he doesn't edit any of FCs code. But I don't see how that could be...
From what I can imagine, this would consist of taking FC's code unchanged, at least the base class edits, and adding it over the forge edits. That's not TECHNICALLY editing FC's code, but really, technically kinda loses a lot of meaning at that stage.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

No sorry. That's not allowed either. It cannot edit any of his code and it cannot be a redistribution of his code...
RaustBlackDragon

Sarudak wrote:No sorry. That's not allowed either. It cannot edit any of his code and it cannot be a redistribution of his code...
I was pretty damn skeptical about it in the first place, just thought either way it should be brought to somebody's attention.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

The HavokSCOUT feels conflicted about this. On one hand, it means I could play IC, BC, TC, and BTW at the same time, but on the other, it looks EXTREMELY fishy.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/125 ... msearch__1

This... is... huh...

I can't find any forge files in the download, just a lot of base class edits. But that image of the anvil in the items list can't be a texture swap, though it might be photo-shopped...

Whaddya think? Real? Fake? And above all else, allowed?

Real or fake, it's wrong. Definitely not something FC wants to allow with his work, I'm certain.

Though the point may become moot someday when the API comes out (someday, *snerk*), the dude is still a jerk for snippeting the code and redistributing. Major no-no.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Posted to his thread about it. He isn't doing anything wrong.
RaustBlackDragon

Ulfengaard wrote: Though the point may become moot someday when the API comes out (someday, *snerk*), the dude is still a jerk for snippeting the code and redistributing. Major no-no.
Eh, I'm not so keen on just dismissing the guy as a "jerk". Wrong or not, I seriously doubt that his primary motivation in releasing this was to spite FC.

I just don't like automatically thinking the worst of people.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, and BTW, outside of this thread anyone recommending this mod to anyone else, or discussing its use on these forums will have their post deleted, and be warned and/or banned.

I will absolutely not support this thing.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

*waffles*

Btw + Thaumcraft just seems like so much awesome... I don't know what to do...
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:Oh, and BTW, outside of this thread anyone recommending this mod to anyone else, or discussing its use on these forums will have their post deleted, and be warned and/or banned.

I will absolutely not support this thing.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't plan on using it, but just to clarify, does this also involve mentioning a scenario which could only be true through use of this mod, such as describing a funny story involving a forge mod, etc?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I don't plan on using it, but just to clarify, does this also involve mentioning a scenario which could only be true through use of this mod, such as describing a funny story involving a forge mod, etc?
Yes. Any mention of using this mod.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Eww i cant believe someone would wanna mix BTW with some of those forge *cough redpow... cough* mods. :P
Never say no to Panda.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I don't think anyone here wants to mix btw with redpower... However something like thaumcraft or some of the many smaller forge mods has definite appeal.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Railcraft is what came to mind for me at first.... But on second thought I don't think I'll risk using it, considering what could happen in future releases that could possibly break worlds that were using this mod...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Panda wrote:Eww i cant believe someone would wanna mix BTW with some of those forge *cough redpow... cough* mods. :P
My thoughts exactly, actually. As stated before, BTW is meant to be played as a stand-alone mod—mixing it in with one of the bigger forge mods just wouldn't make a lot of sense, and it would ruin some of the gameplay elements.

I mean, I could imagine someone using it in order to get compatibility with Mo' Creatures, or ThaumCraft, or a smaller forge mod, or whatever, but... Still. I don't support this.
Last edited by Yamboyz1 on Wed May 30, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

jorgebonafe wrote:Railcraft is what came to mind for me at first.... But on second thought I don't think I'll risk using it, considering what could happen in future releases that could possibly break worlds that were using this mod...
Another good one!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Bans for discussing the ways in which to use this begin now.

I really don't give a shit if you bury it in a post talking about other stuff.

You've been warned.

Why is it people always decide to piss me off and distract me when I'm working on new content for their benefit? I just got raped here guys. I will not take kindly to doing a little happy dance about it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:Bans for discussing the ways in which to use this begin now.

I really don't give a shit if you bury it in a post talking about other stuff.

You've been warned.

Why is it people always decide to piss me off and distract me when I'm working on new content for their benefit?
Does that include this thread? Because previously you said outside of this thread. Perhaps you should lock this thread if you don't want people talking about it at all anywhere...

EDIT: In fact if it is pissing you off that much I would request you lock this thread. :)
Last edited by Sarudak on Wed May 30, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Does that include this thread? Because previously you said outside of this thread. Perhaps you should lock this thread if you don't want people talking about it at all anywhere...
Talking about it is one thing. Getting excited about potential uses is quite another.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

I'm suggesting a lock as well.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Talking about it is one thing. Getting excited about potential uses is quite another.
Sorry man. Didn't know you felt that way. :(
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Either way, it doesn't matter anymore, the thread on the MCF was deleted. :)

-Abraham Lincoln
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm guessing FC found out there was some of his code in there. Probably merged on a line-by-line basis. I rather suspected as much and was surprised by the idea that there wouldn't be...