"Anniversary Update" Speculation

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: "Anniversary Update" Speculation

Post by FlowerChild »

Just to be clear guys: Pinhead has nothing to do with this update. That was my response to being called cruel, and was NOT meant to be a hint :)
Punnikin wrote: If only I were a kid again. :P

If this was Pokemon, I'd have never started playing. Funny thing is, I had heard of BTW quite a while ago but never gave it a look. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the name of the mod is "Fuck that. I hate wolves."

Glad to see I was wrong, but I wish I had picked up on my misconception earlier. I've missed out on a lot of fun. Now, even in my state of almost total ignorance I find myself looking forward to this update. More stuff to blow up when I forget to turn things off is gonna be great.
Damn it man, you're probably the most coherent person I've seen mistake "Better Than Wolves" for "Better Wolves" :)

Glad you finally caught on to it though ;)
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

The Phoenixian wrote:So how long has the MCF OP called the steel and above age "[*** A New Age Dawns: The Return To Home ***]"?
How long has he been planning this? Isn't there MC flavor text about maybe Creepers being the good guys? I think it has been around for a long time too.

I also wonder what influence Dwarf Fortress will have on this "Home," as I think I remember FC claiming Dwarf Fortress as a source of inspiration.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Fuck, guys. If you've been paying attention, I think he's been planning this since before steel and the adventure update... if not before.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

morvelaira wrote:Fuck, guys. If you've been paying attention, I think he's been planning this since before steel and the adventure update... if not before.
It sounds a little like your saying that you've known this was going to happen all along...
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Folrig wrote:
morvelaira wrote:Fuck, guys. If you've been paying attention, I think he's been planning this since before steel and the adventure update... if not before.
It sounds a little like your saying that you've known this was going to happen all along...
Specifics? No, I don't know anything like that. But I do rather think I am a devoted evil minion, and i've been seeing signs that fall into this for a loooong time. Didn't know where they were going, but its clear they lead here.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Folrig wrote:It sounds a little like your saying that you've known this was going to happen all along...
Hehe...ah, now we're descending into full-blown suspicion and paranoia! I love it :)

But...she doesn't know squat. Neither does Battosay. I've been even more tight lipped on this particular release than any other. So no need to grill each other for information ;)
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

And what is if FC is just trolling, and it will be a silly c*ck joke?

Okay. Could be a shield, powered of soul energy?
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Elevatator wrote:And what is if FC is just trolling, and it will be a silly c*ck joke?
Thats far too big of a thing for even FC to pull off. ;)

Really, FC would never add this much hype to an update and then give us a wonderfully crafted penis joke, he would just do that during any old update.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

FlowerChild wrote:
Folrig wrote:It sounds a little like your saying that you've known this was going to happen all along...
Hehe...ah, now we're descending into full-blown suspicion and paranoia! I love it :)

But...she doesn't know squat. Neither does Battosay. I've been even more tight lipped on this particular release than any other. So no need to grill each other for information ;)
But trolling logic demands that someone might know. Except the whole honest-to-a-fault thing...

I submit the act of a full scale Spanish Inquisition just to be on the safe side. If that makes people too nervous we could attempt a version of the Salem Witch trials.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

At the time were everybody thought of an other dimension, I thought of an giant troll mob, that can only be killed with the banhammer of the ancients, wich needs parts from the other dimension.

Good to know that Fc is not that mad.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, a bit of a history lesson on BTW. Gil can actually back me up on this, as I was discussing it on and SMP server with him the night before it happened:

The only real troll release I've ever pulled was the Gimp Suit after the hype for the "A New Age" release.

The "New Age" was going to be steam power. I hummed and hawed over it a long time, and finally decided that it was far too soon in the mod's development to put Steam in. IMO, it would have clashed hugely with the existing tech, and been too much of a technological leap to preserve the vanilla feel of the mod.

BUT, I had already built up a lot of anticipation for that release before realizing the above. I felt rather trapped, as I knew people were expecting something big, yet what I had planned was no longer something I felt comfortable including in the mod at that point in time.

So, considering the options, I could either put Steam in anyways, which I didn't think was the right thing to do, try to come up with some other "big feature" on the spot to replace something I'd been planning for months, and probably wind up with something half-assed because it hadn't been properly thought out, or, I could accept that I fucked up, and put out a joke/troll feature and video to offset the disappointment people would inevitably feel with a good laugh.

As is probably apparent I opted for the latter. So, it wasn't all an elaborate troll (nor is this), rather me trying to make the best out of a bad situation that I had created for myself.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I think the only thing that hasn't been considered (that I can think of) is the possibility that the demented screaming beast at the end of the teaser video wasn't the companion cube, but steve.

Thoughts?
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

Folrig wrote:But trolling logic demands that someone might know. Except the whole honest-to-a-fault thing...

I submit the act of a full scale Spanish Inquisition just to be on the safe side. If that makes people too nervous we could attempt a version of the Salem Witch trials.
Wow. I honestly didn't expect that.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Azdoine wrote:I think the only thing that hasn't been considered (that I can think of) is the possibility that the demented screaming beast at the end of the teaser video wasn't the companion cube, but steve.

Thoughts?
I'm thinking the same, it is a home portal after all. Steve or something close of it's kin OR what drove him from home, might be doing the screaming.

However, many clues portray Steve as the truly evil one. Many additions to do the mod do the same. So where would evil Steve return to? What place is hellish enough that it's home to a being for which even the forces of the nether are playthings?
Catox

Post by Catox »

Clearly, for an Evil-Steve, a hellish place could take the form of a SuperHell, but it could as well be some kind of heaven place where he would be chased by angel-ponies armed with rainbow guns.
Yet, as ironico-sarcastico-trolling as it could be, I don't quite see FC doing this kind of thing ^___^;
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, a bit of a history lesson on BTW. Gil can actually back me up on this, as I was discussing it on and SMP server with him the night before it happened:

The only real troll release I've ever pulled was the Gimp Suit after the hype for the "A New Age" release.

The "New Age" was going to be steam power. I hummed and hawed over it a long time, and finally decided that it was far too soon in the mod's development to put Steam in. IMO, it would have clashed hugely with the existing tech, and been too much of a technological leap to preserve the vanilla feel of the mod.

BUT, I had already built up a lot of anticipation for that release before realizing the above. I felt rather trapped, as I knew people were expecting something big, yet what I had planned was no longer something I felt comfortable including in the mod at that point in time.

So, considering the options, I could either put Steam in anyways, which I didn't think was the right thing to do, try to come up with some other "big feature" on the spot to replace something I'd been planning for months, and probably wind up with something half-assed because it hadn't been properly thought out, or, I could accept that I fucked up, and put out a joke/troll feature and video to offset the disappointment people would inevitably feel with a good laugh.

As is probably apparent I opted for the latter. So, it wasn't all an elaborate troll (nor is this), rather me trying to make the best out of a bad situation that I had created for myself.
Never say no to Panda.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Poppycocks wrote: However, many clues portray Steve as the truly evil one. Many additions to do the mod do the same. So where would evil Steve return to? What place is hellish enough that it's home to a being for which even the forces of the nether are playthings?
Obviously steve is a deep one.
He has to take off his armor in the teaser to prevent his newfound tentacles from getting crushed against his body.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

FC is undoing Notch and Jeb's hard work to remove Herobrine every single update and bringing him to life. It's clear this is some Frankenstein-ian contraption.

Edit: Herobrine will come into the world bathed in nothing other than PLACENTA!! And lots of it!
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Azdoine wrote:Obviously steve is a deep one.
He has to take off his armor in the teaser to prevent his newfound tentacles from getting crushed against his body.
If this update really has anything to do with Lovecraftian... things... I'll probably have to cycle through pants while playing minecraft, from the sheer happiness I'll get out of it.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Catox wrote:Clearly, for an Evil-Steve, a hellish place could take the form of a SuperHell, but it could as well be some kind of heaven place where he would be chased by angel-ponies armed with rainbow guns.
Sorry for the offtopic, but after this comment I couldn't help myself...
Spoiler
Show
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

FlowerChild wrote:As is probably apparent I opted for the latter. So, it wasn't all an elaborate troll (nor is this), rather me trying to make the best out of a bad situation that I had created for myself.
And it certainly worked well with the Breeding Harness (that everyone seems to forget about when thinking of the Gimp Suit...)
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Panda wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:-snipped because massive quotes piss me off-
]
Ahh HA! So steam power WAS planned, finally the truth comes out!
risingphoenix

Post by risingphoenix »

I think a "Paradise Lost" kind of story fits perfectly here, but with a twist, steve as Lucifer, who after having a spat with whoever was in charge before gets kicked out to what we know as the overworld, who can utilize the souls stored in the nether, and after gaining power from defeating the guardian of the world "Ender Dragon" can take on the power that kicked him out in the first place. the "portal" we were talking about from the teaser video is actually a soul charger, giving steve the power of all the souls contianed in the SFS blocks. That would be really neat to play.
Pseudosavior wrote:
Azdoine wrote:Obviously steve is a deep one.
If this update really has anything to do with Lovecraftian... things... I'll probably have to cycle through pants while playing minecraft, from the sheer happiness I'll get out of it.
I know whenever I see sigs about how FlowerChild is some tentacled thing from beyond time and space with a spiny exoskeleton I always picture Cthulhu with a King Koopa shell. Probably not what was intended, as I find that picture amusing, but my mind works in mysterious ways.
IowaGuy wrote: Because if one is going to build a cow farm it should be a glorious automated symphony of cows doing the saw mill boogey.
demerzeliv

Post by demerzeliv »

Wow, I really liked reading everyone's ideas, I know all of our speculation is going to end up wrong but it got me thinking about things that I hadn't before! If I could add my two cents to the debate:

-After much thought, I'm going to have to come out against the idea of a completely new dimension. BTW in general has always been about adding cool and useful functionality over flashy but ultimately empty content. I also feel like a new dimension would make it difficult to tie in the new content with the old, something that has also been a big part of the mod at least in my view (new technology allows you to produce the same things but in different and more efficient ways to keep up with the resource-intensive nature of the new machines). This combined with Flowerchild's traditional aversion to changing terrain generation (for which I heartily thank him) and the fact that it just doesn't feel right makes me want to look for the source of the new block IDs in new functional blocks rather than new terrain.

-However, I do like the idea of Steve's world being radically changed, made more dangerous but at the same time offering more rewards. From what I remember of the teaser trailer and Flowerchild's hints, I got the feeling he was experimenting with the weather code. The thunder at the end of the video immediately suggested that a storm was coming, and the soulsteel contraption looks like the focus for something (think Dr. Frankenstein's machine, or the clock tower in Back to the Future). I think that once the machine is activated, the world will be covered in a perpetual thunderstorm, with mobs freely spawning in the new era of darkness, wolves and ocelots turning hostile, and electrical creepers becoming more common (via increasingly common lightning strikes). This would end all sun-based agriculture (if it hadn't been ended already), and having Nether mobs spawn might be a nice touch too (with hostile Zombie Pigmen of course!). But what possible benefit could Steve get from turning his potential Eden into a veritable Hell? A new source of power, which I had originally thought was steam but now am leaning more towards electricity (due to FC's admission deciding against steam in favor of the gimp suit XD). The catalyst could be an overcharged windmill, which would of course necessitate the construction of stronger steel gearboxes that don't break in a storm. I haven't the faintest idea what new machines could be powered by this, though, and that is a weakness in the "new power source" theory. Also, electricity is even farther away from mechanical power generation than steam is, so it might not fit the 'feel' of the mod too well.

-"The Return to Home" is very intriguing indeed, and I'm not quite sure what to make of this tantalizing bit of information. It is a very poetic sentiment, probably referring to a metaphorical journey rather than merely physical. It does suggest, however, a return to the spawn point. The original spawn point always has seemed special to me, it is the only absolutely unchangeable thing about your world as the compass needle will always point there, and I always like to build my first base within easy walking distance of it (my main world has a tiny monument of sorts on the exact spot of my original spawn, a pumpkin-head effigy with a sign saying "Never forget where you come from"). I am inclined to believe that the structure will have to be centered on this point to take effect, poetically ending the current age in the same place it began. One can only hope that a single, solitary tear will role down Steve's cheek as the land changes before his eyes, confirming in one moment the potential for both creation and destruction in a world where he rules as a demigod.

Wow, that took a while to type :P I think the weather change idea is a nice blend of using vanilla mechanics with a BTW twist, hope my speculation contributed something to the discussion!

Edit: for spelling
Shmooooo

Post by Shmooooo »

Steve, the evil one, the controller, the bringer of suffering to a once pure land, wouldn't abandon what he worked so hard on. Oh no. After all, why would the creatures of this world oppose him so violently if all he wanted to do was leave? No, no, they knew that Steve would exact vengeance on the forces of his former existence by reeling them into his domain, the very realm on which his presence is like a cancerous blemish.

Steve would bring his home to him. By creating a geographically perfect beacon he would grasp his past plane of existence across the infinite-dimensional void, slamming it violently into the world he currently inhabits, indelibly altering its landscape. With his enemies of yore - still strong, and now desperate to fight back - reeled in as though by a fishing hook across a sea of realities yet to exist, Steve would systematically assert himself as the one true ruler. The only one worthy of tyrannical power. The object of worship and fear for all within his reach.

And Steve isn't one to hold back his ambitions.
BTW Wiki word wrangler, sentence surgeon, paragraph purger.

Bad writing is like a tangled string: it's easier to cut it than to untie it. Mediocre writing is like a loose string: you can pull it taut to have some left over. Good writing is a hemp fibre.