Raust's Mods Thread (Discussing Project Enderscale)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves

Which of my mods do you use?

Doggy Talents
29%
TTWTTTTT
9%
MagiCats
18%
Raust's Tools
32%
Nyctophobia
12%

Total votes: 34
Poppycocks

Re: Raust's Mods Thread (DISCUSSING BANDITS MOD IDEA)

Post by Poppycocks »

I dunno, I've either been playing it plain wrong or it's too OP/unbalanced for me.

I now have more glue I know what to do with, enough diamonds to make a batch of lenses, 6 stacks of iron and enough leather to turn my bovine farm off for several real days.

EDIT: Spelling/grammar.
Last edited by Poppycocks on Thu May 24, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Poppycocks wrote:I dunno, I've either been playing it plain wrong or it's too OP/unbalanced for me.

I now have more glue I know what to do with, enough diamonds to make a batch of lenses, 6 stacks of iron and enough leather to turn of my bovine farm for several real days.
Oh I agree the amount of drops you get from it are kinda OP. Nonetheless it's a cool new kind of 'game mode' that is not offered by any other mod.
sargunv
Site Admin

Re: Raust's Mods Thread

Post by sargunv »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Any thoughts on this?
Please do this. :)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Yes, please do. I think I'd design and get villagers to populate cities just for this purpose.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Katalliaan wrote:Yes, please do. I think I'd design and get villagers to populate cities just for this purpose.
sargunster wrote:
Andellmere wrote:If you make these bandits, it will give me an excuse to try fortifying a village again. And then place an invasion block in the middle of town.
I predict much chaos and many panicked nights. Right up until bandits and invasion mobs attack together. And then, we all die.

I have to agree though: Give them unconventional ways of bypassing defenses. Or ways of making it so that conventional bypasses will work by those that follow.

@Poppycocks: The hell kind of walls were you using? Because one deep regenerating cobble walls don't do it. The zombies cluster and then tear through the wall at a single point now.
So it seems there's pretty high support for this idea, fantastic!
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Sothe Cuslinde

Post by Sothe Cuslinde »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:
Katalliaan wrote:Yes, please do. I think I'd design and get villagers to populate cities just for this purpose.
sargunster wrote:
Andellmere wrote:If you make these bandits, it will give me an excuse to try fortifying a village again. And then place an invasion block in the middle of town.
I predict much chaos and many panicked nights. Right up until bandits and invasion mobs attack together. And then, we all die.

I have to agree though: Give them unconventional ways of bypassing defenses. Or ways of making it so that conventional bypasses will work by those that follow.

@Poppycocks: The hell kind of walls were you using? Because one deep regenerating cobble walls don't do it. The zombies cluster and then tear through the wall at a single point now.
So it seems there's pretty high support for this idea, fantastic!
Just wondering, will the rouges/thieves be humans or some other type of creature?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Sothe Cuslinde wrote:Just wondering, will the rouges/thieves be humans or some other type of creature?
They will look like this:
Spoiler
Show
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Sothe Cuslinde

Post by Sothe Cuslinde »

jorgebonafe wrote:
Sothe Cuslinde wrote:Just wondering, will the rouges/thieves be humans or some other type of creature?
They will look like this:
Spoiler
Show
Their boobs wouldn't so good blocky, unless you're into that kind of thing.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Sothe Cuslinde wrote:Their boobs wouldn't so good blocky, unless you're into that kind of thing.
Idk... I kind miss the old Lara Croft....
RaustBlackDragon

Sothe, interesting question. I'm thinking they should be humanOID, but not charonites or testificates, probably some other thing I'd make up.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Sothe, interesting question. I'm thinking they should be humanOID, but not charonites or testificates, probably some other thing I'd make up.
Cenobites?
RaustBlackDragon

jorgebonafe wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:Sothe, interesting question. I'm thinking they should be humanOID, but not charonites or testificates, probably some other thing I'd make up.
Cenobites?
I'm flattered, really.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:I'm flattered, really.
Seriously, nothing would be more awesome then a cenobite invasion on MC....
Sothe Cuslinde

Post by Sothe Cuslinde »

jorgebonafe wrote:
Sothe Cuslinde wrote:Their boobs wouldn't so good blocky, unless you're into that kind of thing.
Idk... I kind miss the old Lara Croft....
Her's were pointy, not blocky.

Well, just make sure it's not something like faeries or something, something that would actually sound like it could be a thief.

Before anyone says "faeries can be thieves too", yes I know but, their species usually isn't known to steal. Unless you get one of those creepier faerie stories.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Kobolds?
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Pigmen?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Pfft, pigmen.

Anyway, kobolds, that brings me back to another mod idea I had.

At some point in playing minecraft I realized that most mobs are so easy to slaughter because they're neither using attack patterns nor cooperating.

I had ideas for several different mobs using new attacking mechanics - griphons for one, which would instead of trying to "hit" you, try to swoop down, grab you and drop you.

But kobolds stood out. What I came up in regards to how they could attack was this: I was thinking about three different types of units; smashers, x-bows and berserkers. When entering combat they would quaff a jumping potion. The attack pattern would be as such - the smashers would move (depending on numbers) either in a chess or checkers formation. When in chess formation they would create a wide line, move one block towards you and swipe at the air in front of them, when in checkers formation one would jump over the other and swipe, then the one behind him would in turn jump him and again swipe. This is interesting as it provides both attack and defense. The x-bows could be able to jump up to 3 or 4 blocks, and attack in a jump - shoot - jump - reload patter. This has the potential of being quite dangerous combined with a line of smashers closing in on you. The berserker could behave like a normal mob but charge you with both arms swinging in a flurry of steel - similar to the golem. A big stomping attack would add the final touch for an extra dangerous mob to keep an eye out for. That sounded to me way more fun than a clump of mobs trying to come within touching distance ram you.

I then proceeded to expand the idea to differently flavored mob bases (dungeons) with bosses but that's taken a bit too far.

But the core idea is what I'm trying to promote is attack patterns. Like in the old and fun games. Did you ever play aria of sorrow? Then you know what I'm talking about. Something that would take the MASSIVE BORE out of minecraft combat.
RaustBlackDragon

Poppycocks wrote:Did you ever play aria of sorrow? .
Did. I. The fuck. Ever.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Catox

Post by Catox »

you mentioned spies.
Spies should obviously have a testificate skin.
Now combine this with Assassin and you get some fake testificates killing you when you turn your back to them.
RaustBlackDragon

Catox wrote:
you mentioned spies.
Spies should obviously have a testificate skin.
Now combine this with Assassin and you get some fake testificates killing you when you turn your back to them.
I was thinking they'd be able to disguise themselves so well they'd look like a different race, I mainly want to avoid it being difficult to tell at a glance who the bandits are (unless they're spies of course)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Catox

Post by Catox »

You can have their eyes shine or something now and then.
Or their behavior slightly different.
Like moving less often, or staring a long time at things and beings.

Or you could add the ability to mark villagers, like putting a name on their head like you did with wo... I mean with dogs.
You'd have to study villagers behavior before giving it a marker that would allow you to trust the ladd from then on.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:
Poppycocks wrote:Did you ever play aria of sorrow? .
Did. I. The fuck. Ever.
Right, then you know what I mean. Those disc knights? With those sawblade yo-yo's of doom? Quite nasty, yeah? -No. Duck, jump, hit it the face, rinse repeat. Complicated? Somewhat, fun? If you defeat 'em yeah, definitely. Memorizing the attack patterns and response patterns was a big challenge and a lot of fun. The thing is that MC lends itself to this behavior perfectly, just look at the monster spawning rules for example. It's really just a pattern you can master.

So yeah, that's something I definitely would like to see in MC.

But excuse me for hi-jacking your thread with my silly and only very remotely related banter, I'm going to shoot myself in the foot now.
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

Poppycocks wrote:Right, then you know what I mean. Those disc knights? With those sawblade yo-yo's of doom? Quite nasty, yeah? -No. Duck, jump, hit it the face, rinse repeat. Complicated? Somewhat, fun? If you defeat 'em yeah, definitely. Memorizing the attack patterns and response patterns was a big challenge and a lot of fun. The thing is that MC lends itself to this behavior perfectly, just look at the monster spawning rules for example. It's really just a pattern you can master.
Sorry for continuing this, but it made me think of the game Monster Hunter. It's a great game, but it has a massive learning curve right at the beginning. If you figure out the attack patterns and the body language of the monsters you fight, it's incredibly rewarding as you can almost literally dance around them, raining blows down constantly.
I highly doubt anyone will recognize the franchise, but I'm really hoping someone knows what I'm talking about. >.<

On topic, I like the idea of bandits! Interesting mechanics aplenty and I can already think of some fortifications.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
Sothe Cuslinde

Post by Sothe Cuslinde »

Direwolf's episode 41 finally features doggy talents.
RaustBlackDragon

Sothe Cuslinde wrote:Direwolf's episode 41 finally features doggy talents.
Heh, yeah, that was unexpected :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?