Minecraft snapshots

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
lostone1993

Minecraft snapshots

Post by lostone1993 »

Wasn't sure if this fitted in the news thread

I feel Sick, I am seeing the Game I have loved for years being destoryed in a short few months

It just the same sickness/sinking feel I felt when CNC 4 came out

anyone else Feeling the same ?
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
Poppycocks

Re: Minecraft snapshots

Post by Poppycocks »

Meh, stupid features you can leave unused, or get a mod which remove them.

But yes, fanboys are stinking up the place, and mojang is behaving like a harbor whore. It's fairly unfair that modders have to pick it all up and make right again.

Then again, we might get more GOOD modders this way.

Jeb is a really nice guy, he really is. He just ain't got no idea.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Well, I do see a use for the Ender Chest, so that you can drop excess material into it, pump it out under BTW/BTB, sort it out, send the gold/iron to the kiln, send diamond/lapis/emerald to storage chests (maybe after some processing), clay to the turntable/kiln/soul filler....

Ooooh so much that can be done. We can replace the neither with cobble!
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Thats not really possible, a destroyed Ender chest don´t drop the items that were in.
We coul´d just use it to collect the items to an central place.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

He's talking about with Better Then Buildcraft not vanilla minecraft...
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Elevatator wrote:Thats not really possible, a destroyed Ender chest don´t drop the items that were in.
We coul´d just use it to collect the items to an central place.
In BTB you can pump the items out of a chest, so you can have a central factory (which is what I'm working on now.

Now, if Jeb makes different colored Ender Chests, you can have one going in, one going out. Does anyone know if vMC's server simulates "Overworld" and the Neither side by side?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

It only simulates loaded chunks so it could only simulate both if you we're playing with someone else and one of you was by the chest in the nether and the other by the chest in the overworld...
MisterFiber

Post by MisterFiber »

Self-indulgent whiny tl;dr post incoming:

Minecraft has been far less appealing to me since 1.8 was released. Initially I was extremely excited for the immanent release of 1.8, but after its release and playing with 1.8 for a few hours, I quickly realized what a mess it truly was. The terrain was hideous, many of the new features were half-finished, and it only added more bugs. 1.9 was going to be the savior, but it ruined the game much more. Sure it fixed many of the bugs, but unless they're save-corrupting destructive bugs, I don't give a damn about them. I love bugs sometimes. Anyway, the reason 1.9 ruined it for me even more was because of the moronic villages. No matter how complete they become, I hate them.

1.7.3 was perfect. Not necessarily from a content perspective (the gameplay features in 1.8+ are awesome), but from an artistic appeal sense. in 1.7.3 and below, you awaken on the beach, no sign of any past inhabitants, and no clue what to do. Just you and your wolf in this unexplored land. Now, you wake up in a tree or pile of grass, you look around and see poorly constructed villages and mineshafts, with big-nosed cross-eyed idiots getting eaten by zombies and reproducing by the dozen every day in the streets. You're not alone anymore, just a genius in a world of superior morons who've been messing with this world far longer than you've been here. I hate it.

I understand I can disable structures, but for some reason I still can't get over the fact that they're still in the code, and I'd still like to keep the Nether fortresses. Those are pretty dang cool.

And that's why I only play with generator ports: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/995 ... -are-back/

Sorry 'bout that.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

MisterFiber wrote:Self-indulgent whiny tl;dr post incoming:
-snip-
meh, I don’t mind, I agree with most of the post

Most of the structure gen annoys me mainly because you can get a ravine or mineshaft etc straight though a stronghold or other generated structure, this annoys me to no end

Thanks for the mod link btw

On a side note, Minecraft for Xbox so smooth and best starting place ever: P
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

STrRedWolf wrote:In BTB you can pump the items out of a chest, so you can have a central factory (which is what I'm working on now.
Yeah, I will personally make sure that Buildcraft will never be able to pump items out of the ender chest. That just breaks BTB big time and I won't allow it.

I'm actually kinda glad that teleport pipes don't work anymore, even though I mourn for people's worlds, especially those that ran it because of performance issues.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

MisterFiber wrote:You're not alone anymore, just a genius in a world of superior morons who've been messing with this world far longer than you've been here. I hate it.
Yeah, games are supposed to be different from real life, god dammit. xD
jehanum

Post by jehanum »

Gilberreke wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:In BTB you can pump the items out of a chest, so you can have a central factory (which is what I'm working on now.
Yeah, I will personally make sure that Buildcraft will never be able to pump items out of the ender chest. That just breaks BTB big time and I won't allow it.

I'm actually kinda glad that teleport pipes don't work anymore, even though I mourn for people's worlds, especially those that ran it because of performance issues.
Well, there go my plans for a permanent base in the nether, with a buildcraft quarry feeding clay/iron/coal into an enderchest in the overworld, and one in the nether feeding a soul forged steel factory. Not to mention the ability to send the output of all your overworld farms to the nether. I realize I'd still need to spend a couple hours at a time in the overworld to let the farms run, but that wouldn't have been a problem. Moving items between dimensions would be the only thing I'd use it for. Any chance of it being at all usefull has just evaporated. Why is it some people only focus entirely on the fact that it could be exploited, and completely ignore any potential that it might add. I hate to say it, but it's like you think we're kids who can't be trusted to use it in a responsible way. I understand there are those who will, but why punish those who won't just for that reason?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

jehanum wrote:Well, there go my plans for a permanent base in the nether, with a buildcraft quarry feeding clay/iron/coal into an enderchest in the overworld, and one in the nether feeding a soul forged steel factory. Not to mention the ability to send the output of all your overworld farms to the nether. I realize I'd still need to spend a couple hours at a time in the overworld to let the farms run, but that wouldn't have been a problem. Moving items between dimensions would be the only thing I'd use it for. Any chance of it being at all usefull has just evaporated. Why is it some people only focus entirely on the fact that it could be exploited, and completely ignore any potential that it might add. I hate to say it, but it's like you think we're kids who can't be trusted to use it in a responsible way. I understand there are those who will, but why punish those who won't just for that reason?
The behavior you describe as being lost is exactly the exploit I'm talking about -.-'
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jehanum

Post by jehanum »

Gilberreke wrote:
jehanum wrote:Well, there go my plans for a permanent base in the nether, with a buildcraft quarry feeding clay/iron/coal into an enderchest in the overworld, and one in the nether feeding a soul forged steel factory. Not to mention the ability to send the output of all your overworld farms to the nether. I realize I'd still need to spend a couple hours at a time in the overworld to let the farms run, but that wouldn't have been a problem. Moving items between dimensions would be the only thing I'd use it for. Any chance of it being at all usefull has just evaporated. Why is it some people only focus entirely on the fact that it could be exploited, and completely ignore any potential that it might add. I hate to say it, but it's like you think we're kids who can't be trusted to use it in a responsible way. I understand there are those who will, but why punish those who won't just for that reason?
The behavior you describe as being lost is exactly the exploit I'm talking about -.-'
I understand your position, and am well aware of the fact that enderchests could basically replace pipes. I also understand that there are individuals that would do just that. They'd be fools, as that would literally gut a core part of the mod, and I personally believe it would take the fun out of the mod. I guess I just expect better from the core users of this mod. We are not your average run of the mill MC players, at least I like to think so. If we were, we wouldn't be using these mods. I also fail to see how using them strictly for item transport between realms would break the mod, as there is currently no way to do that in either BTW or BTB, and this is the only thing I personally would ever use them for.

Anyway, I understand your's and Flower's postions, and realize that most of the community is against the chests as well, so I will bow to the majority. I apologize for wasting your time, and will keep my opinions on the matter to myself from now on. Thank you again for the taking up the torch and continuing this mod, Gilberekke.
Catox

Post by Catox »

jehanum wrote:I also fail to see how using them strictly for item transport between realms would break the mod, as there is currently no way to do that in either BTW or BTB, and this is the only thing I personally would ever use them for.
What it would allow is just this : you got afk somewhere arround your nether portal, you then get through it, and repeat the process endlessly.
There would be no sort of thinking necessary to put this kind of mechanism in place. If nothing else, I'd say that's where it breaks the idea behind BTW and BTB.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

There's a big issue, though, that Flowerchild and Gilberreke need to consider: They're splitting out the client code so that the client will be connecting to an internal "server":

From Jeb on May 3rd:
Important! This week’s snapshot is extra experimental!

This week we’ve started working on separating the server logic from the client. The purpose of this is both to make it easier for us to add features (since we don’t have to implement stuff “twice”), and also to make it possible for you to invite people to play on your local computer without setting up a server. In other words, more like how it works on Minecraft: Pocket Edition.

The work has not been completed yet, though, but a snapshot’s a snapshot. However, the game should still run fine...
So that we're clear on this, and in the context of this discussion, I'll use "local" for "on your PC" and "remote" for "somewhere that you need to have an ISP for to connect to it."

If I gather this correctly, there will be times where Overland and Neither (and maybe the End) will be running at the same time locally, just as it would be remotely. That's going to break BTW/BTB until it's ported to server side.

This also means they better have the mod API working when it hits 1.3 Release, because 99% of the scene needs it.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

That's a bit of old news, Red. They've also said that they're putting the mod API off until 1.4 for whatever reason.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Katalliaan wrote:That's a bit of old news, Red. They've also said that they're putting the mod API off until 1.4 for whatever reason.
Another push back, not even surprised at this point.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Gilberreke wrote:
not only that, if we're right in assuming that the anniversary update is/was/will be another dimension, and that the reason FC dumped all his stuff was because you can't take things with you, imagine what enderchests could do, even just vanilla ones...

although, I must admit, making a self sufficient base in the end would have been nice :P

however, you probably don't need to add anything to stop the pipes connecting to enderchests, I think BC already has a config option to stop pipes joining to certain things, PipeExceptionID or something...
(even if you do add something to make them not connect, would it be possible to make it a config option? it seems like the sort of thing that should be configurable)

edit: ah I just checked, it's woodenpipe.exclusion, so I guess it only stops you attaching wooden pipes, but I guess all you'd need to do is force BTB to make woodenpipe.exclusion=[whatever the enderchest ID will be] when it's installed, that way, the user can change it if they really want to pull items from the chest