Vertical Windmill

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DasKinder

Vertical Windmill

Post by DasKinder »

Was thinking of this a little ago. There was a windmill in an age of empires game that spun on a vertical axle. It would be cool to see this as an alternate set up for the windmills.

Like say it was place on a horizontal axle, its the normal windmill. But if placed on a vertical axle it has a vertical windmill graphic.

As for block size, i would say 3 in all cardinal directions (same as the water wheels width) and a 5/6 height from the axle to keep it comparable to the normal windmill size.

Good idea? or am i chasing a dream.
Greed cant get enough
Lust cant seek enough
Pride cant need enough
Envy cant be enough
Wrath cant hate enough
Gluttony cant consume enough
Sloth cant care enough

... are you enough?
Stormweaver

Re: Vertical Windmill

Post by Stormweaver »

Forgive me if I sound harsh, but is another source of mechinical power really needed?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DasKinder

Post by DasKinder »

Stormweaver wrote:Forgive me if I sound harsh, but is another source of mechinical power really needed?
No, just a variation to the windmill to make it more versatile and or a different look. It would be crafted the same and work the same. How you place it though determines the look

edit: its the same windmill, it just takes on a different graphic style when placed on a vertical axle
Last edited by DasKinder on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greed cant get enough
Lust cant seek enough
Pride cant need enough
Envy cant be enough
Wrath cant hate enough
Sloth cant care enough

... are you enough?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

so basically the ability to place the windmill horizontally?
DasKinder

Post by DasKinder »

Greed cant get enough
Lust cant seek enough
Pride cant need enough
Envy cant be enough
Wrath cant hate enough
Sloth cant care enough

... are you enough?
Ichi16

Post by Ichi16 »

well i was just wondering what purpose what it serve
would it bring anything new to the game or just be a mostly aesthetic update?
back to lurking
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Horizontal (or vertical, depending on how you look at it) windmills and waterwheels have often been brought up, but FC isn't going to do it. One thing to keep in mind for suggestions; FC won't make stuff that's purely cosmetic. If it doesn't serve a definite and useful purpose, he probably won't even consider it.

M'afraid that's all this would be really, is a way to make it look different. Would be kinda neat though.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Fracture wrote:Horizontal (or vertical, depending on how you look at it) windmills and waterwheels have often been brought up, but FC isn't going to do it. One thing to keep in mind for suggestions; FC won't make stuff that's purely cosmetic. If it doesn't serve a definite and useful purpose, he probably won't even consider it.

M'afraid that's all this would be really, is a way to make it look different. Would be kinda neat though.
Ah, but the problem with this summation is that it is not purely aesthetic. It's actually a way to change the limitations of the game. Granted, it's probably near-impossible to code anyways, but it's more than just for looks.

Take for example a horizontal waterwheel. Instead of taking up 5 blocks vertically (on the x and y planes), we now only deal with 5 be blocks horizontally (on the x and z planes). This allows for more to be built, theoretically, since we're limited on vertical blocks, but (almost) not horizontally. And you can make the argument, but 1 block is still more efficient than the 5 blocks in terms of the volume of creations.

Granted, you could turn that around and say that's one of the limitations that causes the waterwheel to take up such a large area (in comparison, of course), and that's entirely reasonable to say. But it isn't only aesthetic.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

KWilt wrote:
Fracture wrote:Horizontal (or vertical, depending on how you look at it) windmills and waterwheels have often been brought up, but FC isn't going to do it. One thing to keep in mind for suggestions; FC won't make stuff that's purely cosmetic. If it doesn't serve a definite and useful purpose, he probably won't even consider it.

Ah, but the problem with this summation is that it is not purely aesthetic. It's actually a way to change the limitations of the game. Granted, it's probably near-impossible to code anyways, but it's more than just for looks.

Take for example a horizontal waterwheel. Instead of taking up 5 blocks vertically (on the x and y planes), we now only deal with 5 be blocks horizontally (on the x and z planes). This allows for more to be built, theoretically, since we're limited on vertical blocks, but (almost) not horizontally. And you can make the argument, but 1 block is still more efficient than the 5 blocks in terms of the volume of creations.

Granted, you could turn that around and say that's one of the limitations that causes the waterwheel to take up such a large area (in comparison, of course), and that's entirely reasonable to say. But it isn't only aesthetic.
For all intents and purposes, however, it doesn't really add anything for us, it just lets us place stuff another way. While technically it's not purely aesthetic, it doesn't really bring anything new to the mod.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I agree with that fact that its not really needed but maybe if its not too much coding for FC it could be possible... There really isn't a huge need to shoot down every single suggestion either. FC is looking for quick and easy tasks right now maybe this could be one for him, he's already got the majority of the mechanism.
DasKinder

Post by DasKinder »

Deepsniper wrote:I agree with that fact that its not really needed but maybe if its not too much coding for FC it could be possible... There really isn't a huge need to shoot down every single suggestion either. FC is looking for quick and easy tasks right now maybe this could be one for him, he's already got the majority of the mechanism.
And it really isnt that hard to program either, i dont know how all the coding for minecraft works (partially cause I dont know how to do GUI's) but it would just be something like.

if (axel.getOrientation() == /*what ever it equals for horizontal axel*/){
windmill.horizontal().place(x,y);}
else{ /*cause there isnt any other orientation to be*/
windmill.vertical().place(x,y);}

not to hard, of course this is set up in a simplistic idea. but it can be easily done under the right circumstances

edit: for got to mention the graphical implementation, but that shouldnt take much longer depending on the programs being using to make them
Greed cant get enough
Lust cant seek enough
Pride cant need enough
Envy cant be enough
Wrath cant hate enough
Sloth cant care enough

... are you enough?
Jack Napier

Post by Jack Napier »

Fracture wrote:One thing to keep in mind for suggestions; FC won't make stuff that's purely cosmetic. If it doesn't serve a definite and useful purpose, he probably won't even consider it.
Forgive me for bumping this thread, at least I'm starting to get a feel for the person FC is, anyway.

Isn't half of Minecraft's appeal the cosmetics?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Jack Napier wrote:
Fracture wrote:One thing to keep in mind for suggestions; FC won't make stuff that's purely cosmetic. If it doesn't serve a definite and useful purpose, he probably won't even consider it.
Forgive me for bumping this thread, at least I'm starting to get a feel for the person FC is, anyway.

It might be for some people. For others it is not. That's a very subjective thing, why someone likes a video game.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Jack Napier wrote:Forgive me for bumping this thread, at least I'm starting to get a feel for the person FC is, anyway.

If you had started getting that feel, you wouldn't have necro'd this thread ... + we don't like necros without actual content here ...

And yes half of MC might be cosmetics but this mod almost solely focuses on the other half: contraptions.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I have to make the point here . This form of vertical axis wind turbine VAWTs are grossly inefficient compared to normal models.

I think they would look cool But can see no need for more easily set up wind mills. It is not a bad idea just not needed at this time.

[EDIT]
thinking about it some more maybe it could run in a storm given it's inefficient nature it would not turn as fast as normal wind mill even in extreme conditions.
To make it you would have to have a wind mill to make moldings then make a VAWTs from less material than a wind mill . The down side would have to be that the player would get damaged when to close to it and it would need a clear 15 X 15 X 15 cube of space around it. or something like that . giving it a place in between the wind mill and the water wheel . But that is still grasping at straws in terms of giving it a use in BTW
[\EDIT]
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Could we stop with the gods damned thread-necroing please?

From now on I'm issuing warnings and temporary bans for this kind of behavior. If you want to necro a thread, make sure you have a damned good reason, and are actually contributing something *not said before* to it.