Introducing Pandas Cooking! (Mochi!)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Panda

Introducing Pandas Cooking! (Mochi!)

Post by Panda »

So lets start off with some easy recipies:

Beginners Mochi:
Spoiler
Show

Ingredients:
1 Cup sweet red bean paste.
1 Cup water.
1 teaspoon matcha. (Green tea Powder)
1 Cup sweet mochiko. (sweet rice flower)
Alittle over 1/4 cup white sugar.
Corn startch for rolling (3/4 cup?)

Wrap red bean paste in aluminum foil in individual balls about as big as a quarter machien boncey ball (about 8), place in fridge for 3-4 hours.
Mix matcha and mochiko in a microwave safe bowl, add in water then sugar, mix tell smooth.
Cover with plastic wrap then microwave for three minutes thirty seconds. Stir mixture and microwave for another 25 seconds.
Make sure you work surface in dusted with cornstartch, and take out red bean paste.
WORK QUICK WELL ITS STIL HOT!
Take out your mochiko mix and make 8 equal sized balls. Flatten them and place red bean paste in the center. fold the sides over the red bean and pinch the top.
At this point theyle look like a garlic clove, flip them over and put them in a non stick cupcake paper. Now the pretty round side is up.WWww
Use up all the mix

(Its gonna be sticky so bring a tooth brush! =])
Last edited by Panda on Sun May 20, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never say no to Panda.
Sandrew

Re: Food from Home.

Post by Sandrew »

How about a general cooking thread? I'm not cooking often enough, so I suppose it would be good incentive for me to get into it again somewhat more often.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I would like that. I'm always interested in new recepies and I've liked the japanese food I've had.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I would love that, all of the recipes I find are watered down for us "westerners". It's so unbelievably annoying, I want the originals, and if I find them too strong in taste THEN I want to modify them according to MY tastes. Other than that I love stuff tasting like it's supposed to.

Can you cook ramen? Like... Naruto style ramen?

I can personally do a mean sweet'n'sour soup(Although I'm usually not making as thick as the guys in bistros are). (And a whole arsenale of mostly my own recipes(in case anyone is even remotely interested))
Catox

Post by Catox »

Yup, recipes that tastes like what they're supposed to should prevail.
Alas, sometimes no one really knows what a meal is really supposed to taste like, even in its original country.
You mentioned ramen for instance, but as far as I know, there are as many ramen recipes as there are ramen-ya owners, or at the very least, there are specific flavors for each town in the country. "what ramen should taste like" is different if you ask the question in Tokyo or in Hiroshima ^_^

Nonetheless I concur to this idea, should it be "Japanese meals" centered, or more open to anyone wanting to share their recipes, it's always nice what and how other people cook ^^

oh, and... requests :
- ramen for me, too
- okonimiyaki, please

Go go, Mister Ajiko ^o^ /
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Ah, I know. Still, Naruto ramen, with a whole egg, a slice of roast pork and a stick of celery :D. Or whatever it is they've been trying to portray in that damn anime.
Sothe Cuslinde

Post by Sothe Cuslinde »

Poppycocks wrote:Ah, I know. Still, Naruto ramen, with a whole egg, a slice of roast pork and a stick of celery :D. Or whatever it is they've been trying to portray in that damn anime.

Don't forget about the fish paste.

Also requests
-Ramen
-taiyaki
-takoyaki
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Sothe Cuslinde wrote:
Poppycocks wrote:Ah, I know. Still, Naruto ramen, with a whole egg, a slice of roast pork and a stick of celery :D. Or whatever it is they've been trying to portray in that damn anime.

Also requests
-Ramen
-taiyaki
-takoyaki
I've been hearing a lot about fish paste and the Japanese, is that an inside joke, or?
Panda

Post by Panda »

well you have to remember the recipes are gonna be alittle more american because i cook with ingredients i can actually actually find around here.
Not ordering authentic red bean paste fron japan that would be hella expensive. Im gonna start with Panda style Ramen then red bean filled mochi (Cause im soo sweet :3).
Never say no to Panda.
Sothe Cuslinde

Post by Sothe Cuslinde »

Poppycocks wrote:
Sothe Cuslinde wrote:

Also requests
-Ramen
-taiyaki
-takoyaki
I've been hearing a lot about fish paste and the Japanese, is that an inside joke, or?
Fish paste is called "naruto" and Naruto likes naruto.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I would be so interested in a cooking thread. And would be happy to post any recipe for Armenian food whatsoever.
And HOW!
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:And would be happy to post any recipe for Armenian food whatsoever.
This. Do this. I've many cultures' foods in my cookbooks, but no Armenian.
Panda

Post by Panda »

PatrickSJ wrote:
Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:And would be happy to post any recipe for Armenian food whatsoever.
Honestly the best american cooking i've had has been 80% of the time cooked by african americans = ]
oh the ribs and greens....Yum <3
Never say no to Panda.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Panda wrote:
PatrickSJ wrote:
Honestly the best american cooking i've had has been 80% of the time cooked by african americans = ]
Armenian is something entirely different from American though.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Armenian food is, a lot of the time, similar to greek food.
And HOW!
Panda

Post by Panda »

Sandrew wrote:
Panda wrote:
PatrickSJ wrote:
Armenian is something entirely different from American though.
Sorry im extremely dyslexic...
Never say no to Panda.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Dyslexics of the world untie!
Gargantuan_Penguin

my dad is dyslexic. so I am used to it.
And HOW!
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

If life gives you melons....
You might be dyslexic.

Sorry, this discussion just reminded me of that. XD
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

I'm personally fond of kitsune udon, takoyaki and okonomiyaki (I lived in Osaka) so any recipes for those would be nice. Yakisoba and sukiyaki would also be good. Seeing as I live on the west coast, ingredients are a bit more available as well.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Panda wrote:So lately ive been doing alot of japanese cooking for my girlfriend, she usually likes it but it tends to be too authentic japanese for her.... ive modified what mom taught me to make it alittle more american friendly...
Wondering though if i should consider doing Pandas Japanese Recipe guide thread?
Would you guys like it? ide try to use ingredients findable at wegmans.
Thoughts?

I would like it, i really enjoy such things.
A general Cooking thread like someone write is a good idea.
I have many Italian and Spanish recepts i can share that are original like in my mothercountrys.
Last year i went to maroco searching all the time for a restaurant for native to eat something how they eat it, not to eat some african food but with european spices or for the european taste.

So do it I am very interessted i like Asian Kitchen especially very hot and tasty one. (And i mean very hot, not that what they call in Europa hot)
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I love Japanese cuisine, Panda, as you might well expect. Although, as everyone seems to be quite keen to see various recipes, perhaps you should start and maintain a central recipe thread, and update the OP with anchors to people's posts etc, perhaps arranging them by culture or something :).

I feel compelled to ask, though. When I went to Japan, I *loved* natto on rice. Apparently this was strange, as gaikokujin supposedly don't like it. So yeah, anyone else tried natto? (I'm assuming you have, Panda :P). What are people's thoughts on this fermented treat which splits people into love and hate groups as easily as marmite?
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
HighMongrel

Re: Introducing Pandas Cooking! (Mochi!)

Post by HighMongrel »

Thanks for the Mochi recipe Panda

@eriottosan
I'm firmly in the meh category as far as natto goes. Tastes fine, but the texture disagrees with me a bit.
Eriottosan

Re: Introducing Pandas Cooking! (Mochi!)

Post by Eriottosan »

I think I'll be trying out that mochi recipe rather soon :). Thanks, Panda!
HighMongrel wrote:I'm firmly in the meh category as far as natto goes. Tastes fine, but the texture disagrees with me a bit.
You are the first person I have ever met who doesn't love it or hate it :P.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?