Real Life BTW! (kind of, but ok, not really)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
tedium

Real Life BTW! (kind of, but ok, not really)

Post by tedium »

Okay, so it's only semi-BTW, but it's a cool little automated system you can build at home, that will produce food and recycle waste from around your house... and I wanted to share :)

EDIT: sorry, the pictures are massive :/

pic 1
Spoiler
Show
The planters are made from recycled coke bottles. Water slowly drips from the top reservoir into the first planter. Once the water level reaches a certain point, it creates a siphon in the hose that sucks all the water out and into the second planter, which repeats the process. I've added seaweed extract as fertilizer, but if you have a fish pond or tank, you can simply use that water, as fish waste makes great fertilizer. This system is my first prototype, and I plan to add a small air pump which will send water from the bottom back up to the top. All up, I have spent less than $6, which all went on the hose, and I used less than 10% of what I purchased. The planters are painted black to reduce the chance of algae growing, but I still need to do the same for the reservoirs. If you balance out the fish to plant ratio, it can completely filter the water from a tank or pond.

pic 2
Spoiler
Show
this broccoli plant was germinated from a seed, and planted a week before this photo was taken.

pic 3
Spoiler
Show
the same broccoli plant 2 weeks later. I have some I planted at the same time in the garden right next to my setup to compare them. The ones in the ground are doing slightly better, however my system currently only feeds the plants when I refill the top reservoir, which is once a day, and runs out after about 3 hours. With an air pump, they will receive nutrients 24/7, which i suspect will massively increase their growth rate.

So, anyone else do any fun home improvements that remind them of BTW?

Oh, and this whole design was inspired by hours of watching youtube video's on permaculture and aquaculture, and also the website http://www.windowfarms.org however I like to think the siphon system was my own invention, or at least i connected aquaponic concepts with windowfarms.
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Real Life BTW! (kind of, but ok, not really)

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, that's pretty darn cool :)
tedium

Post by tedium »

Hehe cheers, glad you like it. The long term goal is to make around 40 of these planters, all fed by a large indoor fish tank. Then, i get some Black Soldier Fly's, the larvae of which eat just about anything that is decomposing, including plant matter. Then I can grow vegies from fish waste, black soldier fly larvae from vegie waste, and the fish can eat the black soldier fly larvae. All that will be left is to decide which fish to grow, because I want to be able to eat them too ;)

i also plan to have some non-food plants indoors in the same system. the right balance of plants can dramatically increase air quality, which in turn can also reduce air conditioning requirements. if i can get it set up right, i'll have clean food, clean air and clean water, and if i use a small solar panel to power my pumps, the sun will provide it all for free.. except the baby fish, which i don't know how to breed... yet :)
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

If i try to talk about something i tried in theory in a game my gf gives me the "you cracker" look :/

Pretty cool man :p
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Hollister

Post by Hollister »

Heres my Hydroponic system:
Spoiler
Show
I use DWC but ide love to do a drip system, Very cool.

Edit: 1000w Grow light above it =]
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

tedium wrote:that will produce food and recycle waste from around your house...
The pics are not what I expected.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I would post some pics of my hemp farm but I am somewhat uncertain of the legality of it. ;)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...yes, let's avoid that shall we? I kept expecting to see precisely that when opening these pics ;)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Depends what country you are from :P

But seroiusly, I am damm impressed.
I am having a hard time visualising your entire system, I don't suppose you can do a "doodle" of the setup?

[+1 BUTTON]
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ethinolicbob wrote:Depends what country you are from :P
True, but it's a controversial topic (bordering on political) to get into on an international board.

Look, I've already made my views on this subject clear, subtly through the mod's design. However, if users start posting pics of their grow-ops...well, things become a helluva lot less subtle :)

Anyways, please don't post such pics. I don't want to deal with the fallout of something like that.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

This does make me want to post pics of my configurable Gardening Spear. Of course, I don't have any pics, so I supposed I'd have to take them.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote: Anyways, please don't post such pics.
Well that goes without saying.

But back to the topic on hand. After moving house I am going to get my garden pumping and this is a fantastic peice of inspiration to get me started.
Using soda bottles is such a great way to set things up. I have a large area to make a garden but with the amount of soda that gets consumed in my household I will have no problem getting a large scale operation going.
Also I am going to have a beehive :P
tedium

Post by tedium »

nice garden hollister, looking healthy :) if you are really interested in my drip system, it's based off the aquaponics ebb & flow principle. and it can be set up with an air pump, so you should be able to re-use that from your DWC setup if you decide to switch. i can't remember the exact physics, but you use the air to lift the water in small hose.

regarding the hemp comments... i wish i could say what i feel, but... but no. all i'll say is that hemp is not cannabis, and it's certainly not usable for a drug, unless you are using it to make bio-fuel that runs your methlab or something. in australia, it's regulation is based partly on the perception that people are dumb and don't know the difference, and might try smoke hemp. seriously, i read the Act regarding growing it commercially :)

ethinolicbob, i'm not much of a doodler sorry, but http://www.windowfarms.org/ has very similar setups and good diagrams, or search youtube for 'aquaponics' you will find many other peoples systems. that's where i'm getting most of my inspiration from :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tedium wrote:all i'll say is that hemp is not cannabis
Yeah, it is. You're confusing "Hemp" and "Industrial Hemp". Industrial Hemp is just a low THC strain of the same family of plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis
tedium

Post by tedium »

hehe, i was trying to avoid the M word... something did tickle my mind as to why i should use the word cannabis but i couldn't put my finger on it. silly me :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tedium wrote:hehe, i was trying to avoid the M word... something did tickle my mind as to why i should use the word cannabis but i couldn't put my finger on it. silly me :)
I think that would be wrong as well anyways man.

I really don't think there's a firm distinction between an industrial hemp plant and a pot plant other than the amount of THC it produces, and as for the hemp that was used historically...I really don't think they were concerned about how much THC it contained.

I'll even reference the song I used to use in my old hemp video ;)

tedium

Post by tedium »

you're right that the distinction isn't firm, but traditionally hemp does refer to industrial hemp, that being the crop planted for it's fibres/seeds. of course, that would vary region to region... but at least i can refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp XD i always thought that was why you called it hemp. to avoid confusion lol.

anyway, i didn't come back to talk about that

Ethinolicbob, i still can't create a good visualization of my plan, but i think the most confusing part is the way i'll pump water back to the top of the system. thay can be summed up with the following picture :)
Spoiler
Show
The liquid supply comes from a fishtank, or the whole thing can be semi-submerged into a fishpond. A small air pump will supply the air source. i need to do some maths to figure out how high i can lift the water, and what size air pump i'll need to do it, but i am fairly confident i only need a small pump (i can get a 3watt one for $12) as the air pressure build up occurs in the tank, and shouldn't feed back into the air pump. if this is so, i should be able to power the pump off a small cheap solar panel. i might even try to build one from all the old solar powered calculators i have lying around =D the only thing i can imagine might be a problem is that where the air pump meets the water, it might separate the water from the nutrients to a small degree, with could result in sediment buildup at the bottom of the tank. but that's just one of the reasons i'm taking the whole thing slowly ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tedium wrote:you're right that the distinction isn't firm, but traditionally hemp does refer to industrial hemp, that being the crop planted for it's fibres/seeds. of course, that would vary region to region... but at least i can refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp
Except for the first line of course:
This article is about industrial hemp. For its psychoactive variant, see Cannabis (drug). For the biology of the plant, see Cannabis. For other uses, see Hemp (disambiguation).
As far as I know, "Industrial Hemp" is a modern invention with plants either specifically bred or engineered to have a low THC count. As I mention above, I don't think people were particularly concerned with (or perhaps even aware of) how much THC their plants contained.

As for why I called it "Hemp" in the mod, it's because it reflects its use, because I believe that was the common name for the plant historically, because I was making a *subtle* statement, and frankly, because calling it anything else would have sounded kinda lame :)
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

FlowerChild wrote:
tedium wrote:you're right that the distinction isn't firm, but traditionally hemp does refer to industrial hemp, that being the crop planted for it's fibres/seeds. of course, that would vary region to region... but at least i can refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp
Except for the first line of course:
This article is about industrial hemp. For its psychoactive variant, see Cannabis (drug). For the biology of the plant, see Cannabis. For other uses, see Hemp (disambiguation).
As far as I know, "Industrial Hemp" is a modern invention with plants either specifically bred or engineered to have a low THC count. As I mention above, I don't think people were particularly concerned with (or perhaps even aware of) how much THC their plants contained.

As for why I called it "Hemp" in the mod, it's because it reflects its use, because I believe that was the common name for the plant historically, because I was making a *subtle* statement, and frankly, because calling it anything else would have sounded kinda lame :)
At least you write "It never ever be smokeable" (good thing you write that )

but to Topic:

I am very interested in such self creations, i made of waste and a fridge box a little functionally fridge for my PC to keep my beer and scotch cold
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
tedium

Post by tedium »

FlowerChild wrote: As far as I know, "Industrial Hemp" is a modern invention with plants either specifically bred or engineered to have a low THC count. As I mention above, I don't think people were particularly concerned with (or perhaps even aware of) how much THC their plants contained.
i dunno, i see the naming convention as being modern, but the practice being ancient. people have been cultivating the plant towards one of the two extremes for at least a thousand years, probably more. initially it was likely towards yield, but when they realised that such practices reduced potency, some would have branched off for the medicinal purposes. at that point, the concept of hemp vs cannabis was born, at least in my mind. academically you are completely correct... but i'd like to change that, without getting into the politics XD i'll conceed that smoking pot could ruin the world, but i have no doubt that hemp could save us from every current problem, from global warming to economic ruination (although it would probably just hold off the later, at the current rate... [wait, damnit no politics])

edit: re-reading this i realise that my problem stems from the classification of this plant being a political issue... i'll not say another word

Donzaffi, i'm curious about refrigeration systems actually. did you pull one apart, or just cut it down to size? i've been looking at these 'pop-can solar heaters' (youtube it) recently that use the simple heat absorbed by an empty soft drink can in the sun to capture heat. you simply put a bunch of cans in a sealed insulated unit with a glass window (preferably double glazed) that has air pumped through it, and place it facing the sun. i've seen some units raise the temperate up to near boiling point, without using mirrors or anything. i figure with the right gases, perhaps such solar heat could be used for refrigeration, or perhaps at least air-conditioning during those super hot sunny months. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tedium wrote:i dunno, i see the naming convention as being modern, but the practice being ancient. people have been cultivating the plant towards one of the two extremes for at least a thousand years, probably more. initially it was likely towards yield, but when they realised that such practices reduced potency, some would have branched off for the medicinal purposes.
That's if the culture in question even realized you could smoke it, and accepted it as a common practice. I know that some ancient cultures did, but I get the impression that north american settlers for example, weren't even really aware they could until the early 1900's, when Mexican migrant workers made the practice known.

Keep in mind that just because somebody is growing a crop, doesn't necessarily mean they are aware of all its potential uses. With Hemp in particular I think this would make sense as you're talking about specific parts of the plant, cutting down the chances of such a discovery being made.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

But if I know right, there are many types of plants that you can buy for asthetics that are smokeable, but many don't know too, (no I don't tell which type ;) )

Okay its a bit offtopic but if I know right hemp was used a long time and you can made also paperlike out of it, but the paperindustrie was against it and started a campaign against the hemp, thats at least that what my Professor teaches us.

@ Tedium
do you have other selfmade automated systems ?
I really enjoy build such things if you have some we can share some ideas if you like. For example I am working on a system to click my mouse button on the same height in a online card game because i have not the time to do everytime, or i forget it.
(okay perhaps because I am a lazy one, and I love Photoshop for making my work so easy with automatism xD)
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Hey Tedium,

You said that you haven't got your fish setup yet. I am wondering what you are using for a nutrient solution. Compost tea? Store purchased hydroponic feed?
Since you posted this I have also been looking seriously into this. I am trying to see if there is a way I can go from vege waste to a hydroponic system without the use of fish however most sources claim that things like compost teas are incomplete and need additives which does not help automation.
Aquaponics however seems to be mostly automated once the system is setup, as far as the nutrient solution is concerned anyway.
I suppose I can make a large goldfish pond however my partner has some irrational dislike to fish.
tedium

Post by tedium »

Donzaffi, i don't have any other systems at the moment. but i have been looking at semi-automatic systems that use nature as the driving force. my current favorite thing is this mobile chicken coop, but it's intended to be on a size of at least a hobby farm. i have tons of relatives who are farmers, at least on a small scale, and most of them raise cattle in fields. the awesome thing about cows and chickens is how you can get them to interact. cow dung is full of nutrients, but sits there in a big lump. after a week, bugs will pretty much have obliterated that lump, and you can end up with fly problems on your farm. but chickens eat fly larvae. so as you rotate cows out of a field, if you rotate chickens into it, they will pick apart the cow dung to eat the maggots, and this will also help to spread the dung around the field. chickens get fed, ground gets fertilized, a month later the grass has grown back (instead of it taking 3 months) and you can start the rotation again. plus, you get free range chickens XD and between the chicken and cow dung, you can actually re-use that field for crops within a few years, without having to use industrial fertilizers. this is actually the basis of one of the techniques that died out with the industrial revolution, and only remains in practice amongst a few organic farmers, and small traditional farmers (who have mostly been economically destroyed by the cheapness of oil). but i figure with the right mobile chicken coop design, it could increase the economic potential of many small farmers, and they can build it for the most part themselves. the tricky part of this design will be making it lightweight and maneuverable, but still durable and cheap. i've seen other people do it, but on a much larger scale (i saw one with the capacity for 300 chickens!)

Ethinolicbob, at the moment I am only using a liquid fertilzer made from seaweed extract, called Maxicrop. i thought it was organic but now that i'm reading the lable i think i was wrong. it cost me about $5 for a bottle that will last an entire season on my small vegie garden (about 10 cabbage plants, 15 lettuce varieties, 10 broccoli, 4 snow pea plants, a pumpkin plant and some herbs (basic, oregano, chives, rosemary, thyme)). It contains added nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, and you simply dilute it in water and use it once a week. i'm using 5ml's to feed my two plants in the drip feed planters once a week, and by the end of the week the water has gone from dark brown to light brown. then i switch the water out with fresh rainwater and use the leftovers on my in-ground garden.

the big problem with making fertilizers is getting the right nutrients into it. my understanding with compost tea is that you almost need to have a plant dedicated to producing those nutrients and nothing else, which you add to the compost mix. using the waste products from you garden, or store brought food, will rarely provide all the required nutrients. i guess it's one thing all life seems to have in common. cannibalism doesn't help growth. the other problem with compost tea is getting too much of one nutrient, which can quickly throw off the pH balance. if fact, most aquaponic systems i have seen don't use their garden waste to re-feed their system at all, but instead just make a worm farm, and use the compost for other area's of their garden. but then most of them feed their fish with store brought pellets. so i guess using a liquid fertilizer isn't really cheating, it's just making life easier. from what i've seen, this seaweed extract is giving my broccoli all the nutrients it needs, but time will tell.

you are right that the easiest way to get things balanced and therefore running on their own is to use fish. but this does still have some issues, and does require some maintenance. pH levels can spike from the stupidest of things. i'm pretty sure my first prototype was ruined because i was using clear plastic, which allowed algae to grow in the base of the planter. rookie mistake :( another issue i saw someone encounter on youtube was that during summer, their fish were eating mosquito larvae that were being laid in the tank. free food is good, but you have to pay attention to notice it. they kept feeding their fish the standard amount, which led to a buildup of un-eaten food on the bottom of the tank, which again messed with pH levels.

so no matter how automated you get it, and how similar to a natural self-sustaining enviroment it is, you always have to pay attention to the little things. the gardeners that have these systems down and post youtube video's all seem to agree that they spend at least 2 hours each week during the slow season, and from 5 - 10 hours a week during harvesting and replanting seasons. but of course, some of those systems produce enough food that these people are able to eat all they need, and sell a small amount off at local markets. not bad for a one hour a day job ;)

oh and finally, FC... smoking may not have been practiced extensively until the 1900's, but eating came long before that, and so did oil-extractions. it wasn't a recreational thing, it was medicinal, but it was recognized long before america was even discovered. the discovery was likely made when someone harvested the flowers for whatever purpose, and then accidentally licked their fingers. or more accurately, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashish :)

i can be tedious to read, for i am tedium! XD
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

tedium wrote: some of those systems produce enough food that these people are able to eat all they need
Yeah that is the ideal. However at the moment I am looking hard at the theory. Got to sort out the compost and/or wormfarm for the basic garden.
Using compost teas does seem to have a lot of variables that need to be monitored closely, more than the aquaponics system seems to need, however the fish food is something that I need to look into. The place I have moved into has a giant old pear tree that seems to not be growing pears too well. I wonder if there is anything I can do to get it pumping out pears again. An old family friend had a aviary that was fed by breeding beetle larvae off fruit from the orchid.

Thank you so much for sharing this. Just one more notch in my belt closer to being self sustainable. One more thing to help me survive a zombie apocalypse!